Iowa Week! What's most important? (poll)

Why do you want to beat Iowa?

• Umm, cause it's IOWA! Duh!

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Floyd needs to come home.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • To get to 10-0! Has that ever happened?

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • Because, combined with a Bucky loss we win the West!

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • I'd like to see all possible trophies in the Bierman Bldg.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • I'd like to lose and put more emphasis on the Badger GameDay chances.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
Why do you want to beat Iowa?

That's kind of a silly question to me. The Hawkeyes are the most hated of all the B1G teams to me! Closely followed by Wisconsin, but most hated definitely!

I hate Iowegian fans the most. The day they filled the metrodome with their foulness and took down the goalposts is etched in my memory.

I hate the Fadgers as a team the most because of their dominance the past two + decades.

My hatred for WI fans is at 10x more than IA fans. It's because of their domination in the series the last 20 years and mostly because I work with 10x more people from WI than from IA. So I have to hear about the Badgers AND the Packers constantly.

10-0 and one step closer to winning the Big Ten!

All of the reasons! A fuller trophy case, 10-0 keeps bigger dreams alive, “we hate Iowa”.... I work with Iowa fans who I don’t want to give me a hard time... Want to see how Gopher crazy this state can get!

At this point, its all about the winning record. Lets run the table. Lets set our aspirations high. Lets get to the BIG Championship and win it. Lets get to some real meaningful january football.

Last year I was able to get to Camp Randall for the first time, and the very first thing I noticed, and it made me belly laugh, was all their banners were rose bowl appearances. Thats it. They had nothing else. Well, guess what? the Rose bowl is nothing what it used to be. It is all about the playoff. So now I am thinking to myself, how sweet it would be for us to make the playoff after all their years of being a "national brand", the SI cover, hell even the beginning of this year where they looked unstoppable and then couldnt get it done against Illinois. It is just so fitting for Us, the gophers, being upstarts and shattering all their glory in one year, doing it before they do it, that's what this season is about. Lets row the boat to the playoff baby.

At this point, its all about the winning record. Lets run the table. Lets set our aspirations high. Lets get to the BIG Championship and win it. Lets get to some real meaningful january football.

Last year I was able to get to Camp Randall for the first time, and the very first thing I noticed, and it made me belly laugh, was all their banners were rose bowl appearances. Thats it. They had nothing else. Well, guess what? the Rose bowl is nothing what it used to be. It is all about the playoff. So now I am thinking to myself, how sweet it would be for us to make the playoff after all their years of being a "national brand", the SI cover, hell even the beginning of this year where they looked unstoppable and then couldnt get it done against Illinois. It is just so fitting for Us, the gophers, being upstarts and shattering all their glory in one year, doing it before they do it, that's what this season is about. Lets row the boat to the playoff baby.

I’d rather go to the Rose Bowl personally, but I get what you’re saying. We’d crush their fan base and everything by making it to the playoff. Beating their peak, after all the greatness they’ve had, and swooping in and going further than them out of nowhere in a season where most would have thought it was highly unlikely. That would be the ultimate slap to their faces. And when it comes to the Rose Bowl, I want us to make it because it was my Dads dream to see them play there and he never got to. But if this is the start to many great seasons, maybe I’d be okay with maybe getting there in the next couple years instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d rather go to the Rose Bowl personally, but I get what you’re saying. We’d crush their fan base and everything by making it to the playoff. Beating their peak, after all the greatness they’ve had, and swooping in and going further than them out of nowhere in a season where most would have thought it was highly unlikely. That would be the ultimate slap to their faces. And when it comes to the Rose Bowl, I want us to make it because it was my Dads dream to see them play there and he never got to. But if this is the start to many great seasons, maybe I’d be okay with maybe getting there in the next couple years instead.

Thanks for backing up my point and saying it better than i could have. But, yes, I am going for the ultimate slap in their faces.

I understand the hsitory is their for some with the rose bowl, but as a first generation gopher, I am meh on it. I want to be the Pretty Girl at the Big Dance.

I want the Pig back in our trophy case. Also 10-0 would be pretty cool I guess ;)

The answer is always #1.

If we were 0-9, I'd desperately want to beat Iowa. One of the better Gopher games of my life was when a crappy Gopher team beat Iowa with Horton as our coach.

If the Bierman Bldg was hit by a meteor next week and that pig melted, I would still want to desperately beat Iowa.

The most important reason why we want to win on Saturday is because the other team represents the University of Iowa.

Just saying. What if we made it to the playoffs and got blown away in the first game. To me and many, many other real Gopher fans, missing out on the Rose Bowl would seem to have been a dream totally missed. I don't much care for the term "Bucket List", but the Rose Bowl and the Rose Bowl parade are still right at the very top of that concept. The Gopher band marching in the Parade playing our songs. Elite!! I'll go with the Gophers no matter how things play out, but the real chance to be playing in the Rose Bowl was just unthinkable until three days ago. Unthinkable.

Holy smokes. You are fired up. I think you guys are a virtual lock to win the West! No one else is even close to being in your league. Play-offs are a near certainty.

I'm kinda wishing I had taken a $10 flyer on the Gophers to win the National Championship before the season.

Wonder what the odds were?

To see our enemies driven before us and hear the lamentations of their women

I just want to be 10-0.

Wisconsin is the rivalry that really get's my blood boiling. Then again, I grew up just across the Saint Croix River from that horrid place.

I think our Rose Bowl chances increase with a loss, so........

The National playoff would be awesome but, I can still remember attending gopher practices in the 80’s when some players wore practice jerseys with roses on them. The Rose Bowl has been a dream denied for 5 decades. I’d love to go there. The Gopher band in the parade would be really cool!

We’re 2 wins away from the West title. Let’s get there first by beating Iowa Saturday.

Last edited:

Iowa is the one game that matters most to me - more so than WI. I lived in WI for four years, and lived in IA for five years, and in my book, Hawkeye fans are much worse than WI.

Disclaimer - I lived in WI during the end of the Don Morton era, when WI was down and didn't have much to brag about. (actually met Don Morton once - turned out we had a friend in common....) But even now, I know people who are WI fans and they aren't jerks about it. But IA fans act like they've won a bunch of national titles and dominated the conference.

And, I humbly submit that Floyd is the best trophy in college FB - more so than the Axe.

so yeah, I want to see the Gopher Seniors hauling Floyd across the field at Kinnick.

and, in more practical terms, a win at IA gives the Gophers a 2-game lead in the standings with 2 games to play - including a game against the worst NW team in decades. So a win Saturday gives the Gophs a chance to clinch the Division title against NW.

Iowa is the one game that matters most to me - more so than WI. I lived in WI for four years, and lived in IA for five years, and in my book, Hawkeye fans are much worse than WI.

I’ve been to a number of the B1G stadiums including both WI and IA many times each. I have always said that in my experience, without a doubt, that Iowa has the worst fans in the conference. Not even close.

I start every season with the same goals:

Beat Iowa, win Floyd
Beat Wisconsin, win Axe
Have a winning record
Become Bowl eligible
Beat Nebraska - get chair parts
Win B1G West
Win B1G
I honestly admit, this is where my goals stop. But not this year!
CFP Playoff

Schedule prevents this from being in order.

I'd like to point out that accomplishing any of these things does NOTHING to diminish the importance of beating Iowa and Wisconsin!

Because combined with a win over a not good NW team, Gophers win the West without having to worry about beating a uw team that has beaten us soooooo many times in a row other than last year.

One of the cherished memories as a Gopher fan I have is in 2010 when the Gophers upset Iowa. Still have a picture of me and the Pig at my desk. It is my favorite trophy. Missed seeing it a lot these last few years. That and 1999 when the Gophers were going bowling for the first time in a very long time, that Iowa game and being on the field celebrating was very special. I did not know that would be the last time we would be on the field celebrating for a very long time. We do not get along with Iowa Hawkeyes on the football field, a win over them in their place is special, and we need this game to keep the train rolling towards Indianapolis. We compete a lot with Iowa for recruits so this is always an important game. Needless to say Iowa is a big Rivalry and always an important game every year regardless of record.

Last edited:

Top Bottom