PSU Should Have Probably Won That Game

HoustonTXGopher

Reaction score
I haven't heard it discussed at all, but if PSU would have just traditionally taken their points when offered to them they probably remain unbeaten:

Had they kicked the extra point instead of going for two......4 point differential

Had they kicked the field goal on fourth down inside the ten yard line.....1 point differential

Now, they only need a field goal to win at the end of the game instead of a touchdown. -2 point differential

I am so glad it all played out like it did, but it is another reminder in football to take your (somewhat) sure points and let the game play out.

GO GOPHERS!

Hard to say. Gophers probably don't go conservative in the 4q either. PSU never proved they could stop the pass. I agree that Franklin should have kicked the XP though. Don't chase points in the 3rd.

Shoulda woulda coulda don't count.

We really should petition the NCAA to award the win to PSU.

If they would have scored more points they than us they would have won. Gophers outplayed, outcoached, and over powered, and most importantly, outscored Penn State enough to win the game.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

If they would have scored more points they than us they would have won. Gophers outplayed, outcoached, and over powered, and most importantly, outscored Penn State enough to win the game.

The Gophers didn't outplay or overpower PSU.
PSU out-gained Minnesota and basically moved the ball at-will all game long.
The only stops Minnesota was able to generate were penalties and turnovers.

Fleck definitely out-coached Franklin in that game though.

Last edited:

I agree on all points, and in the end PSU almost stole it from us, so glad they didn't. Just hope we take points when we can get them in the future!

I haven't heard it discussed at all, but if PSU would have just traditionally taken their points when offered to them they probably remain unbeaten:

Had they kicked the extra point instead of going for two......4 point differential

Had they kicked the field goal on fourth down inside the ten yard line.....1 point differential

Now, they only need a field goal to win at the end of the game instead of a touchdown. -2 point differential

I am so glad it all played out like it did, but it is another reminder in football to take your (somewhat) sure points and let the game play out.

GO GOPHERS!

This is bullsh1t. I'm sorry dude. In retrospect, it's easy to be an armchair coach. But you apparently are forgetting that we played conservatively when we did BECAUSE of the lead we had, which we had in part because PSU decided to go for 2 and for a 1st down instead of kicking the fg. Had they gone for the Extra point and then kicked the fg, the score would have been closer and Fleck may have waited longer before taking his foot off the gas. It's not like his QB was missing his targets or throwing interceptions. In fact, it was a fumble given up by a RB that gave PSU the momentum to make their comeback attempt. Had we continued throwing the ball, that fumble may not have happened? See, I can do the coulda, woulda, shoulda thing, too.

Like someone else pointed out, we were totally outplaying PSU until we switched gears in the 4th quarter, something we probably wouldn't have done had they had 4 more points at that time.

yeah dude, because the rest of the game would have gone exactly the same way despite the circumstances being changed. Give me a break. What would have happened if Tanner would have not over thrown TJ in the endzone? How about if the refs called the delay of game? Hell what if PSU converted that 2pt play? No one knows because that is not what happened, you can't go back in time and change the circumstances and act as if everything else would have played out the same way. There have been a lot of dumb posts this week, but this one might take the cake

Last edited:

This is bullsh1t. I'm sorry dude. In retrospect, it's easy to be an armchair coach. But you apparently are forgetting that we played conservatively when we did BECAUSE of the lead we had, which we had in part because PSU decided to go for 2 and for a 1st down instead of kicking the fg. Had they gone for the Extra point and then kicked the fg, the score would have been closer and Fleck may have waited longer before taking his foot off the gas. It's not like his QB was missing his targets or throwing interceptions. In fact, it was a fumble given up by a RB that gave PSU the momentum to make their comeback attempt. Had we continued throwing the ball, that fumble may not have happened? See, I can do the coulda, woulda, shoulda thing, too.

Like someone else pointed out, we were totally outplaying PSU until we switched gears in the 4th quarter, something we probably wouldn't have done had they had 4 more points at that time.

I'm sorry but did y'all watch the Gophers on defense this week? It wasn't pretty.
Other than the turnovers, they looked bad.

Imagine if Morgan hadn’t overthrown TJ in the end zone, requiring them to settle for a FG. Left 4 points on the field. Would have been 28-10. Imagine if Shannon hadn’t made the bonehead fumble on the 50 yard line.

With all due respect, this is stupid.

Flashing through the 20 or 30 games in my lifetime the Gophers probably should have won. The fact we have 2 or 3 this year like this, means we only have 20 or 25 more to come our way to get karma back in equilibrium.

Enjoy it. This team is different.

Yeah and the Vikings should have beaten the Packers earlier this year too....and the Falcons in 98 and the Saints in 09. I don't know how you can say they should have won. They were behind the whole game. Their last touchdown was after the play clock expired. Through the first three quarters the Gophers dominated the game. If all those things you mentioned had happened, who knows how the game would have played out. Penn State is a very good football team, but to say they should have won is your opinion...and you know what, they didn't win. Every game has a few plays that really decide who wins, and the Gophers made the plays and Penn State didn't. The team that won the game is the team that should have won the game. That was the Gophers. Like PJF said in his press conference, you get one chance to play the game not a best out of 10. Minnesota won that one chance and Penn State did not.

Flashing through the 20 or 30 games in my lifetime the Gophers probably should have won. The fact we have 2 or 3 this year like this, means we only have 20 or 25 more to come our way to get karma back in equilibrium.

Enjoy it. This team is different.

Exactly this. Minnesota completely trashed Georgia Southern, but had a lot of bad luck, and under Kill, would have lost that game, because they wouldn't have been able to throw themselves back into it.
I don't get why people can't separate the score from the game play in college football.
The best team doesn't always win.

I'm sorry but did y'all watch the Gophers on defense this week? It wasn't pretty.
Other than the turnovers, they looked bad.

Good offenses move the ball against good defenses. Did you watch the Alabama-LSU game? We moved the ball at will against them too. These games come down to explosive plays and turnovers. We got the better end of both.

A couple weeks ago, you were trying to convince us how good Maryland is. This fanbase is really something else...

The Gophers didn't outplay or overpower PSU.
PSU out-gained Minnesota and basically moved the ball at-will all game long.
The only stops Minnesota was able to generate were penalties and turnovers.

Fleck definitely out-coached Franklin in that game though.

Through the first three quarters the Gophers has out gained Penn State by over 100 yards. Morgan missed Johnson when he was wide open and Brooks fumbled or we would have been up three touchdown heading into the last 5 minutes of the game. The Gophers made the plays and Penn State did not. It's not a 10 game series, it's one game. The Gophers won the one be game and deserved to win it.

Exactly this. Minnesota completely trashed Georgia Southern, but had a lot of bad luck, and under Kill, would have lost that game, because they wouldn't have been able to throw themselves back into it.
I don't get why people can't separate the score from the game play in college football.
The best team doesn't always win.

The best team that day did win. Not sure why you didn't see that?

The #'s? LOL.

The Gophers won the turnover #'s and the scoreboard. The #'s that mattered overall.

Welp, the #'s didn't see it, and I tend to agree with them so guess I'll just keep raining on your parade.

If the back judge would have thrown the penalty flag on the delay of game the Gophers might have won 31-19. If we are playing whoever has the most yards wins the games why would we even have end zones and goal posts. If you want to invent your own game that whoever gains the most yards is the winner, go for it. But in football, the winner is whoever scores more points.

I'll play the ifs and buts game. If PSU only needs a field goal at the end, the Gophs probably get the ball back with about 1 min left. Do you think Tanner & Company could advance the ball into field goal range in that time?

Yards per play

Minnesota 7.67
Penn State 7.1

Advantage: .57 yards per play for Minnesota.

We averaged an absurd 17 yards per passing play. They averaged 7.1. PSU had the rushing edge, 6.1 to 3.0, thanks to their one long run in the first quarter.

I don’t think a single national pundit has argued that PSU should have won that game. Only on Gopherhole...

Yards per play

Minnesota 7.67
Penn State 7.1

Advantage: .57 yards per play for Minnesota.

We averaged an absurd 17 yards per passing play. They averaged 7.1. PSU had the rushing edge, 6.1 to 3.0, thanks to their one long run in the first quarter.

I don’t think a single national pundit has argued that PSU should have won that game. Only on Gopherhole...

I know. It is such a dumb that it has to be a bit.

Last edited:

Welp, the #'s didn't see it, and I tend to agree with them so guess I'll just keep raining on your parade.

The #s are inflated because Minnesota was trying to run out the clock and Penn State was playing catch up for a good percentage of the game.

The #s are inflated because Minnesota was trying to run out the clock and Penn State was playing catch up for a good percentage of the game.

You're right, we should just ignore the fact that the Gophers weren't able to run the ball for most of the day "because they were winning."
It turns out that how you run the ball in running situations is actually a pretty good predictor of how you run the ball in running situations.
Who would have thought?

Last edited:

Here’s something I noticed a while back.

In our 37-15 win over Wisconsin, we were outgained 359-325.

Wisconsin should have won that! Am I right?

Here’s something I noticed a while back.

In our 37-15 win over Wisconsin, we were outgained 359-325.

Wisconsin should have won that! Am I right?

You can ignore stats all you want, but don't cherry pick the good ones.
SP+ looked at this game and adjusted our ranking down and Penn State's up for a reason.

Top Bottom