PSU Should Have Probably Won That Game

The Gophers deserved to win. This is the kind of BS thinking that we all can slip into- but the best team on Saturday won. It's OK to win games.

I haven't heard it discussed at all, but if PSU would have just traditionally taken their points when offered to them they probably remain unbeaten:

Had they kicked the extra point instead of going for two......4 point differential

Had they kicked the field goal on fourth down inside the ten yard line.....1 point differential

Now, they only need a field goal to win at the end of the game instead of a touchdown. -2 point differential

I am so glad it all played out like it did, but it is another reminder in football to take your (somewhat) sure points and let the game play out.

GO GOPHERS!

Polite response: If if’s and buts we’re candy and nuts..... lord knows we’ve been on the other side of dozens of these. This win was 100% earned and deserved.

I haven't heard it discussed at all, but if PSU would have just traditionally taken their points when offered to them they probably remain unbeaten:

Had they kicked the extra point instead of going for two......4 point differential

Had they kicked the field goal on fourth down inside the ten yard line.....1 point differential

Now, they only need a field goal to win at the end of the game instead of a touchdown. -2 point differential

I am so glad it all played out like it did, but it is another reminder in football to take your (somewhat) sure points and let the game play out.

GO GOPHERS!

Some really great negative thinking there buddy and probably the first to whine and moan if we loose. Good luck to ya...

Yes, I started this thread, not to downplay a great Gophers win, because it was. My point was simply that Franklin panicked a bit and as someone else mentioned, maybe he didn't think his defense could stop us, but I see time and time again coaches going for two with plenty of time and passing on FG;s inside the red zone trying to force a TD.

My only point is that I am glad they tried to chase the points and even happier that on both accounts our defense rose to the occasion.

Hoping the Gophers take every point they can along the way. GO GOPHERS!

Some really great negative thinking there buddy and <b>probably the first to whine and moan if we loose. </b>Good luck to ya...

Good to see you are above that negative thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Shannon Brooks doesn't fumble at midfield, the Gophers absolutely march and score again to make it 31-13 midway through the third quarter — and the game quickly becomes a complete rout, a la the Gophers beat down of Wisconsin at Madison last season. Penn State was reeling and on the ropes.

The Gophers never trailed in the entire game; closest Penn State got was 7-7.

The better team won. Deservedly and clearly.

Last edited:

Welp, the #'s didn't see it, and I tend to agree with them so guess I'll just keep raining on your parade.
You are looking at the wrong numbers, the point totals are the numbers you should give more attention to.

It's like a gun duel. A guy's dead. You can't have a do over. The only thing left is to bury the dead and settle the gambling debts.

GO GOPHERS!

That's why you play the game, and not just give the win to the team with the better recruiting rankings.

Yes, I started this thread, not to downplay a great Gophers win, because it was. My point was simply that Franklin panicked a bit and as someone else mentioned, maybe he didn't think his defense could stop us, but I see time and time again coaches going for two with plenty of time and passing on FG;s inside the red zone trying to force a TD.

My only point is that I am glad they tried to chase the points and even happier that on both accounts our defense rose to the occasion.

Hoping the Gophers take every point they can along the way. GO GOPHERS!

All you can confidently say is that if Franklin had made different decisions regarding “taking the points” it would have changed the complexion of the game, you can’t conclude they would have won. To assume that Franklin could make different decisions in these situations without effecting PJ’s decisions as a result is ridiculous.

Last edited:

GO GOPHERS!

Oh how the turntables...

I mentioned this in the other thread. Our loss to Iowa today was earily similar to Penn State's loss to us last week for multiple reasons.

ditto. Although in Minn's case vs. PSU, I think that game was closer than it should have been because we rolled up and went conservative on O in the second half (ABC announcers even commented such), even though PSU was able at no point in the entire game to stop the Minn passing game. In this Minn vs. Iowa game, it wasn't clear to me that Iowa's offense changed in the second half so much as the Gopher D finally made adjustments. Moreover, I think the advantage in yardage was much higher tilted in Minn's favor over Iowa (significant ratio) than PSU over Minn (small ratio).

Last edited:

Top Bottom