PSU Should Have Probably Won That Game

Their touchdown in the 4th quarter that got them from 19 to 26 points should've been called back and 5 yards penalized, so we could say that was 7 points given to them as well.

PSU COULD have won...which is way different than SHOULD have won.

MN dominated the first half and extended the lead in the 3rd. As someone mentioned, they had outgained PSU by 100 yards at that point. PSU clearly won the 4th quarter. Good job, but too little, too late.

To those who say the turnovers were lucky, come on. MN forced those. Winfield had incredible coverage on the 1st and made an excellent play on the ball. He also made a great read on the second pick and Sori-Marin provided huge pressure to force an underthrow. The last one was sort of desperation time. Even if Howden doesn't pick that, PSU is now in like 4th and 20 and MN likely gets the stop and wins with just the two turnovers.

Face it, PSU is a great team deserving of a top 10 ranking, but MN outplayed them in multiple ways for 60 minutes (and arguably completely dominating at least 35 min). Stop underselling this win. It wasn't lucky, PSU is a great team and didn't "give it away".

If we want to talk about what should have happened, I think we should have not sent 12 guys on the field to stall a drive to expand our lead to start the second half. Then, after getting the ball back at midfield with good field position and another chance to expand the lead, we should not have fumbled and turned our good field position into their good field position. Then, the ref should have called the blatant and obvious delay of game penalty that came on the play where Penn State scored a TD.

But, if the point is that the outcome might have been different if all of the big plays, mistakes, and bad calls that went our way did not happen, but PSU got to keep all of the bad calls and big plays that went their way, I guess I'll concede that.

On the subject of turnovers....even if you want to argue Clifford basically threw it right to our DBs, which isn’t really what happened, the fact is, Morgan did not turn the ball over. We have the better QB. The team with the better QB performance usually wins the big games.

Last edited:

The original move to go for 2 is what started the chain reaction to leaving points on the board. Seemed to early but it took a fabulous play to stop it.

As for that play itself was it Howden that blew that up?

The original move to go for 2 is what started the chain reaction to leaving points on the board. Seemed to early but it took a fabulous play to stop it.

As for that play itself was it Howden that blew that up?

I believe that was Durr.

I believe that was Durr.

I was afraid when they play started, from my seats it looked to me like we were lined up wrong. I saw trips left and only two defenders over there, so I was thinking "oh no, we can only cover two, all they need to do is throw to whichever guy we dont pick up." Heck of a play to stop it.

I only opened this thread to vote it as a "terrible" thread, and comment that I have voted this as a terrible thread. That is all I can say. Sheesh. Not even reading the rest.

Yes, we are overrated right now and I think we're probably going to drop one of Iowa or Wisconsin.
I would love to be wrong, and PJ has been working miracles all year, but I don't think he's going to make it to Indy undefeated.
I have them ATS at Iowa, but I would not be surprised if they lose this game.

I'm not an overly negative Gopher fan. I had the over on win total this year. I had Minnesota ATS vPSU and vNEB, and I think Fleck is on the right trajectory, but nothing I have seen so far tells me that this team is ready to compete with the tOSU's of the world.

You don't have to set yourself up for less of a letdown. Jump both feet in and believe. Our offense should be enough to go 3-0 if we keep playing the way we are. This team has put up 39 pts. per game in B1G play. Wisconsin 25 and Iowa 19. Our fewest points in the last 6 games is 31. Play our game and don't puke ourselves and we should see 12-0.

Hate the title of this thread. Makes it sound like PSU outplayed us and they most certainly did NOT.

Wow

I only opened this thread to vote it as a "terrible" thread, and comment that I have voted this as a terrible thread. That is all I can say. Sheesh. Not even reading the rest.

Agree 100%. This is quite possibly the dumbest thread I have ever seen.

We got some breaks.

Glad we didn't have to play another quarter.

Our QB beat their QB fair and square.

It depends.
I get why people say don’t chase point.
But they trust their defense.

If you are down 5 in the third quarter and you trust your defense to not give up another touchdown...it IS the right call to go for two.

On my top of that they play they called should’ve worked. They had numbers and leverage. The gopher player just outplayed the penn state player. The play they called should’ve worked.

If you’re down 5.
You don’t think you’ll give up another touchdown and a field goal would only put you down 8.
AND
You have a 2 point play you believe will work.

Then it is not a bad decision to go for 2.
It didn’t work.

Statistical analysis says teams should go for 2 every time if they believe they will make it 51% of the time or more.

I think someone's goal is to start a silly thread to see how many responses they can get.

Every close game is full of "should have".

The great teams win those...

We've seen plenty from the other side.

Penn State didn't play a perfect game. Neither did the Gophers. This doesn't in any way detract from the Gophers' win. The game is a combination of what each team did right and what they did wrong. If you're going to handwave away Penn State's mistakes, you have to do the same with the Gophers' mistakes.

Agree 100%. This is quite possibly the dumbest thread I have ever seen.

Yep. Really dumb.The Gophers were just as close to winning comfortably than they were to losing.

I was afraid when they play started, from my seats it looked to me like we were lined up wrong. I saw trips left and only two defenders over there, so I was thinking "oh no, we can only cover two, all they need to do is throw to whichever guy we dont pick up." Heck of a play to stop it.

I noticed it live as well. It was a great play by him.

This thread sounds like the guy spouting RBI's and averages in a baseball conversation and crying people don't understand stats.

The Gophers didn't outplay or overpower PSU.
PSU out-gained Minnesota and basically moved the ball at-will all game long.
The only stops Minnesota was able to generate were penalties and turnovers.

Fleck definitely out-coached Franklin in that game though.

The Gophers absolutely outplayed PSU. They had the lead the entire game and were in control. Much like the Purdue game.....Minnesota simply allowed them back in at the end. Inexcusable.

PSU only outgained the Gophers because we played clock control for the majority of the fourth quarter. They couldn't stop our passing attack. Could have easily put up another 100 yards.

A frequent contributor and well established fan of the team expresses an opinion that isn’t the “right” opinion and this thread is what happens. Just imagine what would take place if we were a sensitive fan base. Embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't heard it discussed at all, but if PSU would have just traditionally taken their points when offered to them they probably remain unbeaten:

Had they kicked the extra point instead of going for two......4 point differential

Had they kicked the field goal on fourth down inside the ten yard line.....1 point differential

Now, they only need a field goal to win at the end of the game instead of a touchdown. -2 point differential

I am so glad it all played out like it did, but it is another reminder in football to take your (somewhat) sure points and let the game play out.

GO GOPHERS!

And Franklin absolutely did the right thing by going for two after their touchdown near the end of the fourth. Making it a four point game meant that they would need another touchdown to take the lead. Missing the two point leaves them in a similar position. They score a touchdown and they have the lead....and another attempt for a two point conversion to take a three point lead.

That was absolutely the right call. Considering Penn State's difficulty getting scoring opportunities, you take your chances to get points when you can. Having a shot to cut the game to a three point lead would have changed the entire game. Cutting it to four would not have.

A frequent contributor and well established fan of the team expresses an opinion that isn’t the “right” opinion and this thread is what happens. Just imagine what would take place if we were a sensitive fan base. Embarrassing.

He expressed an opinion that the vast majority of members disagree with. I agree that a couple responses are over the top, but mostly people are just pointing out why they disagree (i.e., MN slowed down the pace late, the turnovers weren't "luck", MN had outgained PSU by 100 yards through 3 quarters, going for 2 wasn't ridiculous at that point, officials missed the delay penalty, etc.). I know you're big on freedom of expression on this board, so should people who disagree with the OP not post their opinions as well?

He expressed an opinion that the vast majority of members disagree with. I agree that a couple responses are over the top, but mostly people are just pointing out why they disagree (i.e., MN slowed down the pace late, the turnovers weren't "luck", MN had outgained PSU by 100 yards through 3 quarters, going for 2 wasn't ridiculous at that point, officials missed the delay penalty, etc.). I know you're big on freedom of expression on this board, so should people who disagree with the OP not post their opinions as well?

Spoofin doesn't like dissenting opinions. He's sensitive.

I’m all for arguing and debating one’s opinion. I’m referring to those ‘over the top’ posts you mentioned. At least no one has suggested sending Houston to a different board and not allowing him to post here anymore.... yet.

In any close game, you can go through the play-by-play chart and pick out a dozen or more plays that could have changed the game if there had been a different outcome.

But, in the end, what happened is what happened. if the same two teams played this week, the outcome might be different. that's football.

FWIW, this thread reminds me of the former Football coach at my High School. We were not very good. After every game - usually a fairly lop-sided loss - the coach would always make the same speech.

"We were right in that game. if you take away those 2 or 3 big plays from the other team, we had a chance to win."

And I would sit there (ps - was not a player - was the team manager and stat guy) thinking - yeah, if you take away 2 or 3 TD's from the other team, it would have been a closer game.

The Gophers absolutely outplayed PSU. They had the lead the entire game and were in control. Much like the Purdue game.....Minnesota simply allowed them back in at the end. Inexcusable.

PSU only outgained the Gophers because we played clock control for the majority of the fourth quarter. They couldn't stop our passing attack. Could have easily put up another 100 yards.

Mn was forced to be conservative on few downs due to negative plays, including a sack. While I agree we went conservative, some of that was dictated by situation of down/distance

I’m all for arguing and debating one’s opinion. I’m referring to those ‘over the top’ posts you mentioned. At least no one has suggested sending Houston to a different board and not allowing him to post here anymore.... yet.

I don't have an issue with Houston's take as much as Hello World's.

Top Bottom