Let’s Starting Talking Iowa

gopherlaney

Reaction score
Sure hope the team and staff isn’t as preoccupied as GH still with PSU. Also noticed PJ did not reference Iowa Sunday interview which is abnormal.

Any insight into Iowa, haven’t paid much attention to them this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure hope the team and staff isn’t as preoccupied as GH still with PSU. Also noticed PJ did not reference Iowa Sunday interview which is abnormal.

Any insight into Iowa, haven’t paid much attention to them this year?

I really haven't seen them play, so I am basing this off of the little I've read about their team. The defense is great and is the strength of their team. The offense isn't a usual Iowa offense. Not very explosive. With that said, Wisconsin ran for big yards. Not sure if we will be able to run as well as Wisconsin did against them, but I do think that we will have some success running the ball and passing as well.

Does Iowa have TEs anything like PSU had?

Big thing is single contact tackling. Get off the field in three. Control the ball. Row The Boat!

Does Iowa have TEs anything like PSU had?

Big thing is single contact tackling. Get off the field in three. Control the ball. Row The Boat!

Not this year, they lost Fant and Hockenson to the NFL, and no one has stepped up in their place yet.

They can be dangerous passing but struggle in Red Zone having kicked most FG’s in B1G.

Based on the way that Becky rushed the ball against them, I think we go heavy with the run game initially. I think if you pull out the same game plan you took to Madison last season, you could have similar success.

The weather for Saturday in Iowa City is looking very similar to last Saturday. Shouldn't be a factor or limit running or passing game.

The weather for Saturday in Iowa City is looking very similar to last Saturday. Shouldn't be a factor or limit running or passing game.

10-15 MPH winds is much better than you often get their this time of year, lets hope that holds.

Play strictly zone pass defense and aim to stop the run. Stout so far this season. Their offense is not a big play type but can control the ball. cannot score more than 20 points. I do not think they match up well against us. They have won by frustrating people and slowing the game down. They have lost to big play people and a up tempo offense.

Play strictly zone pass defense and aim to stop the run. Stout so far this season. Their offense is not a big play type but can control the ball. cannot score more than 20 points. I do not think they match up well against us. They have won by frustrating people and slowing the game down. They have lost to big play people and a up tempo offense.

If we handle playing on the road and take care of the ball we will be in good shape against them. Their offense is very average so if we get up early they will have a really hard time coming back.

Their defense is good but they can be run on. Both teams want to control the clock so the potential is there for a lower scoring game. They end up settling for a lot of field goals. We bring our A game and we win, probably fairly comfortably. Anything less and we will be in for a dog fight.

Back to nervous! Saturday can’t come fast enough

Their offense ranges from very bad to average. Defense controls the game for them. Will be a battle in the trenches as I think they want to control the clock and limit our offensive possessions.

Iowa @ Kinnick is good. Scary place to play. I’m curious to see how the gophers choose to attack them Morgan needs to be good and running game more efficient than against PSU

I'm worried about this game and keep projecting past nightmares to the present (even though this season has disproved the past). The last time I traveled to Kinnick was the talented 2003 team that ended up with 10 wins. The Gophs were a game ahead of Iowa and might have even been favored to win.

Those in our group got pretty hammered before the game tailgating close to the river. The tailgating scene was robust. It was my first experience with Rocky Mountain Oysters...that were promptly barfed up. That's where the fun ended.

Getting into that crappy stadium was a nightmare. By the time we got to our seats, I think the Gophers had already fumbled once or twice. The Gophs had a nice drive relatively early on and literally fumbled into the endzone to screw it up. Iowa kept on converting third down. The Gophs kept on fumbling. It turned into a 40-22 rout - most of the Gophs points were in garbage time. I hate that place.

Short story made long, I hope the Gophers bring their A-game this weekend and don't sleep on the Hawkeyes. It will be tough.

Last edited:

Top Bottom