[TICKETS REMAINING TRACKING THREAD] -- Minnesota vs. Wisconsin

I always laugh when people talk possible stadium expansion and they assume that means closing the open end of the stadium. That's one of the best features of the stadium!

I would only expand in 10k increments if/when we have about 20k committed people on a season ticket waiting list.

Would like to see 8-10k students and season tickets into the high 30k, with 9x% redemption, consistently, before considering expansion. And yes, keep the open end open.

I think if given a choice, I'd rather have it be 50-55k and a waiting list, than closing the open end to make it an 80k bowl with only 60-65k sold for most games.

People have rapidly forgotten that there hadn't been a sellout of our 51,000 seat stadium since 2015. Even nationwide, getting people in stadium seats is tougher than ever. I think the "TCF Bank Stadium is expandable!" ship has sailed long ago, regardless how the team does now and even in the future. In fact, I think TCF Bank Stadium is the perfect size for the changing landscape of spectator sports. I actually wonder how places like Texas A&M, Nebraska, etc. will feel about their expansions in the years to come more than I think of the possibilities of our stadium being expanded. I think you will see more college stadiums redesigned to remove seats than expand seating. I love TCF Bank Stadium and I think in the future it may be viewed as a very smart design that is sized perfectly.

It doesn't have to be bigger to draw recruits either. Look at Oregon's stadium. It is small too.

If they do expand, I would make it 70,000 tops - or maybe 65,000.

Yes, that is less than some of the big stadiums like Penn State or Michigan, but it would still be enough to make for a good game-day atmosphere - if most of the seats are sold.

The flip side is this - if the team takes a down-turn at some future date, then you could be looking at a lot of empty seats if attendance falls back to traditional Gopher levels.

another consideration - more fans means more people using bathrooms, concession stands, etc. Also more demand for parking or mass transit on game days.

I agree with those who think the whole topic is totally premature. When we could sell more season tickets than we have seats in the stadium we will want to think expansion, not before. Who did not get into any game they really wanted to get into this season? No one. Remember too that one of the reasons we did not build bigger was that we did not want certain single games to be dominated by enemy fans.

If they do expand, I would make it 70,000 tops - or maybe 65,000.

Yes, that is less than some of the big stadiums like Penn State or Michigan, but it would still be enough to make for a good game-day atmosphere - if most of the seats are sold.

The flip side is this - if the team takes a down-turn at some future date, then you could be looking at a lot of empty seats if attendance falls back to traditional Gopher levels.

another consideration - more fans means more people using bathrooms, concession stands, etc. Also more demand for parking or mass transit on game days.

Aside from something in the open end like when the Vikings played there, TCF Bank Stadium will never, ever, ever, ever expand.

When it takes a game between two 8-0 teams to sell out the stadium for the first time in 4 years, I doubt expansion will even be considered. Especially in light of declining attendance nationwide. Even Notre Dame is expecting less-than-capacity crowds for its last two home games.

Before we get too far down this expansion path, want to bring to people's attention to a link from a different GH thread - Notre Dame sellout streak ends.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...re-dame-sellout-streak-expected-end-273-games

"That this comes during a time of sustained success for our football program reflects both challenges impacting the ticket market nationwide and the unique dynamics of this year's schedule."

Not directly related, but I received a text from my long ago college roommate today announcing that he and his wife have purchased season tickets for next year after not doing that for the last 15 years. He's on the bandwagon! Go Gophers!

TickPick has 243 tickets left with the cheapest being 286$

I agree with those who think the whole topic is totally premature. When we could sell more season tickets than we have seats in the stadium we will want to think expansion, not before. Who did not get into any game they really wanted to get into this season? No one. Remember too that one of the reasons we did not build bigger was that we did not want certain single games to be dominated by enemy fans.

I know casual fans that would have liked to go to the Penn State game but couldn't justify paying $75. Let alone the $235 +fees on stubhub right now for next weekend.

That being said, I agree completely with your bigger point. Talk of expansion is way, way too premature.

714 left on Stubhub, down 200+ tickets today alone. Cheapest set of four is currently $327 including fees -- insane!!

Whoa. The cheapest ticket in my section on Stubhub was in the $150s a few days ago and now it's $289.

Once selling out nonconference games becomes a regular occurrence, then expansion can be a real discussion. Selling out big games is great, but does not mean we need more seats.

Once selling out nonconference games becomes a regular occurrence, then expansion can be a real discussion. Selling out big games is great, but does not mean we need more seats.
Hopefully all these games will be sellouts and get an expansion. Be easier to pay fleck elite money With more football revenue

Top Bottom