Where is Maroon on Actual Gophers?

OldBob53

Reaction score
What is the coloration of actual mammalian gophers? Any Maroon? Chipmunks have maroon stripes on their goldish bodies, but we're not the Minnesota Chipmunks.

Were our founders confused about gophers as opposed to chipmunks?

What is the coloration of actual mammalian gophers? Any Maroon? Chipmunks have maroon stripes on their goldish bodies, but we're not the Minnesota Chipmunks.

I saw an albino squirrel along River Rd driving home from the game on Saturday. That hasn't happened since 1904.

There some maroon around the anus of a Gopher!

hey Bob, have you ever tried Fentanyl? It's great, you should give it a shot.

First of all while we may be called the gophers our mascot is actually a ground squirrel or otherwise called a thirteen striped squirrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all while we may be called the gophers our mascot is actually a ground squirrel or otherwise called a thirteen striped squirrel.

The undefeated Minnesota Golden Thirteen-Striped Squirrels!

If you read his stuff, it's pretty clear that "Old" Bob is really some dumbass kid.

Mods.... Time to ban Old Bob..

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Bend over Bob, we’ll show you.

Really? Golden Gophers.

If you read his stuff, it's pretty clear that "Old" Bob is really some dumbass kid.

A basement bedroom with a hot plate and poop bucket in Madison is a sad place.

Last edited:

As others have pointed out, the badger is not red and the wolverine is not blue. I'd say that the maroon and gold is a whole lot closer to the colors of the Gopher. The tan of a gophers is similar to gold - we call a wheat field golden, and it's closer to the color of a Gopher. Now, the maroon, that's closer to the dark stripes of the 13-Lined Ground Squirrel.

The name "The Gopher State" came from a political cartoon from 1858, which satirized a $5 million loan for a railroad that went under in 1860. The cartoon had the train being pulled by Gophers. The cartoonist didn't know what a gopher actually looked like, so he drew a 13-Lined Ground Squirrel. So, the Minnesota Golden Gopher is a 13-Lined Ground Squirrel. Still Goldy Gopher. It's history.

cartoonhires.jpg

Goldy Gopher is exactly what we say he is. I mean, he Horned Frog is actually a lizard, not a frog. Pierre, SD is pronounced "peer". Cairo, IL is pronounced "Cay-ro."

As others have pointed out, the badger is not red and the wolverine is not blue. I'd say that the maroon and gold is a whole lot closer to the colors of the Gopher. The tan of a gophers is similar to gold - we call a wheat field golden, and it's closer to the color of a Gopher. Now, the maroon, that's closer to the dark stripes of the 13-Lined Ground Squirrel.

The name "The Gopher State" came from a political cartoon from 1858, which satirized a $5 million loan for a railroad that went under in 1860. The cartoon had the train being pulled by Gophers. The cartoonist didn't know what a gopher actually looked like, so he drew a 13-Lined Ground Squirrel. So, the Minnesota Golden Gopher is a 13-Lined Ground Squirrel. Still Goldy Gopher. It's history.

View attachment 6508

Goldy Gopher is exactly what we say he is. I mean, he Horned Frog is actually a lizard, not a frog. Pierre, SD is pronounced "peer". Cairo, IL is pronounced "Cay-ro."

Des Moines and Des Plaines.

I've always liked how the U's colors are reflected in the state's autumn. Driving through Minnesota on a sunny fall day when the foliage is right, one can see a lot of maroon and gold.

Where is the maroon on a Gopher?

The same place there is red on a badger.
Maize & blue on a wolverine
Any of the colors that colleges have for a wildcat.
Purple on a tiger (LSU, at least Clemson & Princeton have orange as a color).
etc...

I've always liked how the U's colors are reflected in the state's autumn. Driving through Minnesota on a sunny fall day when the foliage is right, one can see a lot of maroon and gold.

poster05.jpg

Top Bottom