This season doesn't happen if...

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
This season doesn’t happen if:

(1) Tyler Johnson doesn’t decide to return for his senior year. A major part of the offense’s success depends upon Bateman lining up opposite Johnson. Can’t double both of them.

(2) Smith and Brooks didn’t have their season prematurely ended last year, resulting in medical redshirts for each. It was a major blow last year, but the reality is that this outcome prevented them from “wasting” their senior years on teams constituted of so many freshmen. Now we’ve got experienced solid RBs on a team that is just seasoned enough to succeed.

(3) South Dakota State didn’t expose the inexperience of our young line in handling stunts, loops and slants. It took the Gophers about 3 weeks to work that out with Faalele and Dunlap. Fortunately, the Gophers were engaged in the non-conference portion of their schedule and facing teams talented enough to expose the weakness but not quite talented enough to exploit it all the way to a victory. If that weakness did not become exposed until Big Ten play, the result would have been three straight losses while the issue was being sorted out.

Lots of little contributions from the Hands of Fate, fellow Gopherholers! This was meant to be.

So many one off plays that made this season....

At the same time we've hardly been mistake free... but we've made plays after that to get the win.

We are taking advantage of our schedule.....finally. It was set up perfect. The Gophers had a few things that needed to get ironed out and they have been. The Gophers have improved week after week. It was absolutely noticeable every progressive week starting the first week of Big Ten play. Each successive week it looked like the team was getting sharper and more dominant. Perfect situation to be playing their best football come November.

And....while somewhat morbid.....let's say that ZA doesn't get injured prior to the season? I mean...if he wins the QB competition...that must mean something...but I cannot imagine him playing better than TM. Maybe practice shows something else....but at gametime….Morgan is absolutely keyed in. Dude is downright unbelievable.

...if PJ Fleck doesn't answer a 2 AM phone call to keep Kirk Ciarrocca from leaving for West Virginia

The whole NC schedule did what it was supposed to do. Three late victories under sometimes dire circumstances. The tying drive against FSU and the winning drive against GSU were both refreshing and experiential.

Taught the boys...and me...anything is possible.

Antoine Winfield Sr doesn't buy-in to what PJ was saying

1) Fleck wasn’t born
2) Kill didn’t leave
3) TC gets fired
4) ZA was announced as starter over TM
5) We lose any of the previous 8 games

Edit...Limegrover is still the OC

1) Fleck wasn’t born
2) Kill didn’t leave
3) TC gets fired
4) ZA was announced as starter over TM
5) We lose any of the previous 8 games

Edit...Limegrover is still the OC

You forgot if MegaTongue had ... um ... kept his attribute to himself.

Carter Coughlin does not commit to the Gophers, takes the Oregon or Ohio State offer so he does not recruit the Empire Class which I think included AW Jr. among many other senior starters.

What if Alex Trlica missed a 52 yd. field goal in 2006?

Hmm? Hmm?

This season doesn’t happen if:

(1) Tyler Johnson doesn’t decide to return for his senior year. A major part of the offense’s success depends upon Bateman lining up opposite Johnson. Can’t double both of them.

(2) Smith and Brooks didn’t have their season prematurely ended last year, resulting in medical redshirts for each. It was a major blow last year, but the reality is that this outcome prevented them from “wasting” their senior years on teams constituted of so many freshmen. Now we’ve got experienced solid RBs on a team that is just seasoned enough to succeed.

(3) South Dakota State didn’t expose the inexperience of our young line in handling stunts, loops and slants. It took the Gophers about 3 weeks to work that out with Faalele and Dunlap. Fortunately, the Gophers were engaged in the non-conference portion of their schedule and facing teams talented enough to expose the weakness but not quite talented enough to exploit it all the way to a victory. If that weakness did not become exposed until Big Ten play, the result would have been three straight losses while the issue was being sorted out.

Lots of little contributions from the Hands of Fate, fellow Gopherholers! This was meant to be.
TJ6 needs to send Mark Coyle a sizeable portion of his first NFL check. No way we see the same output under the previous regime who couldn't recruit or develop a competent QB to save their lives. Getting Fleck and Matt Simon in there has done wonders for his future pro prospects

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

And....while somewhat morbid.....let's say that ZA doesn't get injured prior to the season? I mean...if he wins the QB competition...that must mean something...but I cannot imagine him playing better than TM. Maybe practice shows something else....but at gametime….Morgan is absolutely keyed in. Dude is downright unbelievable.

Tough to say how it all would have played out if ZA hadn't gotten hurt but the key thing that happened was it became Morgan's team when he did. Tanner was able to settle in as the clear #1 guy without any real threat to lose the job. Honestly, that above all else is probably the biggest key to this season. Morgan has seized the opportunity in a way few of us saw coming.

He looked solid last year down the stretch but he is playing at a ridiculously high level this season and now looks poised to easily go down as one of if not the greatest QBs in Gopher football history if he stays healthy over the next few years.

TJ6 needs to send Mark Coyle a sizeable portion of his first NFL check. No way we see the same output under the previous regime who couldn't recruit or develop a competent QB to save their lives. Getting Fleck and Matt Simon in there has done wonders for his future pro prospects

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I can appreciate the sentiment, but I think TJ6 has already done more than his share to secure Coyle’s future paychecks. He has no obligation to share his hard earned NFL money with anyone.

I can appreciate the sentiment, but I think TJ6 has already done more than his share to secure Coyle’s future paychecks. He has no obligation to share his hard earned NFL money with anyone.

Agree, but if he is going to share it with anyone it should be Coach Simon. I honestly don't think TJ develops into the receiver he has become under the old staff. They just didn't understand the WR position and didn't have good position coaches to work with that group. Kill's staff did a lot of great things here but recruiting/developing WRs and running a competent passing game were things they really struggled at.

The overhaul of the WR position and passing game under Fleck has been nothing short of amazing. All of this has allowed TJ to really develop into a great receiver and now that he has gotten the drops under control he should be a relatively high draft pick for somebody in the draft.

Top Bottom