Gophers Reality Check

Hey, wait, what?

LOWER your expectations to the ROSE BOWL?

We're through the looking-glass now!

Any given Saturday, some one can beat some one!

If we go lights out! We can beat anyone including the New England Patriots!

The Patriots, ha ha. I don't come here for unpleasantness, but for camaraderie with fellow Gopher fans. So no offense at your light-hearted remark (I think). I just don't like Tulip Bulb frenzies or Lemmings marching to the cliff or yon sea, so I speak up.

I bleed maroon and gold too, but see people here going Nuts about the Gophs in the CFP and I suppose beating Alabama, Clemson, and/or LSU.... and Ohio State to get there. That's crazy talk, people.

Bask in the warm sunshine of 9-0-- but Penn State is not Ohio State, Alabama or Clemson. And the Gophers wouldn't have won if not for three interceptions. Penn State gained more total yards.

My advice: lower your expectations, and hope for a Rose Bowl invite. Let Ohio State take on college football's elite. They seem up to the task.

We also wouldn't have won if Rashad Bateman took the basketball scholarship he was offered by Penn State.

The interceptions aren't a fluke. Antoine Winfield Jr is one of the best safeties in the country so he is naturally going to make plays that haven't been made before.

Rose Bowl is my highest goal, too. It would still be freaking amazing.

OSU is like an NFL team

It is unbelievable to me just how many Debbie Downers we have in our fanbase. Look, I get it, I went to undergrad during the TIM BREWSTER years. But using previous years and previous coaches as a comparison does not make sense. This team is legitimate, both through resume and through the "eye test". Let's not shortchange what they are capable of.

Um, you can keep telling yourself that if it helps you cope, but personally I'm dreaming about the moon right now! How do you know MN can't compete with the teams above? As another poster said, ANYTHING can happen on any day.

Miracle on Ice
Buster Douglas v. Tyson
App St v. Michigan

Dude, the way you talk we shouldn't even play the games -- just let Vegas set the odds and determine the final score. Again, you're entitled to think that way (and it's a VERY Minnesotan way of thinking), but don't come raining on my parade.

Add App St vs South Carolina 2019 since it improves Minnesota's perception over Georgia ;)

I like to think of myself as a realist, and I thought the Gophers would drop the Penn State game and go on to a nice NYD bowl game. Now that they won, it's completely realistic and exciting to acknowledge the possibility of finishing the season undefeated. This is a special season and it's okay to embrace the CFP dream! It's not unattainable!

I bleed maroon and gold too, but see people here going Nuts about the Gophs in the CFP and I suppose beating Alabama, Clemson, and/or LSU.... and Ohio State to get there. That's crazy talk, people.

Bask in the warm sunshine of 9-0-- but Penn State is not Ohio State, Alabama or Clemson. And the Gophers wouldn't have won if not for three interceptions. Penn State gained more total yards.

My advice: lower your expectations, and hope for a Rose Bowl invite. Let Ohio State take on college football's elite. They seem up to the task.

Sounds like you're afraid to be a legend Bob.

I was at the game on Saturday and was, ironically, watching the yardage totals throughout the game. Up until the end, when we went into a 'prevent' offense and they were desperate, we were well ahead in the yardage totals. Minnesota BEAT Penn State, regardless of what the yardage totals might say. We were the better team from the beginning to the end! While I think the CFP is a longshot, I CHOOSE to dream! If Saturday's team shows up each week for the next four weeks....why not US?

Iowa was #18 in the last CFP ranking and is currently still in the top 25 after their loss to Wisconsin. Wisconsin, was #13 in the CFP ranking and just beat a ranked Iowa team. If we win at Iowa and beat Wisconsin (a team that will likely be in the top 10 by that time) and don't get embarrassed "Wisconsin'd" in the championship. Who will have a better resume than us????Clemson, LSU, and Ohio St. That's it.

Iowa was #18 in the last CFP ranking and is currently still in the top 25 after their loss to Wisconsin. Wisconsin, was #13 in the CFP ranking and just beat a ranked Iowa team. If we win at Iowa and beat Wisconsin (a team that will likely be in the top 10 by that time) and don't get embarrassed "Wisconsin'd" in the championship. Who will have a better resume than us????Clemson, LSU, and Ohio St. That's it.

Clemson?
What makes you say that? Objective data only...

Ok, Boomer.

Both realistically and emotionally I am very much at the "one game at a time and let the chips fall where they may" point. Let's go beat Iowa!

Just gotta keep winning. I would be thrilled with a Rose Bowl. Certainly not expecting CFP right now. But the fact that it can be a realistic expectation for some folks is awesome.

A win against OSU will be incredibly difficult. But not impossible. They would have to play twice as good as they did against PSU.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nasty. Realism is not trolling, child.

"Old" Bob sounds more like a really young troll to me. Like, teen years.

No school today, "Old" Bob?

Or are you conducting an experiment in online trolling for some class you're taking?

"Old" Bob (or whatever your name is, probably "Tyler" or "Hunter"): please finish your homework, and then help your Dad with chores.

concern troll (plural concern trolls)

(Internet slang) Someone who posts to an internet forum or newsgroup, claiming to share its goals while deliberately working against those goals, typically, by claiming "concern" about group plans to engage in productive activity, urging members instead to attempt some activity that would damage the group's credibility, or alternatively to give up on group projects entirely.

Wow. You really don't get it.

A quick scan of other posts leads me to believe the OP is some strange Ohio State troll. Perhaps I am wrong but either way my ignore list has a fresh addition. A request: if you want to engage with trolling please don’t quote the troll. The ignore list doesn’t cover that.

I’d rather play in the XFL than the NFL. I’d rather play in the developmental league than the NBA. I’d rather play triple AAA than play in the show. I’d rather go to the rose bowl than go to the CFP :rolleyes:

Top Bottom