Gophers Reality Check

OldBob53

Reaction score
I bleed maroon and gold too, but see people here going Nuts about the Gophs in the CFP and I suppose beating Alabama, Clemson, and/or LSU.... and Ohio State to get there. That's crazy talk, people.

Bask in the warm sunshine of 9-0-- but Penn State is not Ohio State, Alabama or Clemson. And the Gophers wouldn't have won if not for three interceptions. Penn State gained more total yards.

My advice: lower your expectations, and hope for a Rose Bowl invite. Let Ohio State take on college football's elite. They seem up to the task.

I bleed maroon and gold too, but see people here going Nuts about the Gophs in the CFP and I suppose beating Alabama, Clemson, and/or LSU.... and Ohio State to get there. That's crazy talk, people.

Bask in the warm sunshine of 9-0-- but Penn State is not Ohio State, Alabama or Clemson. And the Gophers wouldn't have won if not for three interceptions. Penn State gained more total yards.

My advice: lower your expectations, let Ohio State take on college football's elite. They seem up to the task.

So we wouldn't have won if we hadn't played defense?

My advice: lower your expectations, and hope for a Rose Bowl invite. Let Ohio State take on college football's elite. They seem up to the task.

No thank you.

I'm usually a realist but I'm riding this wave...no reason we can't beat Iowa or Wisconsin if we play like we did Saturday putting us at 12-0...anything can happen in 1 game against Ohio St.

OK BOOMER

You could have said that early in the season... and you'd be dead wrong.

Debbie-Downer.jpg

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/18nsvx/john-oliver-s-new-york-stand-up-show-joy-whac-a-mole

Would have probably rolled them if we didnt fumble either! Woulda, coulda, shoulda! Could have lost if a million other things happened too. Yes, you are probably right we arent as good as those elite teams. What are we to do? People ripped us for our schedule and we go beat the #4 team in the nation, now we need to apologize again, because were not as good as those elite teams? When can i get excited about this team? Never?

Um, you can keep telling yourself that if it helps you cope, but personally I'm dreaming about the moon right now! How do you know MN can't compete with the teams above? As another poster said, ANYTHING can happen on any day.

Miracle on Ice
Buster Douglas v. Tyson
App St v. Michigan

Dude, the way you talk we shouldn't even play the games -- just let Vegas set the odds and determine the final score. Again, you're entitled to think that way (and it's a VERY Minnesotan way of thinking), but don't come raining on my parade.

Your comment seems on brand for someone with the username "OldBob" How about we just keep hoping this teams changes their best each week and see what happens?

If we make it to Indy, do you advise we cheer for the Gophers against Ohio State?

Of all the P5 teams with 0 or 1 loss there have been:
36 victories against teams above .500
13 victories against other ranked teams

Here is how those victories rank:
LSU over #4 Alabama
Minnesota over #9 Penn State
LSU over #11 Florida
Georgia over #11 Florida
Penn State over #14 Michigan
Ohio State over #15 Wisconsin
Georgia over #16 Notre Dame
Ohio State over #17 Cincinnati
LSU over #22 Texas
OU over #22 Texas
Penn State over #23 Iowa
Ohio State over #24 Indiana
Baylor over #25 Okie State

Number of victories over teams above .500:
LSU - 6
Ohio State - 5
Oregon - 4
Utah - 4
Minnesota - 3
Baylor - 3
Penn State - 3
Georgia - 3
Oklahoma - 2
Alabama - 2
Clemson - 1

Our resume is just as good as any team on this list except for LSU and Ohio State.

Someone put this putz out of his misery.

Some dude joins this forum three weeks ago to troll. Nice.

I’m a fan and I’ll go nuts whenever I want to, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take your advice and shove it where the sun don't shine. I am focused on Iowa, and only Iowa. You can fear failure all you like. But we are moving on without you Bob.

Not sure why this would be considered a troll. Are Gopher fans really supposed to be upset with a Rose Bowl bid as he suggested? Is that really where we're at now?

You know, I remember when the Vikings were going absolutely, positively going to win a Super Bowl.

I remember when there was no way the Twins would ever be in a World Series, let alone repeat.

Still waiting on the Vikings, but they'll get my Homer Hankie when they pry it from my cold, dead hand.

Old timer, it's time to strap on your velcro shoes and ROW THE BOAT. Dream big. Don't be afraid to be a legendary fan!

"Penn State gained more yards" is one of those ****ty things fans say to act like that matters.

This past weekend there was 8 games involving top 25 teams that ended being within 1 score.

The winning team out-gained their opponents in 5 out of 8 games. So getting out-gained is not a death sentence, especially when its close.

Would have probably rolled them if we didnt fumble either! Woulda, coulda, shoulda! Could have lost if a million other things happened too. Yes, you are probably right we arent as good as those elite teams. What are we to do? People ripped us for our schedule and we go beat the #4 team in the nation, now we need to apologize again, because were not as good as those elite teams? When can i get excited about this team? Never?

I'm excited about the Gophers, but also reserve the right to be realistic. It's already been a great year, beyond what most envisioned start of season, but I don't think we're ready for OSU, LSU, Alabama or Clemson. And getting crushed by one of those teams would Not raise our recruiting to a yet higher level. A Rose Bowl bid and win or close loss would be better for the program going forward.

"Penn State gained more yards" is one of those ****ty things fans say to act like that matters.

This past weekend there was 8 games involving top 25 teams that ended being within 1 score.

The winning team out-gained their opponents in 5 out of 8 games. So getting out-gained is not a death sentence, especially when its close.

Getting out-gained when you have an early lead isn't the worst thing when you are playing Tressel-ball.
Fleck plays to shorten the games. We've seen that consistently. Unless if the other team is fine with us running it down their throat, our yardage for 2nd halves will probably be less than first half.

Last edited:

Gophers don't have to beat Alabama, Clemson, and/or LSU to get to the CFP. Just Ohio St. And maybe not even them.

I'm excited about the Gophers, but also reserve the right to be realistic. It's already been a great year, beyond what most envisioned start of season, but I don't think we're ready for OSU, LSU, Alabama or Clemson. And getting crushed by one of those teams would Not raise our recruiting to a yet higher level. A Rose Bowl bid and win or close loss would be better for the program going forward.

What makes you think Clemson or LSU are better than us?
Did you think the same thing about PSU?

Why or why not?

What makes you think Clemson or LSU are better than us?
Did you think the same thing about PSU?

Why or why not?
Last time I thought Alabama was going to throttle us we did that to them in a bowl game.

Reality check is that the Gophers are 9-0. Maybe that will continue, maybe it won't. Pessimists are always disappointed.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I know we would not have won if we has less points too. So what you are saying it is not a real win because we did not straight up dominate them in every way? I 100% agree that the Rose Bowl is more important than the CFP. There is a chance though that OSU could lose to Michigan or PSU and we would have to beat PSU again or Michigan to go. That of course if we can beat Wisconsin should we get beat at Iowa.

Any given Saturday, some one can beat some one!

If we go lights out! We can beat anyone including the New England Patriots!

Top Bottom