AP Top 25

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

Minnesota gets 13 pts, so it’s not like they are totally forgotten.
I thought Northwestern was somewhat slighted.

Sorry to see ND leave the poll.

In the Week-3 AP Top 25 Women's Basketball Rankings (right after our Arizona State win), both Arizona State (formerly 19) and Notre Dame (formerly 15) dropped off the rankings, but they still got 46 and 62 votes, respectively.

Minnesota unfortunately did not simply get promoted to Arizona State's former spot just by beating them. As noted, Minnesota got 13 votes ( I think 7 more than last week). Missouri State got 24 votes. Rutgers got a couple and Northwestern got 1 vote.

Big-Ten teams making the Top-25 list were Maryland (9), Michigan State (15), Indiana (18), and Michigan (21).

Technically it’s pts, not votes.
The Gophers got 13 pts, so that could mean they’re the 25th team on 13 ballots, or the 13th in one ballot, or most likely some combination in between. There’s a link out there somewhere that shows how everyone voted.

When you say “votes” it makes it seem like 13 people voted for the Gophers. Not necessarily or even likely.

Technically it’s pts, not votes.
The Gophers got 13 pts, so that could mean they’re the 25th team on 13 ballots, or the 13th in one ballot, or most likely some combination in between. There’s a link out there somewhere that shows how everyone voted.

When you say “votes” it makes it seem like 13 people voted for the Gophers. Not necessarily or even likely.
Oh, thanks for the clarification. I didn't know how that works or how many AP writers get to vote (or, I should say, contribute points).

Not much movement in this week’s poll.

UConn holds a very slim lead over Oregon.
Louisville swaps places with Baylor.
Miami drops out. South Dakota replaces them.

Minnesota jumps up to 20 pts. That puts them at the equivalent of #28 in the country.

UConn #1
Oregon #2

Miami rejoins at #24
Texas joins in at #25

Michigan St and South Dakota drop out.

Texas edges out Minnesota for a place in the Top 25 by one point.

I have a feeling Minnesota will be back in Top 25 if they beat Penn St. How long they stay there is anybody’s guess.

UConn #1
Oregon #2

Miami rejoins at #24
Texas joins in at #25

Michigan St and South Dakota drop out.

Texas edges out Minnesota for a place in the Top 25 by one point.

I have a feeling Minnesota will be back in Top 25 if they beat Penn St. How long they stay there is anybody’s guess.
As far as the AP rankings go, better to be 26th and rising than 12th and falling.

Maryland rose a spot. How does it compare to being #23 and falling off?
Not sure. Maryland is going to be good in the Big Ten in any event, and will rank fairly high on the AP Top 25 (barring some kind of disaster in their Big-Ten season).

To clarify, I was comparing the Gophers' last-year's Tango with the AP and Coaches polls versus how we might potentially eventually rank this year in the AP/Coaches polls. Last year these polls were initially fooled by our strong start against weak non-conf opponents, so we zoomed to the top half of these polls. Only to eventually fall so far from grace (during Big-Ten play) that we didn't get an invite to the Big Dance (aided and abetted by the horrible SoS that was willed to us by Marlene). I'd rather have the media/coaches have an initially more conservative outlook toward Minnesota, and then (hopefully) have the impression of the media/coaches gradually improve over the season due to (hopefully) good Big-Ten play. We'll see if that pans out, I guess.

Last edited:

Not much action in this week’s poll other than at the bottom.

Miami moves up one in the poll to #23.
Minnesota is back on the poll at #24.
Michigan drops out of the Top 25.

The biggest movers are
FSU down 3 to #11
MD down 5 to #17
SDAK up 4 to #22

Miami, Minnesota, and Texas all drop off Top 25

Michigan reappears at #24
Princeton shows up at #25

Minnesota drops to 2 pts.

1. SC
2. BAY
3. STAN
4. UCONN
5. LOU

ASU takes a giant leap to #18
Iowa take a mini-leap to #22

Michigan and Princeton drop off the Top 25

No points for Minnesota.

UConn moves up 1
ORE up 2
STAN drops 3

Biggest dropper was WVU. They are down 8 clinging to the #25 spot.

Missouri St dropped off.
NW joins in at #22.

Not a lot of movement in today’s poll.

AZ up 4 to #12
MD up 4 to #13

DEP down 3 to #14
FSU down 3 to #17

Nobody fell off and no new entries.

STAN +4 to #4
LOU +4 to #5
MD +3 to #7
NCSU -6 to #10