College Football Power Rankings: Minnesota rockets up to No. 4

Is this for real? I saw Gopher ranked #7 in AP and Coaches Poll. At either #4 or #7, were into a vaporous altitude. Ahead of Oklahoma, for example. Frankly my dear, I'd prefer a lower ranking.

Is this for real? I saw Gopher ranked #7 in AP and Coaches Poll. At either #4 or #7, were into a vaporous altitude. Ahead of Oklahoma, for example. Frankly my dear, I'd prefer a lower ranking.

Who thinks like this? The goal is to be #1.

There are pretty weak arguments at this point for anyone else to be at number 4.

There are some very nice, extremely well-intentioned folks in our fan base who are really, REALLY uncomfortable with raised expectations and setting higher goals.

It's in the subhead, it's objective truth, and it is undeniable:

"Like it or not, the Golden Gophers are one of only three unbeatens with a top-10 win."

Now... doesn't that make a nice change from, "They haven't played anybody"?

"At the least, the Gophers are in the running for the Rose Bowl. P.J. Fleck is thinking bigger after beating Penn State for one of the biggest wins in program history. Minnesota is 9-0 for the first time since ... 1904. One of three undefeated teams to be a top 10 team. The others are Ohio State and LSU. Yeah, the Gophers deserve to be here."

In a sport like college football where you have to recruit players, we always want to be as highly ranked as possible. That's how we are able to keep this boat going. Who cares about being too close to the sun this year, let's get to the point where the media considers us as actual title contenders.

My confidence in this team has grown exponentially since the big win. If we take care of business at Kinnick, I dont see why we should underestimate our chances of victory against ANY team in the country.

"At the least, the Gophers are in the running for the Rose Bowl. P.J. Fleck is thinking bigger after beating Penn State for one of the biggest wins in program history. Minnesota is 9-0 for the first time since ... 1904. One of three undefeated teams to be a top 10 team. The others are Ohio State and LSU. Yeah, the Gophers deserve to be here."

My minor pet peeve on this phrase is that Minnesota didn't even play 9 games in many seasons. A better comparison in my mind is that they are 6-0 in the conference for the first time since 1961.

Fly too close to the Sun and you get burned, an experienced old man thinks.

We should stay shivering over by the moon. Where's Brewster when you need him to talk about his patch of grass from the Rose Bowl?

This is the weirdest thing I've ever read.

My minor pet peeve on this phrase is that Minnesota didn't even play 9 games in many seasons. A better comparison in my mind is that they are 6-0 in the conference for the first time since 1961.

Right. Kind of irks me as well. At least after this year that streak will have been broken. I'm sure that many teams have similar streaks. Hell....some teams probably have never been 9-0.

Well 40% of the fan base is praying we lose at some point so we can play in the Rose Bowl.

Probably some truth to this. For many of us “older” folk, the Rose Bowl was the goal, the dream, the crowning jewel. The CFP is very recent, and less “tangible”. Does the CFP have a Rose Parade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just heard a discussion on ESPNU Radio about how the CFP Committee should have us ranked higher than Alabama and Georgia. WOW! Just to have Minnesota mentioned in the same sentence with these teams is incredible and a testament to how far we have come as a program. I hope PJ has this team razor focused on Iowa. Keep the boat moving guys!!

I just heard a discussion on ESPNU Radio about how the CFP Committee should have us ranked higher than Alabama and Georgia. WOW! Just to have Minnesota mentioned in the same sentence with these teams is incredible and a testament to how far we have come as a program. I hope PJ has this team razor focused on Iowa. Keep the boat moving guys!!

That thought is from someone who has compared best wins and best losses who actually looked at Minnesota's resume vs just their name.

As a long-time Gopher fan - let me explain some people's attitudes.

We are indoctrinated by years of experience to always think the worst is about to happen. have a big lead at halftime....waiting for the 2nd-half collapse. Start the season 7-1......wait for the team to fall apart when they face the big boys at the end of the season.

So when we see the Gophers playing really well and getting national acclaim, we're really happy. BUT - at the same time, that little voice is still whispering in the back of our ear......."These are the Gophers you're talking about......They'll screw it up......They always screw it up......"

It's like you are wishing for a new bike for Christmas....and you wind up getting socks and underwear. Gopher fans are indoctrinated to not ask for too much or hope for too much, because we've had our hopes crushed so many times. So when people are talking about the CFP and National championships, that little voice is saying......"don't get too cocky or too happy......the football Gods will never let the Gophers win it all......."

That little voice is a b*stard. I want to tell him to go f*ck himself, but even if I believe in the Gophers 99%, there is still that 1% of doubt.

That thought is from someone who has compared best wins and best losses who actually looked at Minnesota's resume vs just their name.

Agree.

This statement should not be considered outlandish or be assumed that it was for the sake of getting a reaction. It is impressive Minn has come along way and is able to be in the same conversation w those two teams. But it would be foolish not to think 100% that those two teams should be behind Minnesota on Nov 11, 2019.

Most rational/logical people would say that those are the facts of the current college football landscape at this time. GA cannot lose to a mediocre team at home and be ranked higher than an undefeated P5 with a top 5 win. AL cannot sustain a defeat at home with their previous SOS and be ranked higher than an undefeated P5 with a top 5 win.

Again, no one should think AL and GA deserve to be higher if they just look at facts.
With that said, we do know that money drives everything.
But for people to both expect (bc of eSECpn/$) AND think (whatever reason) the Gophers will be behind AL and/or GA, then they lose credibility to talk about the rankings (good or bad).

Recruiting exposure angle is valid but just can't get excited about where we're ranked by anyone at the moment. Only numbers I care about is we're 9-0 and it's been a ride beyond expectations this year. Keep winning and we'll be treated fairly in the end.

We should be no worse than #5. We are 1 of 5 undefeated teams left. So, no excuse for any teams to be above us other than those undefeated. Of those, OSU is killing our conference, until we play them they should be above us. Clemson is undefeated and the reigning champ, so of course they should be above us. After that, 3-5 seems right until we lose.

There are some very nice, extremely well-intentioned folks in our fan base who are really, REALLY uncomfortable with raised expectations and setting higher goals.
They need to change their best.

As a long-time Gopher fan - let me explain some people's attitudes.

We are indoctrinated by years of experience to always think the worst is about to happen. have a big lead at halftime....waiting for the 2nd-half collapse. Start the season 7-1......wait for the team to fall apart when they face the big boys at the end of the season.

So when we see the Gophers playing really well and getting national acclaim, we're really happy. BUT - at the same time, that little voice is still whispering in the back of our ear......."These are the Gophers you're talking about......They'll screw it up......They always screw it up......"

It's like you are wishing for a new bike for Christmas....and you wind up getting socks and underwear. Gopher fans are indoctrinated to not ask for too much or hope for too much, because we've had our hopes crushed so many times. So when people are talking about the CFP and National championships, that little voice is saying......"don't get too cocky or too happy......the football Gods will never let the Gophers win it all......."

That little voice is a b*stard. I want to tell him to go f*ck himself, but even if I believe in the Gophers 99%, there is still that 1% of doubt.

I thought the best thing PJ said (as with much of his speech directed at the “journalists” in front of him) was (paraphrased) we have to let go of what happened 50 years ago /40/30/20/10 - this is a new era, new expectations etc.

Get ready to hear this phrase a LOT during and after this week's CFP: Eye Test.

As in:

"Yes, Minnesota may have a better resume, but Alabama and Georgia are better based on the eye test."

SMH

Get ready to hear this phrase a LOT during and after this week's CFP: Eye Test.

As in:

"Yes, Minnesota may have a better resume, but Alabama and Georgia are better based on the eye test."

SMH

Eye test meaning, when you use your eyes, can you read the word "Georgia" or "Alabama" on the uniform.

To be slightly more serious, eye test usually means does your team have a prolific offensive attack? Are you a high-flying fast team with high talented skill positions and lack of mistakes.

If anyone watches the Gophers recently, they would actually be a strong "eye-test" team.
We're not the plodding running game, barely tolerable passing game typically associated with Big Ten football.

Top Bottom