Rose Bowl

I think the national press and exposure of making it to the playoff would be really awesome. However, seeing Gophers play in the Rose Bowl, in that stadium, Minnesota written in gold and maroon in one of the endzones, it would be really amazing to see.

Of course there's still three games to go, but to win a division championship and potentially play in the Rose Bowl would be special.

You talk like going to the Rose Bowl is something demeaning and for losers. Only 4 teams (out of how many?) can make the CFP and I know of at least 11 other teams from the BIG who would love to be in Pasadena on Jan 1.

You misunderstand my desire to see Minnesota in the Rose Bowl. I want ultimately wish to see Minnesota go undefeated and be able to say 8 time national champions as much as anyone. At this point, that is still possible and not under any circumstance do I want them to lose.
My desire for returning to the Rose Bowl has been going on every year since 1962 when I was 7 years old, and since the the mid 1970's I have promised myself that trip every year. Should the Gophers go 15-0 and raise the national trophy over their heads, I could easily live with that and will put my 58 year selfish interest aside for the pleasurement of you.

It is, by definition, for losers this year. The Gophers can't go if they win every game.

Also, I don't even know if my post was targeted at you, whoever said "I don't care about the playoffs" is insane.

It is, by definition, for losers this year. The Gophers can't go if they win every game.

Also, I don't even know if my post was targeted at you, whoever said "I don't care about the playoffs" is insane.

The College Playoff is a recent phenomenon with zero history. Zero tradition.

The Rose Bowl has a century of history. I've been waiting since the early 60s to be at the Rose Bowl, watching the Gophers.

If that makes me insane, so be it. Bring on the Rose Bowl. You can spend the next 6 decades waiting for the CFP.

We go to the Rose Bowl if we lose to Ohio State in Indianapolis. We get to Indianapolis by either beating Wisconsin (even if we lose the other two games) or by losing only one game, while Wisconsin also loses only one game.

If we want the Rose Bowl we're going to have to become big Ohio St fans as we'll want Michigan and Penn St to lose.

I don't think we're a lock to the Rose Bowl if we just get to Indy are we? If we end up with 2 losses, win the west, we're still far from a lock. Ohio St loses one game and they may not be in the playoff. Even if they are can the Rose Bowl pick a 2 loss Michigan over us if they beat Ohio St?

It is, by definition, for losers this year.
So let me get this straight....Minnesota could go through the regular season undefeated, a record of 12-0 (9-0 in the BIG with posession of the Axe, the Pig, the Bell, and the Bits of Broken Chair) losing only to a team in the conference championship game(a game Minnesota has never played in)who would be the only team from the BIG to play in the CFP, and you by definition would consider them losers?????
Wow that's harsh.

I say. just get our 8th National championship this magical year. I dont care what stadium its played in.

Lets go Rose Bowling in 2020-21 year

The Rose Bowl has a century of history. I've been waiting since the early 60s to be at the Rose Bowl, watching the Gophers.

If that makes me insane, so be it. Bring on the Rose Bowl. You can spend the next 6 decades waiting for the CFP.

I’ve waited for the Gophers to win the Big Ten. That used to mean the Rose Bowl but times have changed. I’m not rooting for a beat down against OSU or losing the Axe game just for the sake of tradition.

If we want the Rose Bowl we're going to have to become big Ohio St fans as we'll want Michigan and Penn St to lose.

I don't think we're a lock to the Rose Bowl if we just get to Indy are we? If we end up with 2 losses, win the west, we're still far from a lock. Ohio St loses one game and they may not be in the playoff. Even if they are can the Rose Bowl pick a 2 loss Michigan over us if they beat Ohio St?

First, I don't know exactly what the rules are, but it seems like the current B1G arrangement limits Bowl's ability to just "take whoever they want." We actually got slotted above where we were supposed to when we went to the Citrus Bowl.

I'm very confident that if we end up 13-1 losing to OSU we will be in either the Rose or the Orange Bowl. Second, the usual reason to skip over us is "their fans don't travel." I think we will bring as many or more people to Pasadena as anyone else. And I think they know that.

You WIN what you achieve. If going 12-1 and losing to Ohio State in the BIG championship game keeps us out of the CFP and
sends us to the Rose Bowl, then we have WON a Rose Bowl bid. Got it?

It’s been longer since the gophers won a nc, there has been a nc longer than there has been a rose bowl.

You WIN what you achieve. If going 12-1 and losing to Ohio State in the BIG championship game keeps us out of the CFP and
sends us to the Rose Bowl, then we have WON a Rose Bowl bid. Got it?

Nope, you lost a CFP bid.

Except the rules have changed now:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_to_college_bowl_games#Big_Ten_Conference:

And from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Bowl_Game#College_Football_Playoff

What this all means is:

1. The Big Ten champion goes to the Rose bowl automatically when it is not a playoff semi-final. So if OSU wins the conference over us, but does not make the playoffs, they go to the rose bowl. Only way I see this happening is if they drop a game before the conference championship. If they are undefeated and then beat us, they are in the CFP as an undefeated P5 no if, ands, or buts.

2. In the case OSU is in the playoffs, the bowls then submit their preferences and then the Big Ten sets the bowl games. What this has effectively meant is the "Second best" Big Ten team goes to the Rose bowl, since the Big Ten wants to have the best chance at winning that bowl game. In all the years of CFP when the Rose bowl was not a semi final, and the Big Ten Champion was in the playoffs, this has gone to the second highest Big Ten team in the CFP rankings:
  • 2015 Rose Bowl was a playoff game, not Big Ten Team.
  • 2016 Rose Bowl: #6 Iowa (Big Ten West Division Champ and Second Highest rated Big Ten Team behind #3 MSU in the playoffs)
  • 2017 Rose Bowl: #5 Penn State (Big Ten Champs, but also Second Highest rated Big Ten Team behind #3OSU in the playoffs)
  • 2018 Rose Bowl was a playoff game, not Big Ten Team.
  • 2019 Rose Bowl: #6 OSU (Big Ten Champs, highest ranked Big Ten team)

What this all means is, if we win the west division, but lose the Big Ten championship we have a pretty good chance at the rose bowl as long as we are the 2nd highest ranked big ten team. Things that screw that up:
  • Big Ten Champ does not receive a playoff bid
  • We are not the 2nd highest ranked big ten team after the Big Ten Championship

Thanks for the summary. I wonder what happens if: PSU loses to OSU by 3 and wins all other games. We win out the regular season and lose to OSU by 17. Does PSU end up ahead of us in the rankings?

I was thinking about this, and came up with the following scenario. (warning - speculation)

Gophers beat IA and NW, but lose to WI in final reg season game. gophs go 11-1 and Win West Div. Gophers play OSU in Conf championship game and lose. Gophers wind up 11-2. WI is 10-2 with a win over MN. the B1G decides to send WI to Rose Bowl because they won the head-to-head matchup.

And - because the Gophers have been to the Citrus Bowl more recently, they would probably not be chosen this year, bumping the Gophers to the Outback Bowl as the #3 slot in the B1G.

Now, realistically, I do not think this would happen. MN is a feel-good story and has not been to the Rose Bowl in 50 years. So I really don't see the B1G hosing the Gophers. But - I suppose it is possible if you are trying to come up with a scenario where the Gophers get hosed.

If we lose to both WI and OSU, I fully expect Penn State will be higher in the CFP ranking than the Gophers.

I don’t care about the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom