Rose Bowl

BTChamp

Reaction score
ESPN has The U vs Utah in the Rose Bowl. They're thinking Minnesota wins the West and loses to OSU (I'm guessing).

Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual
Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California
Jan. 1, 5 p.m., ESPN

Bonagura:
Utah vs. Minnesota
Schlabach:
Utah vs. Minnesota

The Rose was always the biggest game for me growing up (almost 50 years). Until the playoff stuff started. Now it feels like it lost a little of it's luster unless it's one of the playoff games. It's still the Rose and damn important. What does everyone else think?

I'd rather go to the Rose Bowl than the playoff. Simply because of tradition and memories of 60-62, and also because I fear Alabama and Clemson and LSU.

ESPN has The U vs Utah in the Rose Bowl. They're thinking Minnesota wins the West and loses to OSU (I'm guessing).

Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual
Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California
Jan. 1, 5 p.m., ESPN

Bonagura:
Utah vs. Minnesota
Schlabach:
Utah vs. Minnesota

The Rose was always the biggest game for me growing up (almost 50 years). Until the playoff stuff started. Now it feels like it lost a little of it's luster unless it's one of the playoff games. It's still the Rose and damn important. What does everyone else think?
I am of the same mind. Although there's no reason why they couldn't run the table and I will be so elated should they make the playoffs, I have been waiting since I was 8 years old for a return to the Rose Bowl. I have already made hotel reservations for Pasadena. Tickets will be $$$$$$ and I might have to add on a few months to my expected retirement, but I have been promising myself since the late 1970's that if they ever were to make it, I will be there. I guess you could call it a bucket wish.

Last edited:

We gonna do this again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, pro tip: just skip the conversation if it bores you.

I'd rather go to the Rose Bowl than the playoff. Simply because of tradition and memories of 60-62, and also because I fear Alabama and Clemson and LSU.

One thing about recent modern CFB is you never know who might decide to sit out the postseason or have their mind on the NFL. That includes Ohio State and the other schools you listed. It evens the ledgers a little bit for maybe less talented rosters to steal one than we traditionally allow for.

Agreed. I told a coworker before the Penn State game that all I wanted was to see the Gophers in the Rose Bowl. As a child of the 80s, it's probably because making it to Pasadena was the ultimate goal for every Big 10 program. Things have changed of course, but being guilty of a bit of nostalgia on my end, it would be an absolute dream to see the Gophers at the Rose Bowl.

And if ESPN thinks that's where the guys are headed, I'm all for it.

In any and all cases I would just rather go to the Rose Bowl, full stop. And we do not have an elite defense yet to have a good chance against the very best teams. Yet.

I am of the same mind. Although there's no reason why they couldn't run the table and I will be so elated should they make the playoffs, I have been waiting since I was 8 years old for a return to the Rose Bowl. I have already made hotel reservations for Pasadena. Tickets will be $$$$$$ and I might have to add on a few months to my expected retirement, but I have been promising myself since the late 1970's that if they ever were to make it, I will be there. I guess you could call it a bucket wish.

I know they’ll have a lottery for tickets through the U, at least that’s what I understand. What’s the best way to get them if you don’t get them in the lottery. I checked Ticketmaster and it said no tickets are available.

Beware of making Rose Bowl travel reservations too soon, or at least make sure they're refundable. If we win the West, but lose to Ohio State in Indianapolis, I think the Rose Bowl would take the Gophers. We'll be a big story and with a Rose Bowl trip being something a lot of Gopher fans thought would never come again, the demand for our allocation will far outstretch supply. However, I believe the Rose Bowl would not be obligated to take us if the Buckeyes were to beat us in the Big Ten Championship Game and odd things have happened in the past.

What happened ahead of the 1/1/03 Rose Bowl to Iowa is a cautionary tale about counting chickens before they hatch. Iowa and Ohio State tied for the conference crown with 8-0 records (no title game back then). Ohio State was undefeated, ranked #2, and headed to the BCS Title Game at the Fiesta Bowl against #1 Miami. Iowa was 11-1 and ranked #3. Hawkeyes fans assumed they'd be going to the Rose Bowl to face PAC-10 co-champs #7 Washington State who got the bid by beating co-champs USC head to head. However, there was no provision for replacing a BCS bound Big Ten or PAC-10 team with another team from those conferences. The Rose Bowl planned to pick Iowa as an at large team, but before it could do so, the Orange Bowl picked the Hawkeyes, wanting the highest ranked teams it could get and knowing that Iowa fans traveled in large numbers to bowls. The Rose Bowl and Iowa were furious, feeling the Orange Bowl had broken an unwritten understanding of sorts. The Orange Bowl contended it wanted the best match up and was within its rights to take Iowa. The Rose Bowl took #8 Oklahoma instead. The Orange Bowl then further upset the apple cart by getting #5 USC for its own Rose Bowl of sorts in Miami.

The time delay between the end of Iowa's season on 11/16/02 (they had what amounted to a bye the next weekend while the other Big Ten teams played their last games) and the bowl selections on 12/8/02 led to lots of Hawkeyes fans making plane, hotel, and rental car reservations for the Rose Bowl that were either not refundable or carried stiff cancellation penalties. One guy even got a good sized Rose Bowl themed tattoo on the basis of Iowa playing in the game. From our last game to the bowl bids going out, we will only have to wait a day or a week and a day, so we won't have that amount of time to go nuts. For that matter, no bowl can prevent a Big Ten or PAC-12 team from making it to the Rose Bowl anymore. However, beware of Rose Bowl execs wanting to please ESPN execs by passing over us for a name brand team. Nothing is official until it is official. Don't end up like the Iowa fan with the tattoo.

Last edited:

Beware of making Rose Bowl travel reservations too soon, or at least make sure they're refundable. If we win the West, but lose to Ohio State in Indianapolis, I think the Rose Bowl would take the Gophers. We'll be a big story and with a Rose Bowl trip being something a lot of Gopher fans thought would never come again, the demand for our allocation will far outstretch supply. However, I believe the Rose Bowl would not be obligated to take us if the Buckeyes were to beat us in the Big Ten Championship Game and odd things have happened in the past.

What happened ahead of the 1/1/03 Rose Bowl to Iowa is a cautionary tale about counting chickens before they hatch. Iowa and Ohio State tied for the conference crown with 8-0 records (no title game back then). Ohio State was undefeated, ranked #2, and headed to the BCS Title Game at the Fiesta Bowl against #1 Miami. Iowa was 11-1 and ranked #3. Hawkeyes fans assumed they'd be going to the Rose Bowl to face PAC-10 co-champs #7 Washington State who got the bid by beating co-champs USC head to head. However, there was no provision for replacing a BCS bound Big Ten or PAC-10 team with another team from those conferences. The Rose Bowl planned to pick Iowa as an at large team, but before it could do so, the Orange Bowl picked the Hawkeyes, wanting the highest ranked teams it could get and knowing that Iowa fans traveled in large numbers to bowls. The Rose Bowl and Iowa were furious, feeling the Orange Bowl had broken an unwritten understanding of sorts. The Orange Bowl contended it wanted the best match up and was within its rights to take Iowa. The Rose Bowl took #8 Oklahoma instead. The Orange Bowl then further upset the apple cart by getting #5 USC for its own Rose Bowl of sorts in Miami.

The time delay between the end of Iowa's season on 11/16/02 (they had what amounted to a bye the next weekend while the other Big Ten teams played their last games) and the bowl selections on 12/8/02 led to lots of Hawkeyes fans making plane, hotel, and rental car reservations for the Rose Bowl that were either not refundable or carried stiff cancellation penalties. One guy even got a good sized Rose Bowl themed tattoo on the basis of Iowa playing in the game. From our last game to the bowl bids going out, we will only have to wait a day or a week and a day, so we won't have that amount of time to go nuts. For that matter, no bowl can prevent a Big Ten or PAC-12 team from making it to the Rose Bowl anymore. However, beware of Rose Bowl execs wanting to please ESPN execs by passing over us for a name brand team. Nothing is official until it is official. Don't end up like the Iowa fan with the tattoo.

I thought teams had to "accept" a bowl invite? Was that not the case then? Iowa couldn't be all "naw orange bowl"? Or did the bowls have a pecking order everyone had to respect?

Seeing the Gophers in the Rose Bowl is my dream. I could care less about the playoffs.

My favorite matchup would be vs Oregon but Utah would be cool too.

RE Iowa in 2002: I do think the bowl selection rules have changed since the 2002 BCS days, though. I'm almost 100% positive that a Big Ten team has to go to the Rose Bowl in non CFP semifinal years.

In non CFP semifinal years, the Rose Bowl automatically gets a PAC-12 vs. Big Ten match up. The key is I don't think the Rose Bowl is bound by any contract to automatically take the Big Ten Championship Game loser, although that is not 100% a certainty.

Y'all are lame. You want the Gophers to lose so you can go to a crappy sports venue in the U.S.'s most congested city? In 5 years, the Rose Bowl will be irrelevant.

I would much rather see the Gophers make the playoffs. If the Gophers make a playoff appearance, then they would be the 3rd team from the B1G to go and they would be the first team from the B1G West. They would get a ton of national spotlight. The entire country would be rooting for them. They would go into next year with 2-3 players on the Heisman radar. They would get all sorts of recruits to look at Minnesota that would have _never_ considered the school before.

Fleck talks a lot about being elite. I would have never of dreamed of a Gopher playoff appearance until this Sunday, but they have a legitimate opening to make it happen this year. I would love to see PJ Fleck take on Alabama with his developed talent from the tundra.

Are y'all kidding me? Your grand kids aren't going to be talking about the Rose Bowl. They're going to be talking about the playoff. And you all would see the _first_ ever Gopher team to make it.

But coming back down to earth. The Gophers need to beat Iowa this week. And they _have_ to figure out a way to stop the short passing game. They have the talent to beat this Iowa team in Kinnick, but they have to be plugged-in and ready to go.

They can't be thinking about Rose Bowls and playoffs right now.

Last edited:

Where's the logic in this? This is exactly what Fleck meant by raising expectations and shooting for goals that seem unattainable to the outside world. The narrative has to change. We aim to reach the level of the sport's true bluebloods, but fear playing them? Lol. I'd rather have the opportunity to play for the ultimate prize (a national title) whether that be the Rose Bowl or no? We can establish our own tradition of competing for championships year in and year out!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Except the rules have changed now:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_to_college_bowl_games#Big_Ten_Conference:
2019:

NOTE: Bowls submit preferences to conference, and conference actually assigns schools to bowls. Other than the Rose Bowl, all Big Ten bowls have agreed to have at least five different schools in their bowl over the 2014–19 contract cycle. Also, no school will appear in same bowl back-to-back years.

#1 College Football Playoff. Champion goes to Rose Bowl if not selected for playoffs. The Rose Bowl gets filled by a Big Ten team if champion is in the playoffs
The Citrus Bowl versus SEC
The Outback Bowl versus SEC
The Holiday Bowl versus Pac-12
The Music City Bowl or the Gator Bowl versus SEC. From 2014–19, the Music City and Gator will each get Big Ten team three times. No Big Ten will appear in either bowl more than once each.
The Pinstripe Bowl versus ACC
The Redbox Bowl versus Pac-12
The Quick Lane Bowl versus ACC
The First Responder Bowl versus Conference USA
The Armed Forces Bowl versus Mountain West

And from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Bowl_Game#College_Football_Playoff
The BCS was replaced in 2014 by the College Football Playoff, which selects four teams for two national semifinal games, leading to a championship game. As part of the arrangement, the Rose Bowl game functions as a semifinal playoff game every three years. In years when the Rose Bowl is not hosting a semifinal, it takes the Pac-12 and Big Ten champions, unless one or both teams qualify for the semifinals, in which case they are replaced by another team from the same conference.

What this all means is:

1. The Big Ten champion goes to the Rose bowl automatically when it is not a playoff semi-final. So if OSU wins the conference over us, but does not make the playoffs, they go to the rose bowl. Only way I see this happening is if they drop a game before the conference championship. If they are undefeated and then beat us, they are in the CFP as an undefeated P5 no if, ands, or buts.

2. In the case OSU is in the playoffs, the bowls then submit their preferences and then the Big Ten sets the bowl games. What this has effectively meant is the "Second best" Big Ten team goes to the Rose bowl, since the Big Ten wants to have the best chance at winning that bowl game. In all the years of CFP when the Rose bowl was not a semi final, and the Big Ten Champion was in the playoffs, this has gone to the second highest Big Ten team in the CFP rankings:
  • 2015 Rose Bowl was a playoff game, not Big Ten Team.
  • 2016 Rose Bowl: #6 Iowa (Big Ten West Division Champ and Second Highest rated Big Ten Team behind #3 MSU in the playoffs)
  • 2017 Rose Bowl: #5 Penn State (Big Ten Champs, but also Second Highest rated Big Ten Team behind #3OSU in the playoffs)
  • 2018 Rose Bowl was a playoff game, not Big Ten Team.
  • 2019 Rose Bowl: #6 OSU (Big Ten Champs, highest ranked Big Ten team)

What this all means is, if we win the west division, but lose the Big Ten championship we have a pretty good chance at the rose bowl as long as we are the 2nd highest ranked big ten team. Things that screw that up:
  • Big Ten Champ does not receive a playoff bid
  • We are not the 2nd highest ranked big ten team after the Big Ten Championship

In non CFP semifinal years, the Rose Bowl automatically gets a PAC-12 vs. Big Ten match up. The key is I don't think the Rose Bowl is bound by any contract to automatically take the Big Ten Championship Game loser, although that is not 100% a certainty.

Big Ten sets the bowl selections after the bowls send their preferences. The only contractual thing the Rose Bowl has is that they get the Big Ten Champ if that team is not in the playoffs. See my post above.

Y'all are lame. You want the Gophers to lose so you can go to a crappy sports venue in the U.S.'s most congested city? In 5 years, the Rose Bowl will be irrelevant.

I would much rather see the Gophers make the playoffs. If the Gophers make a playoff appearance, then they would be the 3rd team from the B1G to go and they would be the first team from the B1G West. They would get a ton of national spotlight. The entire country would be rooting for them. They would go into next year with 2-3 players on the Heisman radar. They would get all sorts of recruits to look at Minnesota that would have _never_ considered the school before.

Fleck talks a lot about being elite. I would have never of dreamed of a Gopher playoff appearance until this Sunday, but they have a legitimate opening to make it happen this year. I would love to see PJ Fleck take on Alabama with his developed talent from the tundra.

Are y'all kidding me? Your grand kids aren't going to be talking about the Rose Bowl. They're going to be talking about the playoff. And you all would see the _first_ ever Gopher team to make it.

But coming back down to earth. The Gophers need to beat Iowa this week. And they _have_ to figure out a way to stop the short passing game. They have the talent to beat this Iowa team in Kinnick, but they have to be plugged-in and ready to go.

They can't be thinking about Rose Bowls and playoffs right now.
You talk like going to the Rose Bowl is something demeaning and for losers. Only 4 teams (out of how many?) can make the CFP and I know of at least 11 other teams from the BIG who would love to be in Pasadena on Jan 1.

You misunderstand my desire to see Minnesota in the Rose Bowl. I want ultimately wish to see Minnesota go undefeated and be able to say 8 time national champions as much as anyone. At this point, that is still possible and not under any circumstance do I want them to lose.
My desire for returning to the Rose Bowl has been going on every year since 1962 when I was 7 years old, and since the the mid 1970's I have promised myself that trip every year. Should the Gophers go 15-0 and raise the national trophy over their heads, I could easily live with that and will put my 58 year selfish interest aside for the pleasurement of you.

Last edited:

I was thinking about this, and came up with the following scenario. (warning - speculation)

Gophers beat IA and NW, but lose to WI in final reg season game. gophs go 11-1 and Win West Div. Gophers play OSU in Conf championship game and lose. Gophers wind up 11-2. WI is 10-2 with a win over MN. the B1G decides to send WI to Rose Bowl because they won the head-to-head matchup.

And - because the Gophers have been to the Citrus Bowl more recently, they would probably not be chosen this year, bumping the Gophers to the Outback Bowl as the #3 slot in the B1G.

Now, realistically, I do not think this would happen. MN is a feel-good story and has not been to the Rose Bowl in 50 years. So I really don't see the B1G hosing the Gophers. But - I suppose it is possible if you are trying to come up with a scenario where the Gophers get hosed.

I was thinking about this, and came up with the following scenario. (warning - speculation)

Gophers beat IA and NW, but lose to WI in final reg season game. gophs go 11-1 and Win West Div. Gophers play OSU in Conf championship game and lose. Gophers wind up 11-2. WI is 10-2 with a win over MN. the B1G decides to send WI to Rose Bowl because they won the head-to-head matchup.

And - because the Gophers have been to the Citrus Bowl more recently, they would probably not be chosen this year, bumping the Gophers to the Outback Bowl as the #3 slot in the B1G.

Now, realistically, I do not think this would happen. MN is a feel-good story and has not been to the Rose Bowl in 50 years. So I really don't see the B1G hosing the Gophers. But - I suppose it is possible if you are trying to come up with a scenario where the Gophers get hosed.

I could see this happening if Wisconsin jumped us in rankings for beating us, and then us losing to OSU, but I think that would be unlikely unless one of the games was a total blow out.

It's a rough day when we're lamenting the Rose Bowl... :D
I can only hope we're in the situation of having to wonder if a 12-1 Gopher record is good enough for the CFP or for "relegation" to the Rose Bowl.

This is why I keep telling people that even at 11-0, the Wisconsin game could still decide the Big Ten Rose Bowl participant. Especially if there are some (God-forbid) blowouts

Agreed. I told a coworker before the Penn State game that all I wanted was to see the Gophers in the Rose Bowl. As a child of the 80s, it's probably because making it to Pasadena was the ultimate goal for every Big 10 program. Things have changed of course, but being guilty of a bit of nostalgia on my end, it would be an absolute dream to see the Gophers at the Rose Bowl.

And if ESPN thinks that's where the guys are headed, I'm all for it.

I remember watching the Gophers in the Rose Bowl in extremely blurry black and white television in 60 and 62, I think it was. Love to see them beat Utah or Oregon in HD, maybe even 4K.

Don't forget about Penn St. They could easily still be Rose Bowl participants as well.

Don't forget about Penn St. They could easily still be Rose Bowl participants as well.

Even Michigan has a shot if they beat OSU and Buckeyes still make CFP with one loss.

Top Bottom