Best quote ever - it it's true

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Someone quoted PJ as saying, "I want to be the Barry Alvarez of Minnesota." I hope it's true, I pray it's true. A dynasty awakens.

Zach Barnett of Football Scoops had written an article on Movenber 6.

According to him, Fleck said it boils down to culture.

The way that you establish that is to have coaching staff that remain together for a long time.

Compare Iowa and Minnesota for example. Between 1973 until the present time, Iowa only had two coaches in 41 years - Hayden Fry (1979-1998) and Kirk Ferenz (1999-Present). Meanwhile, the Gophers went through 8 coaches in that time period - Salem (5), Holtz (2), Gutekunst (6), Brewster (4), Horton (1), Kill (5), Claeys (2), and now Fleck (3 years and counting).

First of all, you have to have the right set of coaches and full support from the AD up and a shared vision which iswhat Wisconsin's Donna Shalala, their AD, and Barry Alvarez had at the inception. It takes 4-6 years to cycle a program with coaches and assistants who stay together.

PJ Fleck is a hire for the generations. He is unique with the right set of skills and charisma.It is amazing what he did in three years! I think PJ Fleck fully intends to stay here for the long haul. He is the one to turn the program around.

There are reasons why PJ FLeck signed a seven-year extension. One might be he does not want attention on him and instead on the players. Secondly, he want to signal to recruits that he is serious about being here for the long haul. It is all about recruiting. When the recruits see how the Gophers beat a team full of 4 & 5 Star players, this has to resonate on the recruits. Winning does cure a lot. It exorcises years of frustrations by lifelong fans. There were many tears shed in the emotional win over Penn State.

I hoped that Mark Coyle is given a pay raise and he stays here together with Fleck for the rest of their career. Mark laid out his vision for the U Athletic Program and PJ Fleck I bet did not flinch an eye when he committed to be the next Gopher Football Coach.

There has to be a lot of nervousness around the Big Ten. Minnesota will no longer be a doormat.

Here is the link to the GOpherhole thread - http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...k-wants-to-become-Minnesota%92s-Barry-Alvarez

Last edited:

Zach Barnett of Football Scoops had written an article on Movenber 6.

According to him, Fleck said it boils down to culture.

The way that you establish that is to have coaching staff that remain together for a long time.

Compare Iowa and Minnesota for example. Between 1973 until the present time, Iowa only had two coaches in 41 years - Hayden Fry (1979-1998) and Kirk Ferenz (1999-Present). Meanwhile, the Gophers went through 8 coaches in that time period - Salem (5), Holtz (2), Gutekunst (6), Brewster (4), Horton (1), Kill (5), Claeys (2), and now Fleck (3 years and counting).

First of all, you have to have the right set of coaches and full support from the AD up and a shared vision which what Wisconsin's Donna Shalala and Barry Alvarez had. It takes 4-6 years to cycle a program with coaches and assistants who stay together.

PJ Fleck is a hire for the generations. He is unique with the right set of skills and charisma.It is amazing what he did in three years! I think PJ Fleck fully intends to stay here for the long haul. He is the one to turn the program around.

Here is the link to the GOpherhole thread - http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...k-wants-to-become-Minnesota%92s-Barry-Alvarez

Glen Mason feels slighted.

Top Bottom