Next Year's crossovers

Don't know if Michigan or Mich St are home or away, but we've got a shot at both, with Morgan and company playing.

Michigan will be tough, even at home.

MSU should be a win on the road, unless we take a big step back.

Maryland is really fast and talented. Could be a tough game.

Re: the bolded...

You're close, but you didn't get it quite right. I believe the proper description is:

"Maryland is incredibly talented and unbelievably fast." Probably in that order, with those exact adjectives.

MSU on the road and Michigan at home is the way you would want it.

Michigan will be good of course. ESPN Gameday!!

MSU on the road should be winnable.

We all know how fast and talented Maryland is at Maryland.

Let's win at Iowa first ;)

This. Always. But, to speculate on a Monday as a fan, is OK too. Of course. And I do not want to be a party pooper again, but we lose a ton, a ton of talent. More in one year than I can ever remember. The whole front seven on D, three very, very talented offensive players, several back up and special teams guys. And, all the guys who will replace them have not been able to break into the starting rolls yet even though the starters are not, in several cases, All Big Ten type players, just good guys doing the best they can. So I am all for enjoying this amazing season while understanding that there are ups and downs in the road ahead. I just think it is a reach to think all our seniors can be replaced without, at the least, a real rebuilding phase in the result column.

We will have already played I-O-W-A and Sconnie before playing for The Jug.

This means we'll already have The Broken Chair, The Bell, The Axe, and The Pig in the Trophy Case.

Pretty sure haven't had the big three at the same time since 1967.

2020 to be the Minnesota's Year of Trophies!

This means we'll already have The Broken Chair, The Bell, The Axe, and The Pig in the Trophy Case.

In 1978 we had all three trophies for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

In 1978 we had had all three trophies for a couple of weeks.

But we didn't have the Victory Bell at that point yet... so even if we had all three, it probably didn't feel like we did.
/s

I'm not sure if this will signal the rapture or open a portal to the 7th layer of hell.

We'll, only 1 way to find out.

Michigan State may very well blow things up after this season. They could be worse next year than they were this year.

Michigan at home will probably be a highly anticipated game depending on how well we do turning over our defense after this season.

We play Iowa and Wisconsin before Michigan next year...chance to either keep Floyd and the axe or win one or both back depending on the outcome of the next three weeks....chance to have all the trophies in the case after that game...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Michigan will be tough, even at home.

MSU should be a win on the road, unless we take a big step back.

Maryland is really fast and talented. Could be a tough game.

Why do we try to make Maryland sound good year after year? They are awful. They were a bad B1G team the last two years too. They are not good. This year, they are probably between our fourth and sixth best win.

More worried about Iowa and Wisconsin so early in the season. We’ll have to be good to start the season and ready to go.

This. Always. But, to speculate on a Monday as a fan, is OK too. Of course. And I do not want to be a party pooper again, but we lose a ton, a ton of talent. More in one year than I can ever remember. The whole front seven on D, three very, very talented offensive players, several back up and special teams guys. And, all the guys who will replace them have not been able to break into the starting rolls yet even though the starters are not, in several cases, All Big Ten type players, just good guys doing the best they can. So I am all for enjoying this amazing season while understanding that there are ups and downs in the road ahead. I just think it is a reach to think all our seniors can be replaced without, at the least, a real rebuilding phase in the result column.

Just because you keep saying this over and over and over again, doesn't necessarily make it true. At DT, they have been rotating Renner (yes, SR) and Schad (returning), MDT (returning), and Teague (returning). At Rush, Coughlin, Winston D, Otomewo and Mafe have been rotating a ton; and at LB, they lose Barber and Martin but Martin has missed a BOATLOAD of time already so Oliver and Sori-Marin have been filling that spot.

They lose some talent but there is a lot of young talent coming up. Not exactly something we should be losing sleep over in early November.

Why do we try to make Maryland sound good year after year? They are awful. They were a bad B1G team the last two years too. They are not good. This year, they are probably between our fourth and sixth best win.

I took that as sarcasm.

OK, so I'll ask it one more time, if the younger guys are so good why are they not replacing the seniors who are no better than mid Big Ten players, if that? The official depth chart shows me the whole front seven as seniors. Bud Wilkinson who was a coaching god said that a really good player will start as a sophmore. We have no four man pass rush past Coughlin, it is our biggest single area of weakness, yet the other three guys, all seniors, are still starting here in November. But, it is a free country and you can believe whatever you want. But I'll stick with the D is going to be a major rebuild next year. Nobody would pick OSU next year to repeat if they were losing their front seven on D.

OK, so I'll ask it one more time, if the younger guys are so good why are they not replacing the seniors who are no better than mid Big Ten players, if that? The official depth chart shows me the whole front seven as seniors. Bud Wilkinson who was a coaching god said that a really good player will start as a sophmore. We have no four man pass rush past Coughlin, it is our biggest single area of weakness, yet the other three guys, all seniors, are still starting here in November. But, it is a free country and you can believe whatever you want. But I'll stick with the D is going to be a major rebuild next year. Nobody would pick OSU next year to repeat if they were losing their front seven on D.

The talent of the younger players is debatable. What I'm saying is, I don't know what depth chart you're looking at but the entire front 7 is most certainly not departing. For one thing, there's really only a front 6 because they've mostly only been playing 2 LB's. You've said emphatically in multiple threads that the front 7 is gone next year and it's just not true. WTF

The talent of the younger players is debatable. What I'm saying is, I don't know what depth chart you're looking at but the entire front 7 is most certainly not departing. For one thing, there's really only a front 6 because they've mostly only been playing 2 LB's. You've said emphatically in multiple threads that the front 7 is gone next year and it's just not true. WTF

Agree about not the entire front 7 (6) departing but it looks to me that the only returning starter is Dew-Treadway at nose DT. Grateful that he was granted another yr here. We lose both DE's (Carter, Delattiboudere(sp?), Renner at one DT, both LB's (Barber & Martin), and Williamson at "Nickel" DB. That looks like a large turnover in a critical area. Going to be an interesting year. PJ and staff have been working on this with playing time for Mafe, Otomewo, Schad, Teague, Sori-Martin, Oliver, Rush, etc., so let's see how it develops. 2020 maybe a more difficult yr than 2019 so let's enjoy!

Well, the media, college insiders, and people will not be able to say we haven’t played anyone early on when we go 9-0 again

This is what the big boys have to deal with and DO. Not always, but often.

So this will be a great test as to how good of an investment we made in giving Fleck that raise and extension.

But I'll mention something you are missing. When you are 9-0, and you haven't been before, you do NOT replace Seniors in the lineup with Freshmen who MIGHT be better. Fleck focuses on maintaining a team concept, disciplined smart error free play. Inserting freshman who MIGHT be better than Seniors in the lineup is NOT the way to foster that team concept on a 9-0 team, and Seniors should almost always be more disciplined and smart.

We'll have to hope that Fleck is such a good recruiter that we don't have to rebuild, but can just replace. I have faith that we will not hardly skip a beat come next year. We DID struggle early in the season, so again, next year, we may struggle early while younger players are improving and figuring things out. But they'll have guys like Tanner and Ibrahim and hopefully Winfield to lead them.

Agree about not the entire front 7 (6) departing but it looks to me that the only returning starter is Dew-Treadway at nose DT. Grateful that he was granted another yr here. We lose both DE's (Carter, Delattiboudere(sp?), Renner at one DT, both LB's (Barber & Martin), and Williamson at "Nickel" DB. That looks like a large turnover in a critical area. Going to be an interesting year. PJ and staff have been working on this with playing time for Mafe, Otomewo, Schad, Teague, Sori-Martin, Oliver, Rush, etc., so let's see how it develops. 2020 maybe a more difficult yr than 2019 so let's enjoy!

IMO, add Winfield to the dearly departed list. He will enter the draft as he is 23 years old and probably has his degree.

Early look is that the offense should be one of the best in the BIG but the replacements on D will have to grow up real quick. The D loses a good number of guys who make big plays. Mafe, Otomewo, Schad, ........etc have not done that to this point.

Maybe we'll pick up a few transfers who can fill in to some spots.

Who knows how tough those crossover games will be. MSU right now is having a really poor year, but they have been traditionally pretty strong. Playing them on the road will be a tough test.
I would say that game will be our 4th toughest of the year behind Michigan, Wisc, Iowa.

Maybe we'll pick up a few transfers who can fill in to some spots.

Who knows how tough those crossover games will be. MSU right now is having a really poor year, but they have been traditionally pretty strong. Playing them on the road will be a tough test.
I would say that game will be our 4th toughest of the year behind Michigan, Wisc, Iowa.

The general vibe I've heard from MSU fans this year is that next year is likely a disaster for them. They lose a majority of their defensive starters and their QB, with no real obvious replacements for the majority of them.

The wheels have come off a bit in East Lansing. I expect Purdue, Illinois or Nebraska will actually be our 4th toughest game.

Top Bottom