Brando on Playoff Committee

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Has some good things to say.

I'd hope that the committee is taken to task if the Gophers don't make a jump into the top ten.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'd hope that the committee is taken to task if the Gophers don't make a jump into the top ten.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I would expect to see a similar jump in the CFP as we did in the polls. The one thing we were missing was a win over a really good team. We have that now, not moving us up significantly would reflect really really poorly on the committee and I don't see them letting that happen.

Even if it is still a bit of a pipe dream, it is crazy that we are even talking about the CFP as a real possibility for this team. Coming into this year I just wanted to see us compete for the West, never thought in a million years we would be in the position we are in at the moment where the Big Ten West title and a possible trip to the Rose Bowl are all very attainable for the team with 3 regular season games to go.

MN could be as high as 4 and lowest SHOULD be around 7-9.
A 10 would be unusually low and the CFP committee would have a hard time explaining how they came up with that.

A few things to watch this week.

1. How far does PSU drop compared to Alabama. PSU will suffer the bigger drop for losing to MN vs LSU, but IMO PSU should still be top 8-10 for losing to an unbeaten team on the road.

2. Are any two-loss teams ahead of Minnesota? There shouldn't be at this point.

3. For one loss teams ahead of Minnesota, why are they there? Alabama and Georgia are two examples.
  • Alabama has no good wins, so that's a really tough argument other than they played LSU close. (Quality loss argument).
  • Georgia's best argument is they have two wins against Top 25 teams. That's all Georgia can cling to right now as they cling to those wins and hope people forget the S.Carolina loss.
  • Oregon and Utah are two more. Both were ahead of MN for better conference wins. Their best win for each team is over a 6-4 team. (That's Illinois' record). Utah beat Ariz St who beat MSU. MN beat Illinois who beat MSU. And Illinois is now our 2nd best win instead of our best.

4. From a SOS standpoint, Clemson and us are both in the 65-75 range only a couple spots apart. How big of a gap between these two unbeaten teams? Minnesota has the better "best win".

5. All of this doesn't matter if we win out and beat OSU.

But it definitely matters if we win out and lose close to OSU. An argument can be made in that case that Minnesota has more quality wins (WI, IA, PSU) and a quality loss to OSU. Compared to Alabama's schedule which would only have an Auburn win in a 12 game schedule and a loss at home to LSU. A 12-1 Minnesota might have a better resume than an 11-1 Alabama.

The biggest thing against Minnesota right now is Name Brand. If our name was Alabama, we would be no lower than #3 right now after this weekend's win (behind LSU and possibly OSU).

Last edited:

The good point he makes is that the media ranking us is one thing but this committee's sole job is rank teams fairly etc.

Now, I still will totally understand if we aren't 5th or higher but that understanding isn't going to last long

For some reason, I honestly don't care where we are ranked. If we win out, including tOSU in Indy, we'll be in.

For some reason, I honestly don't care where we are ranked. If we win out, including tOSU in Indy, we'll be in.

I understand that and I'm in a similar spot, but like doing the analysis.

This is largely to determine if we have a chance as a 12-1 team because this year there will be conversations around 1-loss teams. (Bama, PSU, Oregon, Utah, etc.) So it could matter.

This is largely to determine if we have a chance as a 12-1 team because this year there will be conversations around 1-loss teams. (Bama, PSU, Oregon, Utah, etc.) So it could matter.

Agree. I think it is reasonable/fun to talk about 12-1 scenarios (especially based on the way Ohio State is playing/their roster makeup).
We all know that the team will take it one game at a time, if MN runs the table they are in the playoff, etc. If there continue to be love for the PAC12, it will drive most insane.

Totally. I did not intend for my post to come across like a "why are we talking about this?" post and I appreciate the analysis.

Totally. I did not intend for my post to come across like a "why are we talking about this?" post and I appreciate the analysis.

The CFP still doesn't feel like a reality I think mainly because it was so far off our radars to start the season that even mentioning it at this point feels weird.

Hopefully this is the first year of many where we find ourselves in this position of looking at playoff scenarios in November.

I think it's tough to put any of those teams in ahead of a hypothetical 12-1 gopher team. A 12-1 B1G champ gopher team should be a lock. As for if we are non champs, we would have as forgoveavle a loss as anyone (assuming OSU wins out), better wins than Bama, and head to head against PSU. I have long pushed for Power 5 conference championships to get a lot of weight, so I guess I would lose intellectual consistency if I complained about a one loss Pac 12 champ getting in over us as a one loss non champ.

I would expect to see a similar jump in the CFP as we did in the polls. The one thing we were missing was a win over a really good team. We have that now, not moving us up significantly would reflect really really poorly on the committee and I don't see them letting that happen.

Penn State is not a really good team. They have a bad loss to Minnesota. - CFP Committee, probably

Penn State is not a really good team. They have a bad loss to Minnesota. - CFP Committee, probably

Not the take I am seeing at all from anywhere. It is the kind of assumption our fan base makes but it is pretty clear from the jump we made in both the AP and coaches poll that the National people were just waiting to see if we could beat a good team.

National eyes were opened with the win over Penn State. The team moved from wait and see to legit in the eyes of most. A win over a ranked Iowa team on the road this weekend would erase any and all remaining doubt. And make Ryan Leaf look like a genius, which is something I never thought I would type :)

No risk for the CFP committee to rank the Gophers high because they know the likelihood of them finishing 13-0 is extremely remote. For that reason, I wouldn't give the committee that much props for ranking them high.

I would expect them to be within 1 spot, up or down, of the #7 spot they hold in the AP and Coaches polls

No risk for the CFP committee to rank the Gophers high because they know the likelihood of them finishing 13-0 is extremely remote. For that reason, I wouldn't give the committee that much props for ranking them high.

I would expect them to be within 1 spot, up or down, of the #7 spot they hold in the AP and Coaches polls

That's what makes their ranking of #17 so head scratching. And probably a good reason why Brando is smiling ear to ear in his video. There was basically no risk for the committee to rank the Gophers higher. Especially if they thought that Penn State was going to win anyways. Instead they now find themselves in a bind because they ranked based upon perception rather than results.

Honestly....the committee must be filled with a bunch of idiots if they didn't foresee this possibility occurring.

This is the only fact:

All 5 9-0 teams have one thing in common:

If 4 teams 13-0, those will be the playoff teams. Even Baylor.

That's what makes their ranking of #17 so head scratching. And probably a good reason why Brando is smiling ear to ear in his video. There was basically no risk for the committee to rank the Gophers higher. Especially if they thought that Penn State was going to win anyways. Instead they now find themselves in a bind because they ranked based upon perception rather than results.

Honestly....the committee must be filled with a bunch of idiots if they didn't foresee this possibility occurring.

The committee chair is the Oregon AD.

He removes himself from the room of course when they discuss Oregon, but that doesn't mean he isn't buying dinner.

That was a great video. Brando was HEATED about how low MN and Baylor were ranked last week and was pretty much calling out the committee. Love it.

The CFP will probably wait to see how MN fares on the road against a winning team before giving them full credit. I expect a slot somewhere around 10, or slightly below this week, and won't lose sleep over it.

I think the CFP kept Minnesota ranked low so PSU's resume wouldn't look as strong had they beat us. They know OSU / PSU winner will have a top 5 win. Worst part would be if you have two big ten teams with Top 5 wins. So keep MN ranked low and hope PSU wins.

Say we were #7-9 last week and PSU beats us. They could lose to OSU, be 12-1 and be an impossible miss for the CFP.

But since we won, it screwed up that plan.
Now MN has a top 5 / top 10 win.
OSU / PSU will get one when they play each other. There best hope now is MN chokes over the next three weeks. Otherwise you have two really good teams in Big Ten final and the loser still probably has a better resume than Bama, Oregon, etc.

The CFP will probably wait to see how MN fares on the road against a winning team before giving them full credit. I expect a slot somewhere around 10, or slightly below this week, and won't lose sleep over it.

I think they might do that, but having about 8-9 teams ahead of us with 1 or 2 losses... (and no top 10 wins)... that's hard to defend.

Nailed it! +1 trillion likes

Top Bottom