Iowa is a Trap Game

BroncoRedux

Reaction score
Per Pat Forde:

If today were Selection Sunday, this is how The Dash would arrange the bracket:

Top seed LSU (7) vs. fourth seed Minnesota (8) in the Peach Bowl.

The Tigers (9-0) have by far the best resume in the nation. See above for further details. Next for LSU: at Mississippi.

The Gophers (9-0) make the playoff quartet for the first time, powered by their storm-the-field upset of previously unbeaten Penn State. This is the hottest debate in the sport right now, and The Dash will dive into it at greater length in the Second Quarter. As many as eight or nine teams could stake a claim to this spot at the moment, and it figures to be a flashpoint of disagreement from now until early December. Next for Minnesota: at Iowa Saturday, a trap game supreme.

I've been a fan for a very long time. Trap game and Iowa have never been mentioned in the same sentence when playing Minnesota.

Track record hasn't been good in Iowa at all. I think our guys know that they have to have their A game. Iowa also hasn't had that bad of a season. They are good.

Per Pat Forde:

If today were Selection Sunday, this is how The Dash would arrange the bracket:

Top seed LSU (7) vs. fourth seed Minnesota (8) in the Peach Bowl.

The Tigers (9-0) have by far the best resume in the nation. See above for further details. Next for LSU: at Mississippi.

The Gophers (9-0) make the playoff quartet for the first time, powered by their storm-the-field upset of previously unbeaten Penn State. This is the hottest debate in the sport right now, and The Dash will dive into it at greater length in the Second Quarter. As many as eight or nine teams could stake a claim to this spot at the moment, and it figures to be a flashpoint of disagreement from now until early December. Next for Minnesota: at Iowa Saturday, a trap game supreme.

I've been a fan for a very long time. Trap game and Iowa have never been mentioned in the same sentence when playing Minnesota.

I immediately thought the same. Iowa better not be a trap game ever.

This team doesn't do trap games. 0-0 in the Iowa Championship Season!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This team doesn't do trap games. 0-0 in the Iowa Championship Season!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yes! You think people would realize that by now. We are always 0-0 the day after the game!

It can't be a trap game when you're going on the road and you the underdog. That's just called a dam tough game that we will be fortunate to win.

Iowa is a Championship game and were 0-0.

Trap game? Is that even possible as a road dog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a rivalry game in which we are a road underdog. It's not possible for it to be a trap game.

I don’t know how you could ever consider a rivalry game like this a trap game. We are Vegas underdogs and the upper class men know how big of a game this is. This is not a bad Iowa team by any measure to consider this a trap.

Stop trying to make trap game a thing.

Looking forward to celebrating our win with some prime thick cut bacon

I don’t know how you could ever consider a rivalry game like this a trap game. We are Vegas underdogs and the upper class men know how big of a game this is. This is not a bad Iowa team by any measure to consider this a trap.

I believe the only player on our team that has been on a team that beat Iowa is Rodney Smith (his RS year).

Because we're looking past Iowa to.... Northwestern?

Not sense.

Calling Iowa a trap game sells the Hawkeyes very short. They're 6-3 (3-3) and their losses are to Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin. They're #23 in the latest AP poll, have been ranked as high as #14, and have been in the polls every week from the preseason poll to date. This is a good team, certainly on defense, and one that is more than capable of beating us, especially if the comedown from the Penn State game isn't smooth. A trap game is the following week at Northwestern.

The Wildcats are having a nightmarish season at 1-8 (0-7) and are averaging less than 9 points per game if we toss out their lone win over UNLV. However, there are still some good players there. Not everyone likes Pat Fitzgerald, but he's succeeded there for a long time despite many obstacles with academics and facilities. They were in the Big Ten Championship Game last year with a lot of the same guys and finished up 2018 at 9-5 (8-1) with a Holiday Bowl win over Utah, and a final AP ranking of #21.

While we're at Kinnick Stadium, the Wildcats will host UMass, one of the worst D-1A/FBS teams in decades. So they'll welcome us in for their home finale and senior day having just won and therefore having some confidence and a leave it all on the field attitude to finish up 2019 well. Think of us beating Iowa in 2010 after everything that had happened here when Iowa was ranked #24 and had been ranked all season. Especially if we beat Iowa and are looking to the Wisconsin match up, this is the trap game.

I don’t see any of our remaining games as being trap games. I don’t think the coaching staff will allow anyone on the team to overlook anyone. I think they’ve made their weekly preparation mentality very clear by now. They take every game seriously and make all games of equal importance, hence the 0-0 championship week against whatever opponent it is that week. Sick of fans pigeonholing this team into old Gopher curses. Time to move past the past

Pat Forde has no clue what he's talking about. We may be the better team but Iowa is a very good team that could very easily beat us. It won't be as hard as Penn State but turnovers, special teams, giving up big plays, dropped passes, etc. could all cost us the game very easily. With the Gophers on the road it should be a game where whoever plays better wins.

Northwestern is a trap game. We're underdogs at Iowa. How can it be a trap game? Ridiculous take.

As I posted elsewhere, this game will be a dog fight. The target is now on the Gophs back. I'm sure the Gophs will expect nothing else.

I don’t see any of our remaining games as being trap games. I don’t think the coaching staff will allow anyone on the team to overlook anyone. I think they’ve made their weekly preparation mentality very clear by now. They take every game seriously and make all games of equal importance, hence the 0-0 championship week against whatever opponent it is that week. Sick of fans pigeonholing this team into old Gopher curses. Time to move past the past

Yep. The guys will not overlook Iowa. They know what’s at stake. They seem to be peaking at exactly the right time. Very few injuries thus far and Martin probably coming back. Lines playing well. Defensive secondary getting better every week. We seem to match up well with Iowa on both sides and don’t need to worry about Stanley taking off. Obviously a team like Iowa is talented, Ferentz is a ball possession wizard and they can make enough plays to defeat MN..but this not the same old Gophers.

Maryland was a trap game. Iowa is a rival and is never a trap game.

Not a trap game at all. Haven't won there in 20 years, the empire class were 11th graders the last time they beat Iowa, doubt they want to go winless against Iowa as apart of their legacy, we are also underdogs in Vegas.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

WI needed 250 yards from Taylor to win by two at home. IA is a tougher nut to crack than PSU and MN did not set the world on fire the second half against PSU.
It will take a better effort in IA than the PSU game, Ferenz is not Franklin.

WI needed 250 yards from Taylor to win by two at home. IA is a tougher nut to crack than PSU and MN did not set the world on fire the second half against PSU.
It will take a better effort in IA than the PSU game, Ferenz is not Franklin.

But, PSU also beat Iowa @ Iowa, how does that make Iowa tougher than them?

Northwestern is a trap game. We're underdogs at Iowa. How can it be a trap game? Ridiculous take.

I was thinking the same, but my Northwestern insider said it won't be a trap game...they are that bad. In complete rebuild mode.

Top Bottom