Huge props to Gopher game ops

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
After a day or so of reflecting, the game operations were significantly better than most games I’ve been to. Towels we’re a nice touch, music was outstanding. Had a lot of cool guests on the big screens to help fire up the crowd even more. I hope they take some notes from this and continue to make the experience better and better at the games.

And to top it off, they played The Lion Sleeps Tonight after the game ended.

Completely agree. They have changed their best and were fantastic.

Go Gophers!!

I'm hoping they can get Ric Flair to record something for the Wisconsin game. Maybe even come in person and do the woo live.

Hells Bells being played before they ran on the field is something we have been missing all year. Such a great song to get the crowd and players pumped up. Sweet to see the towels in unison.

I'm hoping they can get Ric Flair to record something for the Wisconsin game. Maybe even come in person and do the woo live.

This right here.
He tweeted out congrats to his alma mater, so maybe we have a chance.

Instead of the “that’s another golden gopher .... first down!!!!”, I wish we would incorporate Ric’s wooooo whenever we got a first.

Been a season ticket holder since I can remember and have become accustomed to the Rick Flair "Wooo". However, I'm trying to remember how that became a thing. Anyone have a recollection how it started? I love it and I'm sure the people around me can tell...

This right here.
He tweeted out congrats to his alma mater, so maybe we have a chance.

Instead of the “that’s another golden gopher .... first down!!!!”, I wish we would incorporate Ric’s wooooo whenever we got a first.

And from what I can tell he's never mentioned the Gophers on Twitter so maybe we got some of his attention that we don't normally get.

I kind of like how it is now though where it is for big plays but not every first down. That keeps it special rather than doing it for a 2 yard run on 2nd and 1.

Only boof was no Hail Minnesota. Band should have just played it.

Didn't they play Hail Minnesota at Half Time? There was no way the usual end of game band/team playing of Hail was going to happen with the on field party

Been a season ticket holder since I can remember and have become accustomed to the Rick Flair "Wooo". However, I'm trying to remember how that became a thing. Anyone have a recollection how it started? I love it and I'm sure the people around me can tell...

Believe it came onboard in association with the “case-ih redzone”. First couple years it was only played then, I think.

Didn't they play Hail Minnesota at Half Time? There was no way the usual end of game band/team playing of Hail was going to happen with the on field party
They played it @ 1/2 time. I liked the ain't no mercy being played frequently on D.

Only boof was no Hail Minnesota. Band should have just played it.

A decent portion of the band was pushed up against the rail trying not to get trampled by the crowd. The entire staff was busy making sure the band was safe. By the time things calmed down the priority was getting them inside where it was safer.

It might not have looked that bad from far away but it was pretty bad, especially for the part of the band up in the stands. Even the Rouser they played was recorded because there was no way the band was playing.

A decent portion of the band was pushed up against the rail trying not to get trampled by the crowd. The entire staff was busy making sure the band was safe. By the time things calmed down the priority was getting them inside where it was safer.

It might not have looked that bad from far away but it was pretty bad, especially for the part of the band up in the stands. Even the Rouser they played was recorded because there was no way the band was playing.

Uff - that's scary! In the event the field needs to be rushed in the future, maybe the band should move onto the field into a corner before the game is done? I hope everyone ended up safe with no more than a couple of bruises!

Uff - that's scary! In the event the field needs to be rushed in the future, maybe the band should move onto the field into a corner before the game is done? I hope everyone ended up safe with no more than a couple of bruises!

That might be more dangerous, as the fans may not notice in that corner and start jumping down on top of them.

I was in the band for 2 field rushes, but neither were sellouts, so it wasn't as bad as this game in terms of safety. I do think they should be thinking about this for the Wisconsin game though. It may be a sellout, and fans may want to rush if winning makes us division champs (if we drop 1 game before then) or if winning gives us an undefeated regular season.

I think the game production with things like videos, music, audio drops, and so on at Gopher Football is the best of any team in town. I could do without hearing the Ric Flair "Whooooo!" quite so often because it's a bit overused, but people love it and respond back, so there's no harm in using it so much. One big thing they always seem to get right is finding songs that the student section gets up to sing and dance along to, keeping them in rotation like a pop song on KDWB for as long as their popularity lifespan goes, and then dropping them out for something new. If the students have fun, they'll want to come back and their energy gets the older fans revved up too. As an example of finding something new and bringing it back, the Biz Markie "Just A Friend" sing-along is relatively new and has been done at maybe one or two games before this one, but already has the potential to be a lasting part of the game experience. Even people at the Penn State fan board who went to the game said they enjoyed it.

From what I've heard no one in the band has significant physical injuries. A trumpet was damaged badly but that's okay considering how bad it easily could have been. Had it been a last second win or a later game with more drunk people it would have almost certainly been worse.

I'm not exactly sure what they'll do next time but I can guarantee they will be doing something different next time. I wasn't a Gopher fan the last time we stormed the field but from what I understand it was much calmer and safer so everyone assumed the same would be true. Now that everyone knows what can happen I'm sure there will be a better procedure in place. The director is great and she will do whatever it takes to make sure the band isn't in a similar situation in the future.

That might be more dangerous, as the fans may not notice in that corner and start jumping down on top of them.

I was in the band for 2 field rushes, but neither were sellouts, so it wasn't as bad as this game in terms of safety. I do think they should be thinking about this for the Wisconsin game though. It may be a sellout, and fans may want to rush if winning makes us division champs (if we drop 1 game before then) or if winning gives us an undefeated regular season.

I agree. Move enough security down there to guide fans around the band.

Hells Bells being played before they ran on the field is something we have been missing all year. Such a great song to get the crowd and players pumped up. Sweet to see the towels in unison.

Playing this during the game was one of many highlights- awesome job on choreography.

Top Bottom