Gophers 2 wins in IA since 1976

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Sorry. I screwed up. I was looking at Wikipedia and the columns were numbered 70’s, 80’s, 90’s etc and I thought those were the years.

20 years since the last win in Iowa. Another long time streak that needs to be broken. Last wins were 1999 and 1989 for those of you who didn’t know. Not an easy place to play. Iowa is very tough at home. If the Gophs win this one look out. Go Gophers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

For those of you who didn’t know. Not an easy place to play. Iowa is very tough at home. If the Gophs win this one look out. Go Gophers!

I agree, winning on the road in the Big Ten is tough, especially at a place like Iowa. That said....that stretch from 1976 to today includes a lot of really bad Gopher football teams. This team is very different.

Fleck addressed it in his post game yesterday. Have to change the narrative from haven't done this or that in the past 50, 40, 30 years. This isn't business as usual around here, we are in uncharted territory.

??????

We won in Iowa City in ‘99, also ‘90? Not a lot but those are off the top of my head. Your stats seem off.

??????

We won in Iowa City in ‘99, also ‘90? Not a lot but those are off the top of my head. Your stats seem off.

99 was the last win. They do play tough at home but this is a new era Gopher team. I agree with MV, this is a new deal. Will be a bruiser of a game but we will score on them and shut their offence down. Observing yesterday, I do not believe our player went all out emotionally. Looked very business like and Morgan is in an unbelievable groove. Iowa's hand are just not big enough for this years contest.

I wonder if this team has done anything else that hasn't been done in a while?

PJ will get this team past the pink locker room. We bring our culture to Iowa City on Saturday.

Gophers are 15-25 in the last 40 games in the series and have lost the last 4 This will be a tough game.

One thing to remember - They played Penn State pretty close on November 12 losing 17-12. Iowa is damgerous at home.

Sorry. I screwed up. I was looking at Wikipedia and the columns were numbered 70’s, 80’s, 90’s etc and I thought those were the years.

20 years since the last win in Iowa. Another long time streak that needs to be broken. Last wins were 1999 and 1989 for those of you who didn’t know. Not an easy place to play. Iowa is very tough at home. If the Gophs win this one look out. Go Gophers

Sidenote. When we win this week at Kinnick, we will have the Chair bits, Bell, Pig, and Axe trophies.

I think Gopher fans need to buy up as many tickets as they can find on secondary ticket sites. We need everyone down there. Combat their home field noise. I’ll be there with 4 others. Let’s storm two fields in two consecutive weeks. We need a mobile force of traveling fans, do what Iowa and Sconnie have been doing to us for years

I think Gopher fans need to buy up as many tickets as they can find on secondary ticket sites. We need everyone down there. Combat their home field noise. I’ll be there with 4 others. Let’s storm two fields in two consecutive weeks. We need a mobile force of traveling fans, do what Iowa and Sconnie have been doing to us for years

^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Things will change in the PJ Fleck Era.

But first, let's look at the historic rivalry between Iowa and Minnesota. In 128 years (1891-2018) Minnesota leads the series 62-48-2. Minnesota dominated the series until about 1982.

In 50 years (1968-2018) Iowa leads the series 28-21-1. In that time span, the game was played in Iowa City 24 times. Iowa won 16 times. The Gophers won in Iowa City 1969, '71, '73, '75, '79, '81, '89, '99.

So, there is a 20-year drought in Iowa City. A difficult place for the Gophers recently. Overall in the last 20 years (1999-2018), Iowa won 14 times. The Gophers won only once in Iowa City (1999). Even more disturbing, Iowa won the last 4 games (2015-2018).

IMHO, the reason why the Hawkeyes were so dominant in their home turf is because of the twelve man - the fans. It didn't help that Gophers football was also in decline. Heck, when the Metrodome was built, Iowa fans dominated the home crowd because we made a large nice indoor stadium for the Hawkeye fans to come up to the cities and watch their team dominate, and then they go shopping and take in the entertainment they don't have down in Iowa. At TCF, the fans hardly ever filled the stadium. Wisconsin and Iowa fans more often than not overpower Gopher fans. If PJ Fleck turns the program around, we will see more fans coming to the game with PJ's marketing and branding promotions. The Sleeping Giant may be awakening.

The biggest contributor to Iowa's dominance is coaching stability from the 1970s up to the present. Iowa had only two coaches in 41 years: Hayden Fry 1979-1998 (20 years) and Kirk Ferentz 1999-Present. They have a solid program and system.

Meanwhile, the Gophers went through 8 coaches in the same time frame: Joe Salem 1979-1983 (5 years); Lou Holtz 1984-1985 (2); John Gutekunst 1986-1991 (6); Tim Brewster 2007-2010 (4); Jeff Horton 2010 (1); Jerry Kill 2011-2015 (5); Tracy Claeys 2015-2016 (2); PJ Fleck 2017-Present.

One of the Gopher's agenda should be to break Iowa's and Wisconsin's dominance. Also the home court advantage at Iowa City must change. The Gophers should turn the table and make it difficult for any team to win at TCF Bank Stadium.

We sure hope that PJ Fleck is committed to Minnesota for the long haul like he said this last weekend in the press conference. This program stability is exactly what the Gophers need. They will take many recruiting advantages away from rivals schools in the Big Ten West.

http://www.winsipedia.com/iowa/vs/minnesota

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa–Minnesota_football_rivalry

Last edited:

Iowa can’t score enough points to win the game, so...

Top Bottom