Working on mistakes

Gold Rush

Reaction score
No doubt about it, the Penn St. game was a great victory and a blast to watch if you were a Golden Gopher fan. Once again, we were able to pull out a win even though we made some mistakes that hopefully we can work on for next week's game vs. Iowa. I love it when we can overcome a mistake and you can learn from it without it costing you the game -- those are the most painful ones.

- Shannon Brooks fumble - completely foolish not to wrap that up when he was in heavy traffic and he was fighting for extra yards when the play was just about stopped. It's ok to keep fighting but you have to protect the ball.

- Paulson had a play where he just missed the blocker completely and QB Morgan just got smoked. That was almost an interception.

- Just because you have a 12 point lead at halftime doesn't mean you can kill the clock for 30 minutes. There's too much time left - keep running what was successful - if you can - and don't go into a shell.

- QB Morgan had an exceptional day but the one pass he didn't make - the little fade in the end zone to WR Johnson needs a little work because I would like to see that one again and this time it can be successful!

- The one play that really killed us on defense was their passes to the tight ends who weren't covered very well. They better work on that one because I guarantee Iowa is watching the tape from this game and will try to use their TE's the same way.

These are all things that maybe we could work on and improve upon and there are probably others as well. I don't want to sound like I am nitpicking or complaining because I thought the players and coaching staff all did an exceptional job playing against a top 5 team in the country that had 2 weeks to prepare for them. This wasn't a fluke that we got lucky on because Penn St. came in severely banged up or took us lightly because they were looking ahead to next week. They knew this was a big game going in and if they didn't, they knew it pretty much 5 minutes in when they got intercepted on their opening drive, the Gophers march down and score and the crowd is going crazy. Penn St. certainly made some mistakes too they will need to work on.

Maybe the most important thing for the boys to work on is to let it go and get ready for Iowa. If they are still celebrating the big win when they play Iowa, and lose as a result, then Penn St. STILL beat them - just ironically not in the week they played them!!

Last edited:

The pass from Morgan on the fade to Johnson was really in a great spot. I don’t think Johnson got off the line well

Every team has stuff to work on every week.

I do think people talking about “going into a shell” are overblowing it a bit.

Second half drives:
1st - 10 plays. Punted. Threw the ball on 2/3 first down plays.
2nd - 1 play. Fumble. Would’ve been 2nd and 8 on 50 with no fumble.
3rd - 10 plays. Touchdown. Threw the ball on 2/4 first down plays.
4th - 8 plays. Punt. Threw the ball on 0/3 first down plays.
5th - 4 plays. Punt. Threw the ball on 0/1 first down plays but threw the ball on second down and took a sack with less than 4 minutes left.
6th drive - 2 kneel downs

So excluding kneel downs.
The gophers threw the ball on 4/12 first down plays.
They threw the ball the same number of times in the second half as the first half.

If you could change two plays to zero yard runs (brooks fumble and smith 5 yard loss on a first down run play) nobody would be saying we went into a shell

The pass from Morgan on the fade to Johnson was really in a great spot. I don’t think Johnson got off the line well

I disagree with this one. From my angle, it looked like TJ had a smaller DB on him. That pass should have been deeper into the end zone and not OB.

I disagree with this one. From my angle, it looked like TJ had a smaller DB on him. That pass should have been deeper into the end zone and not OB.

Yup. He should’ve thrown back corner. He threw it wide right and short

Fleck talks about their routine all the time, celebrate and then get back to work, always striving to get better. I haven't seen any signs of contentment from this team yet, they seem hungry and motivated to get better and better each week.

There are always things to work on, always things to get better at and I have all the confidence in the world that these guys will hit the field today hungry to get better and keep this crazy ride going. 0-0 in the Iowa Championship Week!

I don't think anyone watched this game and thought the Gophers played a perfect game. I trust coach to work on things they can keep improving on and be ready again next Saturday for another tough test.

More time on fixing issues.
Less time on designing uniform combos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More time on fixing issues.
Less time on designing uniform combos.

Between PJ designing all uniforms, helmets AND making hype videos it is obvious that he isn’t doing a good job coaching.

No doubt about it, the Penn St. game was a great victory and a blast to watch if you were a Golden Gopher fan. Once again, we were able to pull out a win even though we made some mistakes that hopefully we can work on for next week's game vs. Iowa. I love it when we can overcome a mistake and you can learn from it without it costing you the game -- those are the most painful ones.

- Shannon Brooks fumble - completely foolish not to wrap that up when he was in heavy traffic and he was fighting for extra yards when the play was just about stopped. It's ok to keep fighting but you have to protect the ball.

I completely disagree with this. The game reply was just on ESPN U and I was lucky to tune in during this play. Shannon made a move to the outside to try and get outside the edge. He had the ball high and tight as he was getting ganged tackled. Two guys wrapped him up and a third guy came in and stripped the ball. Not really much more he can do, not like he was stood up and fighting for additional yards. Penn State's defense made a solid play by going for the ball. Did it suck? Of course, but I'm not putting Shannon in the dog house for that for that fumble.

Between PJ designing all uniforms, helmets AND making hype videos it is obvious that he isn’t doing a good job coaching.

You forgot promoting himself.

Conzemius on the post game showed agreed with those who thought Johnson should have got to that ball from Morgan and didn't get out his break quick enough. The color guy on the broadcast thought Morgan simply missed an open Johnson. I am not sure who is right, but I the bright side is the play would have wored with just slightly better execution from someone which means it was a good playcall.

I don't think there is a ton to work on from a game where the Gophers were comfortably ahead of the number 4 team in the nation for much of the day, but I do continue to be worried about the special teams. Ryerse had ANOTHER kickoff go out of bounds, this one to start the game. His other kickoffs were much shorter than I'd like and I was pleased the coverage team was able to contain the dangerous Penn State returners especially. It'd be really nice to just kick it in the end zone like seemingly every team on our schedule does to us. Unfortunately it doesn't appear we have someone on the roster who can do that.

There are some things they could improve on and no turnovers would be ideal but that's not a realistic expectation. The ball is the program but they can't be so focused on not turning the ball over that they're missing out on bigger plays because they're so afraid of turning it over. It's really hard to complain about a +2 turnover margin. If they can do that against Iowa I feel pretty good.

Me thinks you're being too critical of our beloved Gophers. They played largely penalty-free and intercepted PSU three times.

You have to take it easy on poor on the poor guy. It's tough when a guy you've been attacking for being a fraud, liar, hypocrite, etc.; someone who who doesn't care about his players; somebody who has a double standard; someone plays hurt players; and somebody you went on a Holy Crusade against, has the Gophers at 9-0 and in the national spotlight. You've really got to tone down the passive aggressiveness or else the Flecksters will be all over you and you might quit GH again because people are mean to you.

Every team has stuff to work on every week.

I do think people talking about “going into a shell” are overblowing it a bit.

Second half drives:
1st - 10 plays. Punted. Threw the ball on 2/3 first down plays.
2nd - 1 play. Fumble. Would’ve been 2nd and 8 on 50 with no fumble.
3rd - 10 plays. Touchdown. Threw the ball on 2/4 first down plays.
4th - 8 plays. Punt. Threw the ball on 0/3 first down plays.
5th - 4 plays. Punt. Threw the ball on 0/1 first down plays but threw the ball on second down and took a sack with less than 4 minutes left.
6th drive - 2 kneel downs

So excluding kneel downs.
The gophers threw the ball on 4/12 first down plays.
They threw the ball the same number of times in the second half as the first half.

If you could change two plays to zero yard runs (brooks fumble and smith 5 yard loss on a first down run play) nobody would be saying we went into a shell

This is what I too saw when I watched the replay, somewhat surprizingly. We just did not have great field position and when we did get it we got the fumble. Penn State, fair and square, just won the second half on the playing field. We played just well enough to win the game. Good.

You forgot promoting himself.

The Iowa fans are getting nervous. They just can't help but need to put down a guy who so totally threatens what little they have. As the Gophers have moved up, they must move down in the standings, recruiting and sense of self worth. Rather than dealing with this in their own world, they must come here and seem so silly, weak and defeated.

Last edited:

The ball landed in bounds. Johnson simply didn’t get there.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. From my perspective, that ball should have been in the back corner to give Johnson enough room to run under it and post up. It was meant to be a delayed release. I just watched the replay and it looks like PJ and Morgan also agree it wasn't a great throw.

This is being extremely nit-picky as that was the only bad ball he threw all game, but I think that one was on Morgan. If that ball is in the corner of the end zone with a little more air under it, it's a TD.

We NEED to get our Kick-offs into the end zone. We are giving up yards when the return man is fielding it between the 5 and 10 yard line and moves it 15-20 yards. There has to be at least 4 guys on the team who can get it into the end zone and another 4-5 on campus who can.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. From my perspective, that ball should have been in the back corner to give Johnson enough room to run under it and post up. It was meant to be a delayed release. I just watched the replay and it looks like PJ and Morgan also agree it wasn't a great throw.

This is being extremely nit-picky as that was the only bad ball he threw all game, but I think that one was on Morgan. If that ball is in the corner of the end zone with a little more air under it, it's a TD.

This is correct.

And went too conservative at the end.
Could have cost them. Thank goodness it didn’t!!

Last edited:

You have to take it easy on poor on the poor guy. It's tough when a guy you've been attacking for being a fraud, liar, hypocrite, etc.; someone who who doesn't care about his players; somebody who has a double standard; someone plays hurt players; and somebody you went on a Holy Crusade against, has the Gophers at 9-0 and in the national spotlight. You've really got to tone down the passive aggressiveness or else the Flecksters will be all over you and you might quit GH again because people are mean to you.

You would help your argument a lot if you just stuck to the facts. Some things you mention are true, but they get lost in the sea of BS you throw in. Par for the course with you.

Also, you may need to adjust your sarcasm meter on the “uniform design” aspect. I forget sometimes you need things explained to you.

Top Bottom