Iowa's season so far

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Started 4-0, beating Miami OH, Rutgers, @Iowa State, and Middle Tennessee, without leaving the state.

Since then, they've gone 2-3, beating the unranked teams and losing to the ranked teams (rankings at the time of the game):

at #19(AP) Michigan L 3-10
vs #10(AP) Penn State L 12-17
vs Purdue W 26-20
at Northwestern W 20-0
at #13(CFP) Wisconsin L 22-24

They've been ranked top 25 all season (AP and CFP), though it's possible they could fall out this week (but I don't think so).

Based on that, the early first take to me seems like: this will be simultaneously a very difficult game, and yet a game that we "should" win. I'm going to guess the spread will favor us by less than a TD, and would not be surprised if the winner wins the game by less than a TD.

Started 4-0, beating Miami OH, Rutgers, @Iowa State, and Middle Tennessee, without leaving the state.

Since then, they've gone 2-3, beating the unranked teams and losing to the ranked teams (rankings at the time of the game):

vs Purdue W 26-20
at Northwestern W 20-0

They've been ranked top 25 all season (AP and CFP), though it's possible they could fall out this week (but I don't think so).

Based on that, the early first take to me seems like: this will be simultaneously a very difficult game, and yet a game that we "should" win. I'm going to guess the spread will favor us by less than a TD, and would not be surprised if the winner wins the game by less than a TD.

Two things always come to mind about Iowa:

1) They always play "fairly well." They almost never embarrass themselves by looking awful or overmatched. Conversely, they rarely look like dynamic world-beaters either. Most games, they seem to just kind of "hang around" and either win or lose at the end of the game.

2) They always seem tough to beat at Kinnick.

Going in to 2019, I thought they were the team to beat in the West. Now, if we take care of business against them, they'll be also-rans.

vs Purdue W 26-20
at Northwestern W 20-0

They don't seem to have a very prolific offense? Our lowest point output so far this season in conf play is the 31 we scored on PSU and they were ranked very highly as a defense. If Iowa can't muster more than 20 pts against the likes of NW and the 26 vs Purdue being their highest output, I'd like to surmise that we will win comfortably. But there has to be some reason all their games are low scoring games? So taking that into account I'm still going to assume we'll win but that it might be a lower scoring game and hence closer in score? 27-17 is my prediction.

They are out (for all intents and purposes) of the Big Ten race after a nail biter in Madison. The hangover plus the reality of a failed season could very well lead to a more lackluster effort. It’s certainly not unprecedented as I believe it was 2014 the Gophers destroyed them in Minneapolis.

Very winnable game, but rivalry game so have to believe we’ll get their best despite their failures. For the Gophers an opportunity to end another mind numbing statistic and basically cement the west before we have to play Sconnie.

They play in a lot of close games. 6 of 7 games against power 5 opponents have been decided by 7 points or less. I see no reason why next Saturday won't be a close game too.

They don't seem to have a very prolific offense? Our lowest point output so far this season in conf play is the 31 we scored on PSU and they were ranked very highly as a defense. If Iowa can't muster more than 20 pts against the likes of NW and the 26 vs Purdue being their highest output, I'd like to surmise that we will win comfortably. But there has to be some reason all their games are low scoring games? So taking that into account I'm still going to assume we'll win but that it might be a lower scoring game and hence closer in score? 27-17 is my prediction.

Iowa's defense is solid but after what we just did against Penn State's D it is tough to be scared of anyone. Like us, they like to control TOP and grind it out whenever possible. Our games against Wisconsin and Iowa have the potential to be low scoring simply on the basis that all 3 teams really like to control the clock.

That said, Iowa doesn't seem to run the ball well at all so it would appear they use a short passing game as their primary means of moving the ball. Based on Fleck saying that Kamal was ready to go yesterday he should be good to go for the Iowa game which will be a huge boost to our defense. I feel like we should be able to keep their offense mostly in check and then it will just come down to seeing if anyone can stop our offense.

Coughlin had a great line in the post game press conferences when one of the reporters asked about winning in Iowa and framed it as something we haven't done in a long time. Carter's response was something to the affect of - we are doing a lot of things here that we haven't done in a long time -.

Winning in Iowa is never easy but if the teams keeps preparing the way it has been to this point and goes down there and plays a clean game, I love our chance to bring Floyd back home where he belongs.

Iowa tends to score about 20 or less.
I would hope our defense holds them to around that again.

Their defense doesn't allow a lot of points, but we score on most defenses.

A tough 24-20 victory should be in the works for us if we don't turnover the ball too much.

They play in a lot of close games. 6 of 7 games against power 5 opponents have been decided by 7 points or less. I see no reason why next Saturday won't be a close game too.

I agree that it will likely be close.

Reasons why it might now be close however.
#1. Our defense causes turnovers
#2. We might be the best WR corp they play. So like PSU who had a good defense, it got tough to matchup against our #2 and #3. So the hope would be we can pass on their #2 and #3 CB's like we did yesterday.

If we can pass effectively again, we put up 30 points like every week.

Iowa shouldn't win a shootout with us. PSU could have.

vs Purdue W 26-20
at Northwestern W 20-0

I like the Gophers offense a lot more than I like Iowa's. I don't think they can outscore us - they are going to have to really D it up and make it a low scoring game. They certainly can do this, but I like our chances this week a lot.

At Kinnick in a rivalry game, the safe assumption is that it will be a close game....I could definitely see that happen

....I could also see a repeat of a game like Wisconsin last year. Our offense is special, what they did to Penn State solidified that in my mind. If we don't stop ourselves with turnovers and mistakes I honestly think we can score on anyone in the country. The question then becomes, if we play clean, can Iowa score enough points to keep up?

Iowa takes down highly ranked opponents at home....

Their defense is legit.

This game is just as risky a game as Penn State game IMO.

Last edited:

Iowa takes down highly ranked opponents at home....

Their defense is legit.

This game is just as risky a game as Penn State game IMO.

Agreed. Always thought this was going to be our 2nd toughest game after Penn State.

Iowa has three losses. they are out of the Division race. But they can spoil the Gophers' season - or at least hang the first loss on them.

I would love to see the Gophers win in a blow-out. but I don't expect it. I expect a close, hard-fought game that will be decided in the 4th Quarter.

On the other side of the coin, a Win by the Gophers puts them in really good shape in the Division. If the Gophers beat IA and beat NW, they go into the last game of the year with a 2-game lead in the Division. (assuming WI beats Neb and Purdue).

So the Gophs have a lot to play for. Plus, there is a pig involved, or so they tell me.

Iowa has three losses. they are out of the Division race. But they can spoil the Gophers' season - or at least hang the first loss on them.

I would love to see the Gophers win in a blow-out. but I don't expect it. I expect a close, hard-fought game that will be decided in the 4th Quarter.

On the other side of the coin, a Win by the Gophers puts them in really good shape in the Division. If the Gophers beat IA and beat NW, they go into the last game of the year with a 2-game lead in the Division. (assuming WI beats Neb and Purdue).

So the Gophs have a lot to play for. Plus, there is a pig involved, or so they tell me.

Another way to put it: If the Gophers beat Iowa and then Northwestern, the Gophers clinch the West.

Gophers are 6-0 in the conference. Two more wins and they'll be 8-0 in the conference. Even if Wisconsin beats us, we'd be 8-1 and since Wisconsin already has 2 conference losses (Illinois and Ohio State), we'd be division champs.

Another way to put it: If the Gophers beat Iowa and then Northwestern, the Gophers clinch the West.

Gophers are 6-0 in the conference. Two more wins and they'll be 8-0 in the conference. Even if Wisconsin beats us, we'd be 8-1 and since Wisconsin already has 2 conference losses (Illinois and Ohio State), we'd be division champs.

And just as importantly, we'd still be in a good position for the Rose Bowl even if we lost to Wisconsin and Ohio State.

11-2 and west champ MN > 10-2 PSU and 10-2 WI

Can’t Iowa technically still win the division?

If we lost our last three, and Wisconsin lost to Nebraska and Purdue? Might be a far-fetched catastrophe scenario, but it’s all they’ve got left.

If we lost our last three, and Wisconsin lost to Nebraska and Purdue? Might be a far-fetched catastrophe scenario, but it’s all they’ve got left.

Yes, they can win the division, but it's not a likely scenario.

Yes, they can win the division, but it's not a likely scenario.

Yep, game between Iowa and Wisconsin was for all intensive purposes an elimination game. Sconnie is unlikely to lose to either Nebraska or Purdue and although nothing is ever certain I just don't see how we lose to Northwestern without just playing catastrophically bad.

Still plenty to play for, bowl position, Floyd....but the West race is down to 2 teams at this point.

Unless Iowa scores 30, they are not winning this game.

All comes down to how the Gophers deal with success...do they pat themselves on the back all week or just get hungry for more?

Iowa will play stubbornly, but if we bring our A game we'll win, it's up to our team to not give them the chance.

This is for the pig and pride. All bets are off.
Gophers have to play another stellar game against a good team.

Yep, game between Iowa and Wisconsin was for all intensive purposes an elimination game. Sconnie is unlikely to lose to either Nebraska or Purdue and although nothing is ever certain I just don't see how we lose to Northwestern without just playing catastrophically bad.

Still plenty to play for, bowl position, Floyd....but the West race is down to 2 teams at this point.

"Intents and Purposes"

All comes down to how the Gophers deal with success...do they pat themselves on the back all week or just get hungry for more?

This will be the key but based on what we have seen this year I feel confident the team will be ready to go against Iowa. These guys seem laser focused and ready to go each week, a let down is always possible but I don't think it is going to happen.

The weather. Bad weather hurts our passing game more than their game. Give us the weather we had yesterday and we will just score too much for them. 31-21?

This is unrelated, but I think Illinois can too. If Minnesota loses out and Wisconsin loses 1 and Illinois wins out, it's a 3 way tie where Illinois beat Wisconsin who beat Minnesota who beat Illinois. It goes to division record after that and Minnesota gets booted and then Illinois wins the head to head with Wisconsin.

A lot of variables there so I might have made a mistake but I think they are still in it.

This is unrelated, but I think Illinois can too. If Minnesota loses out and Wisconsin loses 1 and Illinois wins out, it's a 3 way tie where Illinois beat Wisconsin who beat Minnesota who beat Illinois. It goes to division record after that and Minnesota gets booted and then Illinois wins the head to head with Wisconsin.

A lot of variables there so I might have made a mistake but I think they are still in it.

Which is kinda crazy! Lovie obviously is having his best year. Guessing they will keep him around.

Iowa will be completely pumped to take out their highly ranked rival at home. The target is now on the Gophers back. Expect a dog fight.

Top Bottom