Bowl projection thread after Penn State

U2Gopher

Reaction score
Still no love from CBS Sports as the still predict Becky to the Rose. They obviously believe Becky wins the west. They still have us in Citrus against Auburn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sporting News and 247 have us in the Rose Bowl against Utah.

Bleacher Report predicts Rose versus Oregon.

Can you please put the links in your posts?

Still no love from CBS Sports as the still predict Becky to the Rose. They obviously believe Becky wins the west. They still have us in Citrus against Auburn.

Not sure how we are underdogs in that game at all. Insane.

If the Gophers win 2 of their next 3, Wisconsin will be watching us play in the Big Ten championship game! Would love to be playing Wisconsin for the axe this year as an 11-0 team!

Does anyone know if any bowl representatives were there yesterday? If so, we put on a great show for them. Would imagine Rose, Orange or Outback would love to have Fleck and the Gophers.

Since preseason Jerry Palm has been the most anti Gopher major media voice. Why stop now?

I’m surprised he doesn’t still have us in Pinstripe or something.

Does anyone know if any bowl representatives were there yesterday? If so, we put on a great show for them. Would imagine Rose, Orange or Outback would love to have Fleck and the Gophers.

Somewhere I saw that there were representatives from the Orange Bowl and the Citrus Bowl at the game and they were VERY interested in the Gophers.

Somewhere I saw that there were representatives from the Orange Bowl and the Citrus Bowl at the game and they were VERY interested in the Gophers.

From Sid’s column (which I rarely read anymore), so take it for what it’s worth

The way we played and our crowd yesterday along with our showing at the Citrus Bowl had to impress them

Last edited:

ESPN
Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California
Jan. 1, 5 p.m., ESPN
Bonagura: Utah vs. Minnesota
Schlabach: Utah vs. Minnesota

CBS (Known Gopher hater Jerry Palm)
Citrus Bowl
Jan. 1
Orlando, Fla.
ACC/Big Ten vs. SEC
Minnesota vs. Auburn

Sporting News
Jan. 1
Rose Bowl
Minnesota vs. Utah

Athlon Sports
Outback Bowl
Jan. 1, ESPN at 1 p.m. ET
Projection: Minnesota vs. Texas A&M

CFN
Outback Bowl
Wednesday, January 1
1:00 ET, ESPN
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL
Big Ten vs. SEC
Projection: Minnesota vs. Auburn

So, it looks like Outback or Citrus is likely our worst case scenario at this point (assuming we can handle Northwestern).

Orange/Rose is the most likely.

CFP still possible.

ESPN
Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California
Jan. 1, 5 p.m., ESPN
Bonagura: Utah vs. Minnesota
Schlabach: Utah vs. Minnesota

CBS (Known Gopher hater Jerry Palm)
Citrus Bowl
Jan. 1
Orlando, Fla.
ACC/Big Ten vs. SEC
Minnesota vs. Auburn

Sporting News
Jan. 1
Rose Bowl
Minnesota vs. Utah

Athlon Sports
Outback Bowl
Jan. 1, ESPN at 1 p.m. ET
Projection: Minnesota vs. Texas A&M

CFN
Outback Bowl
Wednesday, January 1
1:00 ET, ESPN
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL
Big Ten vs. SEC
Projection: Minnesota vs. Auburn

Jerry’s an idiot and also doesn’t understand B1G bowl selection criteria. There is no way at this point that the Citrus is in play.

It will be:
Playoff
Rose
Outback

Unless another bowl jumps on the Gophers like Orange or Fiesta.

Jerry’s an idiot and also doesn’t understand B1G bowl selection criteria. There is no way at this point that the Citrus is in play.

It will be:
Playoff
Rose
Outback

I agree he's an idiot and I thought there was no way the Citrus would take MN because of the selection contract/criteria, but apparently there was some info leaked last week that they're super interested in MN vs. Auburn, so at least 3 websites were predicting that matchup. They even sent a contingent to the game last night (probably to scout PSU as well). Nobody can predict a thing, of course, but I agree that Rose, Orange, and Outback seem more likely.

I believe there is a one time exception that can bring back a repeat team to both of those Bowls.

Iowa has been at the Outback two of the last three years.

It will be:
Playoff
Rose
Outback

Fiesta is a CFP game. Orange is most likely if not CFP or Rose, Outback if Gophs are not a New Years Six team.

Fiesta is a CFP game. Orange is most likely if not CFP or Rose, Outback if Gophs are not a New Years Six team.

My mistake on Fiesta. Of course...maybe I’ll be right...

Jerry Palm was adamant about how if MN wins the B1G, they would be out of playoffs if they had a loss. However he thinks a 12-1 PSU is a lock for CFP. Certified dink.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

So, it looks like Outback or Citrus is likely our worst case scenario at this point (assuming we can handle Northwestern).

Orange/Rose is the most likely.

CFP still possible.
Yes indeed! A great year when the Outback or Citrus would be disappointing! I LOVE it.

I spend the day checking flights and tickets to the Rose Bowl and parade...never been in my 5+ decades of being a gopher fan.

Jerry Palm is a total dickmouth. Clearly sticking to his preseason prediction and doesn't have the balls to own his dickmouth mistake.

If we win just ONE more game - Wisconsin - we go to Indianapolis. Losing there means the Rose Bowl. Winning there means???

Help me out here - trying to understand the various bowl scenarios
Assuming that OSU wins their last three conference games and we go:
4-0 - CFP
3-1 - Rose (doubt that a 1 loss Gopher team, even if they beat OSU, goes to CFP)
2-2 (losing to OSU, Iowa) - Rose
2-2 (losing to OSU, Wisky) - Where it gets dicey - Wisky could go ahead of us. Possibly - Rose, Outback or Orange?
1-2 (losing to Iowa and Wisky) - Outback or Orange?
0-3 - Outback

Of course if Michigan beats OSU, that really throws things up in the air (if we go 2-2). If OSU still gets CFP nod, Michigan could get the Rose bid. If PSU beats OSU - also chaos prediction-wise PSU could go CFP or Rose.
For the first time in a long while, I am firmly rooting for OSU to win all three of their remaining games (keeps it simple for sure)

Thoughts - what am I missing or not thinking about?

Top Bottom