Minnesota's Ceiling?

Recruiting. Recruiting. Recruiting. Recruiting.

In order for the Gophers to become a Helmet school - a school that consistently is in contention for conference titles and a playoff berth, they need to get the recruiting classes from the 30's up to the Teens.

That is a big jump to take.

Putting up recruiting classes even in the 15-20 range will mean bringing in 4* players, the occasional 5*, and every other player has to be a high 3*.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I don't know if that's sustainable on an every-year basis.

My gut says the Gophers' ceiling is more of a team that wins 9-10 games every year, with the occasional 11-win season. Win Division titles maybe 3 years out of 5. Win a Conference title at least once every 5 years. Make the CFP playoffs once or twice in a 10-year period. (assuming they stay with a 4-team playoff.)

Do that for a decade, and then you can talk about expanding the stadium.

That's a good take, I think that's about right. Wisky is probably the bar to hit. If PJ can go beyond that, well that would be unbelievable. Exciting times!

I can remember Barry Alvarez saying that they started winning, when they stopped making excuses for not winning. We seem to have key people in place to do that for the first time in decades. If these folks can stay here and work together for the next 5+ years our ceiling will be top 10 at the end of every season. We’ve been top 25, twice in the past 50 or so years. I would take that as a ceiling anytime. The attitude needs to become, “ We may not win the BIG this year, but you’ll have to beat us, if you’re going to win.”

I can remember Barry Alvarez saying that they started winning, when they stopped making excuses for not winning. We seem to have key people in place to do that for the first time in decades. If these folks can stay here and work together for the next 5+ years our ceiling will be top 10 at the end of every season. We’ve been top 25, twice in the past 50 or so years. I would take that as a ceiling anytime. The attitude needs to become, “ We may not win the BIG this year, but you’ll have to beat us, if you’re going to win.”

I assume you are referring to end of season rankings. Because we've been ranked at plenty of times during various seasons.

It is totally conceivable that we could have / might face Penn St. in the B1G Championship game.... so that is pretty clearly a legitimate possibility. Ohio St. might look like a freight train now but stuff happens.

As for serious natty predictions I think that might take a bit more time / crooting moving up even if JUST for depth consideration.... but damn our guys are playing out of their minds.

Any ceiling is a matter of commitment to, and investment in, the program. For years it was the victim of neglect. That has changed. As long as that continues, I have great faith in the future. My only concern at the moment is that the sudden gush of national media attention will divert the teams attention away from taking care of busnness next Saturday in Iowa City.

Our ceiling year for the next 20 might be this year.

Top Bottom