Screen Coverage

hello-world

Reaction score
PSU exposed some potentially fatal weaknesses in Minnesota's LB play yesterday (bad reads on play action & missed open field tackles against explosive RBs).

The celebration is good, but the Gophers struggled with something that is going to be a strength for the remainder of the teams on the schedule, and they need to get that cleaned up ASAP.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited:

PSU exposed some potentially fatal weaknesses in Minnesota's LB play yesterday (bad reads on play action & missed open field tackles against explosive RBs).

The celebration is good, but the Gophers with something that is going to be a strength for the remainder of the teams on the schedule, and they need to get that cleaned up ASAP.

Let's hope Kamal Martin is healthy for Iowa. The young LBs definitely got an education yesterday.

The celebration is good, but the Gophers with something that is going to be a strength for the remainder of the teams on the schedule, and they need to get that cleaned up ASAP.

If only we had some other Line Backer with lots of experience that wasn't available against PSU, but could come in to play against IWOA.

The celebration is good, but the Gophers struggled with something that is going to be a strength for the remainder of the teams on the schedule, and they need to get that cleaned up ASAP.

EDIT: Typo

Failure=growth

If only we had some other Line Backer with lots of experience that wasn't available against PSU, but could come in to play against IWOA.

Players get hurt in football. The entire 2-deep needs to be able to defend against a short passing game and power running. That can't be something only the starters know how to do.

Let's hope Kamal Martin is healthy for Iowa. The young LBs definitely got an education yesterday.

He will be. From what Fleck said, he was healthy enough to play yesterday but he didn't want to throw him in there when he hadn't practiced once all week.

Most of those weren’t screen plays.

While I agree we had some linebacker issues I am baffled by the thread title

I mean there was the 30y outlet pass which definitely counts as a screen, and they were hitting those short play-action passes which I don't really have word to describe, so, I'm calling it their screen game.

Last edited:

This. But yeah, Sori-Marin was mostly a step late in pretty much every way yesterday. He made a couple big plays, but he was a liability that PSU attacked multiple times. Barber is already a liability in coverage, so when you put a guy out there who's even worse, the offense finds him pretty quickly. He would drop into his zone, look around once, then sit and cover air while a WR or TE would sneak in right inside him for those easy completions. Oh well, hopefully he continues improving as he's a bit piece of the future.

Top Bottom