Things we worried about, but maybe aren’t as worried about anymore

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
There was a lot of consternation on here during the non-conference portion of the schedule, and rightfully so.

I think the thing I remember most is the concern about our offensive and defensive lines after playing South Dakota St. From what I saw, and have read, the Gophers offensive line outplayed Penn State’s vaunted from 7.

What a crazy season this has been.

What other fears and concerns have been alleviated?

I was really concerned with the o-line and d-line after the South Dakota State game, as you mentioned.

Both have turned out to be pretty good.

That being said, I really thought the o-line would flat-out dominate this season. They have actually done that — at times. Not always. Our running game seems to go hot and cold because of the line. It's been mostly very good, though.

The O-line really did play extremely well yesterday, against a PSU front seven that is as good as any in the country. And when the line left a hole, PJ schemed it such that the RBs picked up the defender (that first TD to Bateman never happens without Brooks picking up a perfect block).

I'm far more concerned about a D-line that didn't get enough pressure, and a linebacker crew that isn't as fast as it needs to be. If the LBs played better yesterday, the Gophers would have blown out PSU. I'm also concerned that the kicking game may cost us a close one, yet, as it is not one of our strongest assets at this time.

My other concern is that the coaching staff tends to go away from what is working too early. Yesterday, going away from the slant and passing game, which was REALLY working well, and which matched up with the deficiencies in PSU's vaunted D, nearly cost the team the game.

As for the rest, the Gophers are excellent at WR, solid at TE (blocking, in particular), solid at RB, and very good in the defensive secondary. PJ and staff do a pretty good job of shoring up deficiencies and utilizing strengths across the board. Always room for improvement.

I think we would have won comfortably yesterday if Martin played. The back-ups were okay but struggled covering PSUs tight ends.

OL:

Much better, I worry, but less.

Lingering concern:

Kirk, I love him, but offensive play calling in the second half:

THE PASS SETS UP THE RUN! JUST RUNNING DOESN'T WORK!!!

We saw it a bit in the OCC and got way run heavy too early in the second half.

Top Bottom