Morgan is the starting QB the next 2 seasons, right?

In all fairness, we've never seen what Annexstad could do if he was 100% healthy and playing behind a good offensive line. In his FR year, Annexstad had a shaky O-line and got hurt right away.

Football being what it is, I suspect that at some point over the next couple of seasons, Annexstad will get a chance to play in a meaningful situation and show what he can do.

I would like to see that, if only for the sake of curiosity. And, I would think the Coaches would like to see what Annexstad could do, just in case they need him. Shoot, if it was up to me, I would let Annexstad play at least the 2nd half of a non-conference game next year to get some reps in a game situation.

Assuming he stays, yes. I have no idea if he has any interest in leaving. But he would only have his fifth year senior season to be the starter in 2022.

Does Tanner have a rocket arm? No but he hits receivers in stride and is accurate. I’ll take that all day long over a strong arm. Can you remember back to the awful Mitch Leidner days??? He couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and didn’t know how to throw a damn spiral for gods sake. Tanner Morgan is something special. I wish he could run a little better but oh well. People are underestimating him and we are spoiled with his accuracy. Pull up an old Mitch Leidner clip and you’ll know what I mean. He’s the starter till he graduates. End of story.

Mitch's end over end throws still cause nightmares.

It’s amazing that Kill’s squad couldn’t find a quarterback that could throw a spiral and yet PJ brought some western Michigan recruit with him who might end up being a gopher great.

It’s amazing that coach after coach struggles to find a solid QB here at Minnesota until Fleck came along. It’s like all the prior coaches were allergic to good QB’s. And then you’d watch a Middle Tennessee State game on tv, or like Eastern Carolina, and they’ve got a stud QB. And you find yourself thinking “is getting a good QB that hard, or do we just have horrible people in charge of recruiting?”. I think we’ve found the answer to that question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s amazing that coach after coach struggles to find a solid QB here at Minnesota until Fleck came along. It’s like all the prior coaches were allergic to good QB’s. And then you’d watch a Middle Tennessee State game on tv, or like Eastern Carolina, and they’ve got a stud QB. And you find yourself thinking “is getting a good QB that hard, or do we just have horrible people in charge of recruiting?”. I think we’ve found the answer to that question.

I think much of it comes down to coaching and offensive systems. The previous regime had some success developing defensive players and running backs, but it pretty much ends there.

I'll take efficient all day. Tanner is the starter.

It seems pretty clear Morgan is that rarest of beasts - the elusive “gamer”. Think back to last season - despite ZA struggling mightily even when close to 100% healed from his leg injury, and basically immobile for 3 games, the coaches didn’t give TM a shot. It wasn’t until ZA was literally in the hospital that he was given the team and the rest is history. Then, this offseason supposedly (I tend to discount this as willful misinformation to placate ZA) he was again going to be the backup. After the season Morgan is having ZA will literally have to be the next coming of Tom Brady to get the start. It’s simply unthinkable a coach would pull a guy performing like TM2. What else do you want? A runner? ZA isn’t a dual threat guy either. JC sure isn’t.

It seems pretty clear Morgan is that rarest of beasts - the elusive “gamer”. Think back to last season - despite ZA struggling mightily even when close to 100% healed from his leg injury, and basically immobile for 3 games, the coaches didn’t give TM a shot. It wasn’t until ZA was literally in the hospital that he was given the team and the rest is history. Then, this offseason supposedly (I tend to discount this as willful misinformation to placate ZA) he was again going to be the backup. After the season Morgan is having ZA will literally have to be the next coming of Tom Brady to get the start. It’s simply unthinkable a coach would pull a guy performing like TM2. What else do you want? A runner? ZA isn’t a dual threat guy either. JC sure isn’t.

Guess what happened to drew bledsoe when Tom Brady got his chance to show what he could do. There were a couple good stories last week about TM2 . His work at perfecting how to throw a football and all the work he put into it. The work is paying off. Also the QB whisperer Fleck is giving these kids a method to ignore the noise and pressure and perform their best.

I would say Tanner has done enough to be the starting QB for the next three seasons. The Iowa season, the Northwestern season and the Wisconsin season. :D

I couldn't figure out why so many were clamoring for Morgan to not win the job at the start of this year.

Even the incompletion to TJ in the end zone yesterday was a really good pass. He put it in a spot where it would not be a turnover. He just missed it by inches.

I would say Tanner has done enough to be the starting QB for the next three seasons. The Iowa season, the Northwestern season and the Wisconsin season. :D

Well played....but you forgot a few seasons. At our current rate he has a minimum of 5 seasons left this year and if things get really crazy maybe even 6.

Different offensive scheme. ML was a very solid QB for the scheme. Heavy run built on read option. Recruited bigger/durable QBs.

I would also debate it was coach after coach. For his offenses, Mase had very solid QBs. Weber was as well and put up some pretty big numbers.

This entire thread is minus even a touch of reality. Tanner has had bad games this year. Just a couple of months ago some of you were complaining about his "locking down on one receiver". He can not run a lick. He is gifted to have the best coach, the best set of four wide receivers, the best stable of running backs and a very good offensive line. It is even common now for him to have six guys blocking for him that have no other responsibilities. The chance that he will be injury free for more than two more seasons is how close to zero? Surely by now we should all understand that it is just one game at a time and the next guy better be ready to step up when needed. Yes, he is doing a great job in the last four games, but even he knows that he will be the goat on this site after one bad game. Such is the life of any QB. Just ask the two guys most mentioned above, Adam and Mitch. Gopher record books are filled with what they did here and they get nothing but insults because they did not play with this offensive team which we are blessed to have this year. All the best to Tanner, but keep your head on straight young man.

This entire thread is minus even a touch of reality. Tanner has had bad games this year. Just a couple of months ago some of you were complaining about his "locking down on one receiver". He can not run a lick. He is gifted to have the best coach, the best set of four wide receivers, the best stable of running backs and a very good offensive line. It is even common now for him to have six guys blocking for him that have no other responsibilities. The chance that he will be injury free for more than two more seasons is how close to zero? Surely by now we should all understand that it is just one game at a time and the next guy better be ready to step up when needed. Yes, he is doing a great job in the last four games, but even he knows that he will be the goat on this site after one bad game. Such is the life of any QB. Just ask the two guys most mentioned above, Adam and Mitch. Gopher record books are filled with what they did here and they get nothing but insults because they did not play with this offensive team which we are blessed to have this year. All the best to Tanner, but keep your head on straight young man.

Sad how you barely (don't) give him any credit at all.

The guy has thrown 21 td's to only 4 ints and has a rating of 191. Morgan is miles ahead of any QB this team has had in a long time, leading one of the best offenses in the nation and just light up what was supposed to be a top 5 defense in the nation and you come here and post this crap?

Maybe give the man some credit?

18 for 20, he hit the receivers really well. That doesn’t just happen

We finally have a passing game, after all these years - due to great receivers, good coaching and Tanner. Morgan's stats put him 4th in the nation in passing efficiency, first in the B10. By the way, Winfield is 2nd in the nation in interceptions.

It’s amazing that Kill’s squad couldn’t find a quarterback that could throw a spiral and yet PJ brought some western Michigan recruit with him who might end up being a gopher great.
Some of that was the offensive philosophies, as KC runs a much more qb friendly offense than Kill/Limey did. For whatever reason kill and limey abandoned what they were doing at Northern Illinois. I'm probably in the minority here but ML7 would've been a stud in KC offense. Tough to look good in 1 wr sets and you only throw on obvious passing downs

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I did, I just don't play the silly game of "it is all the QB's fault (together with the head coach) when we lose and the QB is a god when we win". Tanner has been outstanding of late, like the PSU QB up till yesterday was a "god" until yesterday. Now it is all his fault. As Tanner himself says all the time, he does what he does because he has great people all around him. Lots of them this year. But, you guys go ahead and see him as a god if you want and need to do that.

You dummy. After the (record setting) Purdue game......teams sold out to stop the pass game and we carved them for two straight 300 yard rushing games. No need to throw the ball. So the bad games that you refer to....are mostly just your poor ability to analyze what is actually happening on the field. Fear of what Morgan does when he throws the ball with time.

Yeah....he had terrible games when we killed teams by 30 points. Get real....dip$hit.

Last edited:

These thing s seem to be at odds. He did really well last year as well. He hasn’t had a “bad game” yet by my measure. We’re talking about a redshirt sophomore college QB. Of course big credit goes to the blockers and receivers but if you can’t see the talent at QB I don’t know what to say. Accurate, rare mistakes, quick decisions and delivery. Sure you’d like to have him look like Michael Vick when plays break down but pretty minor quibble. Not sure what your point is with these posts? Statistically he’s in the top tier not only in conference but in the country and on pace for a few records to fall.

Last night, Glen Mason said it was the “best performance by a Minnesota QB I’ve ever seen.” He might know a little about the subject.

The video in this tweet displays a throw very few QBs can make, and he’s made several of those. Yes, he was protected by 6 OL, a TE, and a RB, but that also means there were only 2 receivers running routes against 6 defenders. The route, throw and catch had to be perfect, and they were. Who else is making that throw? Leidner? Hell no...

https://twitter.com/minnesotaonbtn/status/1193638476845060096?s=21

He’s 13-2 as a starter. Enough said.

Last edited:

Last night, Glen Mason said it was the “best performance by a Minnesota QB I’ve ever seen.” He might know a little about the subject.

The video in this tweet displays a throw very few QBs can make, and he’s made several of those. Yes, he was protected by 6 OL, a TE, and a RB, but that also means there were only 2 receivers running routes against 6 defenders. The route, throw and catch had to be perfect, and they were. Who else is making that throw? Leidner? Hell no...

https://twitter.com/minnesotaonbtn/status/1193638476845060096?s=21

He’s 12-2 as a starter. Enough said.

Leidner would have thrown a pick, or put the ball 10 yards too far on that pass to Johnson along the sideline. I don’t know what Gopher QB I’ve seen make a pass like that as many times as Morgan has this season. Weber was the closest we had to passes of Morgan’s caliber

Tanner is underrated even after all he’s done this season. If he was 6’4 220, everyone would be raving about him as a legit pro prospect.

Tanner Morgan is 13-2 as the starter. Every other qb in the Fleck era is a combined 8-11. Morgan is 9-2 in big ten play, everyone else 2-11. All you need to know

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I've mentioned it before, but Morgan looks to me like he is becoming Drew Brees 2.0. The main difference is that the Gophers are less reliant on passing than the Boilermakers were. I'm starting to think Morgan might not be with the team through his senior season.

I've mentioned it before, but Morgan looks to me like he is becoming Drew Brees 2.0. The main difference is that the Gophers are less reliant on passing than the Boilermakers were. I'm starting to think Morgan might not be with the team through his senior season.

This is an awful take. I could see Annexstad transferring for sure, but in what world would Morgan leave a team like this? He loves PJ, loves the culture, and is perfect for the scheme.

This is an awful take. I could see Annexstad transferring for sure, but in what world would Morgan leave a team like this? He loves PJ, loves the culture, and is perfect for the scheme.

I wasn't referring to a transfer to another college program.

Top Bottom