Morgan is the starting QB the next 2 seasons, right?

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
He's definitely won the job. It's the perfect scenario. We have a QB who rises to the challenge, who is one of the best in the country, but doesn't have the athletic pedigree for us to worry of him declaring for the draft early. I get that Zach Anexstead is good and might have a chance to play on Sundays, yet it seams hard to see Morgan ever losing this job.

If he stays healthy it is hard to envision anyone else leading the Gophers as long as Morgan is on the roster. That said, if at some point one of the other QBs manages to beat him out for the starting job then look out because that will mean that kid is even better and right now being better than Tanner Morgan basically means you are one of the best QBs in all of college football and probably a Heisman candidate.

If he stays healthy it is hard to envision anyone else leading the Gophers as long as Morgan is on the roster. That said, if at some point one of the other QBs manages to beat him out for the starting job then look out because that will mean that kid is even better and right now being better than Tanner Morgan basically means you are one of the best QBs in all of college football and probably a Heisman candidate.

It’s amazing that Kill’s squad couldn’t find a quarterback that could throw a spiral and yet PJ brought some western Michigan recruit with him who might end up being a gopher great.

It will be an interesting dynamic.
Good problem to have.

I think Tanner is excellent, but I think the coaching is a HUGE factor.
They way they have the WR's running routes, I think they make it easier for the QB to be efficient.

PJ appreciates Zack but man, Tanner has two games now where for the entire game he has like two incompletions and no interceptions. That’s not common.
Joe Burrow May have looked prettier playing QB Saturday but Tanner is playing at an elite level to be certain!
We keep winning and why, how could you change?

It will be an interesting dynamic.
Good problem to have.

I think Tanner is excellent, but I think the coaching is a HUGE factor.
They way they have the WR's running routes, I think they make it easier for the QB to be efficient.

It all goes hand in hand. The bottom line though is the QB has to read the play and make the right decision which is something Morgan is really good at. He hits his receivers in stride most of the time and gives them the chance to make things happen after the catch.

It’s amazing that Kill’s squad couldn’t find a quarterback that could throw a spiral and yet PJ brought some western Michigan recruit with him who might end up being a gopher great.

This, plus the fact that Fleck can recruit and coach wide receivers.

I think a lot of the frustration with QBs under Kill can be laid at the feet of the Stone Age passing game he ran. Nelson had a lot of ability and I think Leidner needed some tutelage he didn't get. I always was wondering if Leidner wasn't making his reads or that the design of the passing game was so abysmal that there were no viable reads to make.

That said, Morgan (and Annexstad for that matter) are better than anything we've had in years.

As long as Tanner is enrolled at the U and has 2 functioning legs he will be the starter for this team.

Nothing else really needs to be said.

He’s going to get even better, as he continues to improve his pocket awareness/scrambling and as things (reading defenses, etc) slow down for him even more.

PJ recently said it will always be an open competition, but I think he pretty much has to say that.

Did you see that pass to Tyler Johnson where he one-hand caught it with his left hand and his helmet? Tanner Morgan put it there accurately where only TJ can catch it. That is great accuracy. Wow! Just wow!

I think a lot of the frustration with QBs under Kill can be laid at the feet of the Stone Age passing game he ran. Nelson had a lot of ability and I think Leidner needed some tutelage he didn't get. I always was wondering if Leidner wasn't making his reads or that the design of the passing game was so abysmal that there were no viable reads to make.

That said, Morgan (and Annexstad for that matter) are better than anything we've had in years.

And from the one pass I saw from Jacob Clark this year, I think he's better than anything we've had in 15 years. (Getting ahead of myself, I know).

And from the one pass I saw from Jacob Clark this year, I think he's better than anything we've had in 15 years. (Getting ahead of myself, I know).

Yes, you’re getting way ahead of yourself on that, with all due respect.

He may go pro after next year if he has another outstanding season next season.

But PLEASE do not put ZA back in. I had multiple seizures and strokes last season because of him. Am I the only one think he sucked? Mitch Leidner and Bryan Cupito we’re both better than him and those two weren’t even that good.

I am an Adam Weber fan.

He may go pro after next year if he has another outstanding season next season.

But PLEASE do not put ZA back in. I had multiple seizures and strokes last season because of him. Am I the only one think he sucked? Mitch Leidner and Bryan Cupito we’re both better than him and those two weren’t even that good.

I am an Adam Weber fan.

I think you might be the only one.

What 99% of fans don’t seem to understand is that there is a whole lot more to playing QB than arm strength. Find Fran Tarkenton on Barriero if you need an expert saying so. I will bet my house that if Morgan is not hurt, he will start opening day 2020.

Can’t you people appreciate anything ever? Did you ever play sports beyond peewees? The guy just had a nearly perfect game against the number 4 team in the country with a top 10 defense.

He’s already a Gopher great. The only question is where he ends up on the all-time list.

Annexstad may have a stronger arm and be a more vocal leader, but Morgan has IT.
He's calm, decisive and accurate. That's what you want out of your QB.

What 99% of fans don’t seem to understand is that there is a whole lot more to playing QB than arm strength. Find Fran Tarkenton on Barriero if you need an expert saying so. I will bet my house that if Morgan is not hurt, he will start opening day 2020.

Can’t you people appreciate anything ever? Did you ever play sports beyond peewees? The guy just had a nearly perfect game against the number 4 team in the country with a top 10 defense.

Exactly right Jake. He’s one of the top QBs in the country, the best we’ve had in my lifetime, and some are wondering if he’ll continue to be the starter.

It's Morgan's job now. He has fantastic receivers to work with....which obviously helps make the QB look better....but Morgan almost never throws an errant ball. Even on deep passes....he's dropping the ball right where it needs to be. It's pretty unreal how accurate he's been. But again....the combination of great ball placement plus a three-deep group of pretty unreal receivers? It's like the football gods are spoiling us for years and years AND YEARS of pain.

Tanner is the starter for the rest of his career here, if he continues to play at this level, which he has shown no indication of a dropoff since we got on a roll last year. If anything, he's improving.

Things can happen. Bad life decisions, or injuries. You hope that doesn't happen. I hope it doesn't happen, because I want Tanner to be the starter for the next two seasons as well.

In a way I feel bad for Annexstad and Clark. They probably weren't planning to be backups in 2019-2021. If they choose to transfer, I won't blame them and I will wish them best of luck. If they choose to stay on this great program, that is also a great choice IMO.

He’s already a Gopher great. The only question is where he ends up on the all-time list.

I can't see how this isn't correct. The rest of this season will continue to prove it out.

Morgan just needs 800 yards and 4 touchdowns to have the best QB statistical season in Gopher history (current record holder is Weber's 2007 season). He should be the starter going forward.

Morgan just needs 800 yards and 4 touchdowns to have the best QB statistical season in Gopher history (current record holder is Weber's 2007 season). He should be the starter going forward.

And would be interesting to compare the top X on the list for yards/attempts and TDs/attempts. Anyone can break passing records throwing it 80 times a game (not saying Weber did, just making a general comment).

Earlier in season I would've said no

But he's locked down the job

Does Tanner have a rocket arm? No but he hits receivers in stride and is accurate. I’ll take that all day long over a strong arm. Can you remember back to the awful Mitch Leidner days??? He couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and didn’t know how to throw a damn spiral for gods sake. Tanner Morgan is something special. I wish he could run a little better but oh well. People are underestimating him and we are spoiled with his accuracy. Pull up an old Mitch Leidner clip and you’ll know what I mean. He’s the starter till he graduates. End of story.

In all fairness, we've never seen what Annexstad could do if he was 100% healthy and playing behind a good offensive line. In his FR year, Annexstad had a shaky O-line and got hurt right away.

Football being what it is, I suspect that at some point over the next couple of seasons, Annexstad will get a chance to play in a meaningful situation and show what he can do.

I would like to see that, if only for the sake of curiosity. And, I would think the Coaches would like to see what Annexstad could do, just in case they need him. Shoot, if it was up to me, I would let Annexstad play at least the 2nd half of a non-conference game next year to get some reps in a game situation.

Top Bottom