Start of season: what did you hope for?

Not sure I ever said out loud, but 9-3 sounds like something I would predict.

Given all the guys coming back, given the way we closed out last season, given Coach Fleck, I thought we had a real shot at the West title. The only problem I saw was the rather weak D line. Nonetheless, I thought 9-3 would be the lowest outcome that would not seem like too little if we were lucky with injuries. Did not see a 9-0 start.

Hoping for 8-4 and a decent bowl. Loses to PU, PSU, Iowa and Becky.

No way did I expect Tanner to be as good as he is.

Coming into this season, I was hopeful for good things, figuring we'd go 8-4 (5-4) ahead of our bowl game. We had a lot of upperclassmen coming back. Other than Fresno State, our nonconference slate didn't look imposing. The schedule rotation meant we didn't have to face Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Indiana. The hardest Big Ten road games were at Iowa and Northwestern (the Wildcats are one of the biggest disappointments in the country) with Wisconsin, Penn State, and Nebraska (the Cornhuskers were supposed to have improved in 2019) coming here.

I said to a couple of friends and more casual Gopher fans that an 8-0 start wasn't out of the question, but added that it was unlikely since the Gophers would drop a couple of games along the way, perhaps Purdue, because road games against middling Big Ten teams often trip us up, and Nebraska. Regardless, we'd get a wake up call with the rough slate of games. Instead, we not only made it to 8-0, but now are 9-0 while looking better and better. I just hope the ride can continue. Let Saturday be the beginning, not the peak.

Top Bottom