Maestro Morgan

WestTexasGopher

Reaction score
Bleed (see the thread) posted a link and summary of a very nice article in the Penn-Live Patriot News (https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2019/11/on-a-landmark-day-for-its-program-minnesota-was-as-ready-as-it-could-be-penn-state-not-so-much.html). Thank you, David Jones, for you are accurate in your assessment and generous in your tone. It is Extremely complimentary. Gophers were "absolutely ready to play in every way – physically, emotionally and schematically". They have, according to Jones, the best WR corp in the Big Ten, perhaps country. The Gophers became "a force of nature". They are a team that needs "to be taken very seriously."

But, here's my favorite line-"Morgan was the maestro who conducted the Gophers’ orchestral maneuvers. And the Lions could not disturb him."

I hereby declare that from this point on we refer to Tanner Morgan by his new title, the one that David Jones bestowed upon him (Jones no hack, credentials a mile high including being the 74th president of the Football Writers Association of America in 2017)- Maestro Morgan. Or, we could just call him Maestro for short.

Last edited:

Morgan's performance was no joke, or should I say Elite! Best performance against a top 5 team in 20 years.

663977718e26705e692ee9778c6b7b47.jpg

Last edited:

He will need to be the man next week.

Morgan's performance was no joke, or should I say Elite! Best performance against a top 5 team in 20 years.
663977718e26705e692ee9778c6b7b47.jpg

I still have a hard time believing he wasn’t expected to be the starting QB this season, but I think it’s possible Burns was making assumptions based on “eye test,” or was fed some bad information.

People rip on his arm strength but forget everything else he does, not every guy can be 6-5 with a cannon arm. Give me the guy that is accurate as hell and has nice touch 100 out of a 100 times over the other guy. That's Tanner Morgan. That pass to TJ on the sideline was one of the best passes I have ever seen, literally drops it in the bucket so TJ could make a one hand grab. Awesome!

It was only the third most important game of the regular season, let's see what he can do against Iowa and Wisconsin.

People rip on his arm strength but forget everything else he does, not every guy can be 6-5 with a cannon arm. Give me the guy that is accurate as hell and has nice touch 100 out of a 100 times over the other guy. That's Tanner Morgan. That pass to TJ on the sideline was one of the best passes I have ever seen, literally drops it in the bucket so TJ could make a one hand grab. Awesome!

I caught this nugget in the Twitter feed. Tanner talking about working with a kinesiologist on form. The young man works to improve his craft and has great intangibles. The ceiling is high.

As the season has gone on I have heard less and less about his "weak arm" from whichever non-conf game that was where they kept making it sound like he could barely throw the ball 10 yards.

What is still truly amazing to me in all this is that prior to his injury it looked like Annexstad was going to win the QB job....as it sits right now I can't imagine anyone other than Morgan running the show but a part of me wonders what intangible they see/saw in Zach that kept giving him the edge over Tanner.

13-2 as a starter with 2 video game like stat lines from Big Ten play this year and the kid is only a redshirt sophomore, in theory the best is still to come for him which is scary to think about (in the best possible way) because he has been really really good to this point.

I still have a hard time believing he wasn’t expected to be the starting QB this season, but I think it’s possible Burns was making assumptions based on “eye test,” or was fed some bad information.
The notion he was not going to start is absurd. That kid can throw the ball. He is a massive reason for the Gophers success. If you were not convinced with the throw to win the game at Fresno and are not convinced after yesterday, you never will be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It sure is nice to have a QB that can put the ball where the WR’s can catch it instead of bouncing it off the turf.

Morgan has the mental toughness to not get raddled when the pressure is on. It sure helps to have excellent WR’s that will catch everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tanner is an impressive young man. Coming here without even visiting just to stay with Fleck. He is 1000% bought in. I love his maturity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom