***Official Gopher week 11 Rankings Thread***

Taji34

Reaction score
Alright, so the past few weeks have had a few different threads with the rankings so I figured I'd make a single official thread for them all.

Please only post actual rankings/reactions to actual rankings here, as there are other threads already posted for speculation. I will do my best to edit this top post with all the rankings posted here.

NATIONAL RANKINGS:

ESPN Power Rankings: 8
Paul Finebaum: 6
Sports Illustrated: 4
College Football News: 5
ESPN FPI: 19
Amway Coaches Poll: 7
FiveThirtyEight ELO: 11, 7th most likely to be in playoff after the top 4.
Sagarin: 18
AP Poll: 7
Wilson Ratings: 2
Kirk Herbstreit: 6
ESPN writers Hale and Rittenburg: 4
Brett McMurphy: 5
CBS Sports College Football Power rankings: 4
CFP Top 25: 8

BIG TEN RANKINGS:
Hawkeye Nation: 2
Detroit News: 2
Chicago Tribune: 2
ESPN Conference Ranking: 2

Last edited:

ESPN has us at 8:

8. Minnesota (9-0)

Yes, the Golden Gophers are for real. Minnesota stunned Penn State 31-26 at home, ending a 13-game losing streak to ranked opponents. It was the Gophers' first victory over a top-5 opponent in 20 years; they beat No. 2 Penn State 24-23 in Happy Valley in 1999. Consider these milestones: Minnesota is 9-0 for the first time since 1904, it has won 11 consecutive games for the first time since 1939-40, and it is 6-0 in Big Ten play for the first time since 1961. Quarterback Tanner Morgan threw for 339 yards with three touchdowns, and Rashod Bateman caught seven passes for 203 yards with one score. It was the sixth time Minnesota has won a game as an underdog under coach P.J. Fleck, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. He is only the ninth FBS coach in the past 40 seasons to have six victories as an underdog at one school. Only former Ohio State coach Urban Meyer (2012-18) and TCU's Gary Patterson (2004-05) have more, with seven. The Gophers have a two-game lead in the loss column of the Big Ten West with three games to play and seem to be on their way to their first Big Ten championship game.

Up next: at Iowa (Saturday, TBD)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28043552/college-football-power-rankings-week-11

Paul Finebaum has us at #6

Sagarin has us at #18 behind (4 loss Washington) (3 loss Iowa) and several (2 loss teams, Wisc, Michigan, Florida, Auburn, ND)

That's ESPN FPI ranking which is pretty much junk.

That's not their pick, it's just ESPN's FPI ratings.

Thanks for the correction both of you, I've corrected the OP.

Fivethirtyeight has us at 7 per their ELO model with a 9% chance of making the playoff.

FPI still hates us

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-college-football-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Sagarin has us at #18 behind (4 loss Washington) (3 loss Iowa) and several (2 loss teams, Wisc, Michigan, Florida, Auburn, ND)

Both added to the OP.

Good grief, Texas is back in the polls. That team is not a top 25 team.

Competitive losses to LSU and Oklahoma. Just the one off loss at TCU. Have won the rest, including this week over K-State which did beat Oklahoma.

Sagarin has NW about 15 spots ahead of South Dakota St. Anyone here think SDSU would lose to NW???

Sagarin also has 6 Big 12 teams in the Top 25??? LOL Yeah, sure.

I don’t trust Sagarin, seems way off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exciting! Can’t wait to get to 16 in the CFP!

I can't believe we're still behind Oregon. Both have 1 win against top 25 teams. Ours was against the #4/5 team in the country. Theirs was against the #25 team who is now out of the top 25. There is no good argument for putting them ahead of us.

When's the last time we were ranked in the AP Top 10?

Good to see people have finally gotten past the close calls in the non-conference.

Last night Urban Meyer talked about that a little. He went through each of those three games, and said at the time, he was like, “let’s just move on,” and didn’t consider the Gophers a contender in the West. He went on to say he watched some film of the team a few weeks ago, and started to change his tune, and he credited Fleck and the coaching staff for improvement throughout the season. He said that Penn State team is legit.

If the CFP committee merely looks just below the surface they should easily see their way to putting Gophs #6.

Top Bottom