Next Ranking

Northeastgopher

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am new to gopher hole but I have been a huge fan of the U for a long time. I was talking with buddy about where the gophers should be ranked in the next CFP rankings. I don’t see any reason why the gophers shouldn’t be top 6 at a minimum. We are 9-0 with a win against PSU who was highly regarded by the committee. Off the top of my head I can only think of LSU with a better win than us. Can someone fill me in where I should expect to see the team when the next rankings are out?

Hi all!

I am new to gopher hole but I have been a huge fan of the U for a long time. I was talking with buddy about where the gophers should be ranked in the next CFP rankings. I don’t see any reason why the gophers shouldn’t be too 6 at a minimum. We are 9-0 with a win against PSU who was highly regarded by the committee. Off the top of my head I can only think of LSU with a better win than us. Can someone fill me in where I should expect to see the team when the next rankings are out?

Welcome! I think we’ll still be treated with a measure of caution. Probably break the top 10. I’m thinking 7 but wouldn’t be surprised with 9 or 10.

RTB Ski-U-Mah

Gophers will be around 10. Better be ahead of Baylor.

It's really absurd because the CFP committee makes rules up as it goes, and Alabama really should have zero shot to make it at this point.
Bama has one more game against Auburn who isn't even top 10, so Bama will not have the level of win that we do RIGHT NOW even if they win out.
If Bama is above us in the next ranking, it really shows the BS factor.

Bama should drop behind most unbeatens at this point, but chances are CFP will keep them in striking range.

MN is currently ranked behind 5 SEC teams. 2 with 2 losses, and only 1 has a better win than we have over Penn State.

If MN doesn't leapfrog at least 2 of those SEC teams, you really have to wonder.
By any logical measure they should be in the top 6 with the PSU win as long as we are unbeaten.

It's really absurd because the CFP committee makes rules up as it goes, and Alabama really should have zero shot to make it at this point.
Bama has one more game against Auburn who isn't even top 10, so Bama will not have the level of win that we do RIGHT NOW even if they win out.
If Bama is above us in the next ranking, it really shows the BS factor.

Bama should drop behind most unbeatens at this point, but chances are CFP will keep them in striking range.

MN is currently ranked behind 5 SEC teams. 2 with 2 losses, and only 1 has a better win than we have over Penn State.

If MN doesn't leapfrog at least 2 of those SEC teams, you really have to wonder.
By any logical measure they should be in the top 6 with the PSU win as long as we are unbeaten.

We will skip by all 2 loss teams this week. You can no longer argue we haven't played anyone or won a big game. We'll be like 7 or 8th I'd guess. Beat Iowa next week and we'll be top 5. This was our hardest game left. Iowa will cause us trouble and it will be a close game. But I believe in this team and if we keep winning, the rankings will take care of themselves.

If we were say south Carolina (in the weaker side of their conference) at 9-0 with a win against top 4 rated alabama or LSU we would be a top 4 team because we would be in the SEC...but we're the gophers so 10 it will be with 5 one loss teams ahead of us

The committee seems to judge MN by what they think will happen. They expected us to lose, so they didn't want us too high to kill the hope for the PAC12 and Big12.
If they had PSU, OSU, and Minn all in the top 6-7, it would have been obvious an OK, Oregon, Etc., was already toast unless pure chaos occurs.

But crap, Minnesota beats PSU, and now what do you do. The same week Alabama loses at home. So how do you move PSU down 6 spots and keep Alabama within 3 spots of a CFP birth.

Yeh, and Florida, GA, and Auburn are all good and stuff, but they don't have top 10 wins and they have losses.

I think it plays out like so:
1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Oregon
6. Bama
7. Utah
8. Oklahoma (we are here if OU ends up losing to ISU)
9. GOLDEN GOPHERS
10. PSU or Florida

Personally, I put a P5 undefeated team with a top 5 win like us at minimum 7...but there’s no way they put us over the blue bloods even if our resume is just as strong or stronger

1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Oregon
6. Bama
7. Utah
9. GOLDEN GOPHERS
10. PSU or Florida

Personally, I put a P5 undefeated team with a top 5 win like us at minimum 7...but there’s no way they put us over the blue bloods even if our resume is just as strong or stronger

Compare our resume to Oregon at this point and explain what about Oregon is so good.

Compare our resume to Oregon at this point and explain what about Oregon is so good.

Exactly the point—it isn’t that good. Alabama and OK also not that good. Pre-season rankings and perception play too much of a role. My post is just what I think the rankings will be, not what I think is right.

Exactly the point—it isn’t that good. Alabama and OK also not that good. Pre-season rankings and perception play too much of a role. My post is just what I think the rankings will be, not what I think is right.

Right. I agree.

By any consistent rule the committee uses, they have to consider us now as a top 4-6 range team.
You can't go 9-0 in a 12 game season and have the 2nd best win of the season (Beating #4 PSU) in all of CFB and not consider that at this point. LSU is the only team with a better top quality win by beating Alabama at Alabama.
Oregon's best win is... USC (6-4)?
Utah is #8.
Their best win is... Arizona St (5-4)?

People are laughing at our 2nd best win of Illinois (also 6-4).

Most of the comments about Minnesota in that thread is that they should be ahead of Alabama and Georgia since they have the better win.

Those who speak of Minnesota say MN at #4.

Ha. I love this.

Hi all!

I am new to gopher hole but I have been a huge fan of the U for a long time. I was talking with buddy about where the gophers should be ranked in the next CFP rankings. I don’t see any reason why the gophers shouldn’t be top 6 at a minimum. We are 9-0 with a win against PSU who was highly regarded by the committee. Off the top of my head I can only think of LSU with a better win than us. Can someone fill me in where I should expect to see the team when the next rankings are out?

Hey! Nice to see another Northeaster and new gopherholer.

I'm going to guess we'll be 8. Although anything from 6-10 is possible. Anything above 6 would be shocking. Anything below 10 would be a complete scam job.

Most of the comments about Minnesota in that thread is that they should be ahead of Alabama and Georgia since they have the better win.

Those who speak of Minnesota say MN at #4.

You beat me to it. It Feels good! I read a few posters on GH say, if given a choice between Iowa and Psu, they’d rather beat Iowa and win the west. Why do some people not dream big?

The CFP is in a bit of a pickle this week because of our win.
Various teams are going to move down a spot despite winning because of us leapfrogging them.

We went from no wins to the second best win of all.
Now if we had a loss, then there would be more of a conversation, but on being 8-15. But with no losses, and the best win of any team except LSU, how do you put one-loss teams ahead of them?

Beating Auburn or Texas A&M doesn't carry the same weight anymore.

The CFP is in a bit of a pickle this week because of our win.
Various teams are going to move down a spot despite winning because of us leapfrogging them.

We went from no wins to the second best win of all.
Now if we had a loss, then there would be more of a conversation, but on being 8-15. But with no losses, and the best win of any team except LSU, how do you put one-loss teams ahead of them?

Beating Auburn or Texas A&M doesn't carry the same weight anymore.

CFP put themselves in a pickle when they ranked MN 17. Alabama hasn’t defeated a ranked team since 2018 I believe. It gets boring seeing the same teams every year in the CFP. They kept saying Mn hasn’t played anyone. Who tf has Alabama, Clemson, or Osu played? Osu does look legit though.

I'm watching San Diego State vs Nevada right now...one of the commentators just put the Gophers at #5...wow

Hey! Nice to see another Northeaster and new gopherholer.

I'm going to guess we'll be 8. Although anything from 6-10 is possible. Anything above 6 would be shocking. Anything below 10 would be a complete scam job.

If we are below Alabama and Georgia it'll be a scam job.

1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Oregon
6. Bama
7. Utah
9. GOLDEN GOPHERS
10. PSU or Florida

Still ridiculous. We got knocked for a bad schedule. Oregon may have only lost to Auburn.....but the Pac-12 is trash......so where is the trash being thrown at them? Which makes the Utah ranking even more ridiculous considering they lost to a terribly mediocre USC team. Now that we have the Penn State win....it crushes anything that either of these teams have done. And Oklahoma? Lost to Kansas State and had a very real shot to lose to Iowa State tonight. Time to jump this one loss pretender too.

All in all....as I was saying prior to the game.....the committee must be filled with a bunch of arrogant a$$holes. If they truly thought that the Gophers were a paper tiger, couldn't they have still ranked them higher and moved them down after losing to Penn State? Did they have to rank the Gophers so low....risking the possibility of an upset....and having their judgement look like crap? Now they have to eat $hit and make some significant changes to their rankings with regards to the Gophers. We took down the team that they thought was the fourth best team in the nation. Eat some humble pie, admit that you disrespected the Gophers, and fix it.

It’s crazy on that Herbstreit twitter thread that so many people from outside of MN are calling for us to #4. That is awesome. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this much love for the Gophers from non-MN residents. I rarely see this much love for the Gophers from our own damn residents.

We live in strange times my friends, very strange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calling it now (as much as it pains me to do), I expect both LSU and AL make CFP (along with Clemson and OSU). The Saban/Bama mystique is too rooted in the current playoff system determinations

Top Bottom