Penn Live: On a landmark day for its program, Minnesota was as ready as it could be

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Penn Live:

This was a game between a pair of unbeaten teams, neither of which we knew whether to quite take seriously. Well, we know of one now we need to take more seriously.

After one quarter of watching the Minnesota Golden Gophers in perhaps the biggest game they’ve played since the age of single-bar facemasks and cheerleaders in maxi-skirts, you knew they were absolutely ready to play in every way – physically, emotionally and schematically.

They had a plan that made a lot of sense, clearly crafted with both their attributes and liabilities in mind. They weren’t allowing a generational moment for their program and perhaps the most fervid crowd in Minnesota football history to jack them full of too much adrenaline.

Perhaps most important, their best players were playing at their best. And that’s pretty damn good.

Sum all the columns and it’s like this: Minnesota and Penn State both had two weeks to get ready for this game. One was as ready as any in the history of its program. The other seemed to allow larger aspirations to creep into their prep.

Now, the one that took care of business needs to be taken very seriously.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...dy-as-it-could-be-penn-state-not-so-much.html

Go Gophers!!

Generous and better than complaining about the refs considering the zebras missed a time clock expiration on one of their TD's.

Yup.

The Gophers were more physical, had a better game plan to utilize their strengths and overcome their weaknesses through great game planning. They beat a team that was loaded with four 5-Stars and 46 4-Stars.

Today, that didn't faze the Gophers.

"A connected team is a dangerous one" - PJ Fleck.

That entire article is worth a read. They were really complimentary to our squad.

Wow. What an article. Seriously.

Yeah, as good as any I've read in a TC paper about the Gophers. Wow.

It worked over and over because Morgan is not just quick-witted but a super-accurate passer with flawless mechanics. He looks like a young Brian Hoyer did at Michigan State – not overwhelming of talent, just ready to beat you if given the chance.

And it worked because the Gophers’ wideouts are the best in the Big Ten and as good a single receiver unit as any in college football. They were clearly too much for the Nittany Lion secondary, often getting such separation that Morgan could loft the ball into vacant areas and allow them to run to it. Sometimes, those were simply busted coverages. But more often, not. Penn State really didn’t have a defensive response until it was too late.

Morgan was the maestro who conducted the Gophers’ orchestral maneuvers. And the Lions could not disturb him.

As for any thoughts that slanted officiating had a real impact on this game, well, the calls evened out. Yes, Minnesota might have gotten away with pass interference on Winfield’s second interception of the day. And the offensive interference call that voided the Lions’ gain to the 2 in the final moments and sent them back to the 25 was so far away from the play as to probably be immaterial.

But Penn State also benefited from an ignored expired play clock – by a good second and a half – on Journey Brown’s 6-yard TD run with 3:49 to go that provided the final score. Had it been properly flagged, PSU faces a 3rd-and-7 from the 8, still 12 points down.

It is a really good read. I wish we had someone this good covering our team for one of the local papers.

It is a really good read. I wish we had someone this good covering our team for one of the local papers.

Yes - it actually was very astute and well-written. Sure wish Souhan or Reusse would have written it - that guy knows his football and he knows how to write.

Nice and fair. Told it like it truly was. Minnesota was better prepared, and didn't blame the refs.

Big props to this writer. As honest as any sports writer I’ve read out there. It’s hard to swallow the pride and not be bitter when writing about a game where your team loses. This guy did a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice and fair. Told it like it truly was. Minnesota was better prepared, and didn't blame the refs.

Great article, well-written and astute. It comes with the territory of a blue blood program, though.

Last edited:

I used to cover Penn St at my first newspaper job in a smaller Pennsylvania city. David Jones is the REAL deal. Been owning the Penn State beat for decades.

On another note, The Athletic has two very good pieces on the game - one featuring our very own BleedGopher!

Top Bottom