PSU Reaction

SuperSenior13

Reaction score
Anyone have a pulse on how the PSU fans are feeling / what they are saying after this one? Not sure what their primary message board is.

Anyone have a pulse on how the PSU fans are feeling / what they are saying after this one? Not sure what their primary message board is.
I read a little from one of their boards. Lots of complaining about their qb.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I'll let you know tomorrow. I spend about 30% of my time in Pittsburgh and will be flying to Pittsburgh tomorrow (likely with PSU fans). I also work with a bunch of them.

Going into the game, they were talking it up like it was a big game against a good team.

I believe it's the same board that went nuclear during the Sandusky scandal.

Some of what I have read.

1. Officiating sucked
2. PSU was overrated at 4
3. PSU will win out and meet the Gophers in the B1G championship game

Most of what I've read has been blaming their OC, their secondary, the QB, and of course the officials.

Very few willing to credit the Gophers, with most feeling PSU shot themselves in the foot and would crush us in a rematch.

Three Takeaways From Penn State’s Soul-Crushing Loss to Minnesota

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...-football-bsd-soul-crushing-loss-to-minnesota

Not much in here I disagree with. We are good, they "on paper" are more talented, the three interceptions all were avoidable (not going to call the interference on the second one blatant, but it could have gone either way) and their defense looked befuddled in the first half and just above average in the second half. On the other hand, the Gophers played a very good and talented team tough all day, made them earn it from endzone to endzone and came away the victor.

Again,who cares? I don't. On to Iowa.

With their secondary good luck against The Ohio State University.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems the PSU QB is getting quite a bit of heat. I thought he was alright. The first interception was a good read, single coverage with a receiver that had like a 5 inch advantage on Winfield. Winfield made an awesome play...the second interception was a bad read, but the receiver coward on the play when he saw Winfield coming, and he stopped his route (causing the contact that some think should have been PI, I would consider it incidental)...the WR could have broken that play up...3rd interception was a circumstance of the game situation, with it being 3rd and 24. You basically just gotta throw hail mary's at that point.

I thought Clifford was gritty, picking up some nice plays with his legs, and at other times hanging tough in the pocket. Kind of reminded me of a better Mitch Leidner. He's only a sophomore too. PSU is fine at QB. Sometimes you just gotta give the defense some credit, rather than dismissing the QB play.

Seems the PSU QB is getting quite a bit of heat. I thought he was alright. The first interception was a good read, single coverage with a receiver that had like a 5 inch advantage on Winfield. Winfield made an awesome play...the second interception was a bad read, but the receiver coward on the play when he saw Winfield coming, and he stopped his route (causing the contact that some think should have been PI, I would consider it incidental)...the WR could have broken that play up...3rd interception was a circumstance of the game situation, with it being 3rd and 24. You basically just gotta throw hail mary's at that point.

I thought Clifford was gritty, picking up some nice plays with his legs, and at other times hanging tough in the pocket. Kind of reminded me of a better Mitch Leidner. He's only a sophomore too. PSU is fine at QB. Sometimes you just gotta give the defense some credit, rather than dismissing the QB play.

I don't get the negativity towards Clifford from their fans either. He was gritty in the second half and made some big throws. The guy is clearly talented but he didn't seem to have as many weapons around him as Morgan did and that was the difference.

I've taken a lot of looks on Twitter at various Penn State related hashtags and terms as well as accounts and the mentions those accounts get. By and large, they Penn State fans are so upset with Franklin and the play calling that there is little time is being spent on the Gophers. There are a few giving the Gophers their due for the nice win. A few others don't see us on the same level as the Nittany Lions and can't believe they actually lost to us. Some have moved on to beating Indiana and then putting the pieces back together for beating Ohio State to get back in the Big Ten Championship Game and CFP picture. However, mostly the Penn State fans are ripping on their head coach, their OC, their QB, and the refs with the offensive pass interference call getting a lot of flack but no one seemingly interested in the fact that their last TD should never have counted.

I've taken a lot of looks on Twitter at various Penn State related hashtags and terms as well as accounts and the mentions those accounts get. By and large, they Penn State fans are so upset with Franklin and the play calling that there is little time is being spent on the Gophers. There are a few giving the Gophers their due for the nice win. A few others don't see us on the same level as the Nittany Lions and can't believe they actually lost to us. Some have moved on to beating Indiana and then putting the pieces back together for beating Ohio State to get back in the Big Ten Championship Game and CFP picture. However, mostly the Penn State fans are ripping on their head coach, their OC, their QB, and the refs with the offensive pass interference call getting a lot of flack but no one seemingly interested in the fact that their last TD should never have counted.

This was the theme with Nebraska and Purdue fans this year.

More bad game on them than us being a good team. If we maintain success it will be less of that in the future.

Yeah their QB played a decent game I thought. I'm not sure if it was the same TE all game or if there were a few but I was getting pretty perturbed up in section 201 seeing their big Ichabod Crane looking Tight Ends continuously having nice passes thrown to them where our DBs could not reach them.
Also I thought the Penn State OLine was really good. Their QB had lots of time most of the day, but the Gophers were busting @ss and got home at a few key times.

My little cousin is a sports journalist major at PSU, has gotten to sit in the press box for big games, and has been b1tching about Franklin for a while. Sent me a text after the game congratulating me about the Gopher win and to call Franklin a d1ckhead.

And Clifford was bad. He missed quite a few open receivers....whereas Morgan placed the ball on the mark basically everytime. He did make a few plays with his legs....but he was pretty inaccurate. Fair enough to say that our receivers are better overall than Penn State's. And it also helped that our dbacks are way better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, as far as I can tell,

1. Their coaches are hopelessly incompetent boobs, especially the OC and DC. Dismissals are overdue, particularly for the OC.
2. The gulf in talent between the two teams makes this loss unforgivable. The word “inferior” is getting used more than usual.
3. The referees screwed the Lions, as has happened too frequently since they joined the Big Ten. This is the same thing Nebraska fans often say, so you know it must be true. No mention of a certain play that began with 00 showing on the play clock but which was allowed to stand.

I would imagine they are giving appropriate kudos to the Gopher offense. They absolutely exposed the PSU defense all day.

On their end, understandable to be critical of Clifford - he wasn’t very good. That beast of a tight end is an incredible weapon and K.J. is as advertised. Clifford doesn’t have great accuracy or a great arm. I don’t know what he’s looked like in other games but came away very much unimpressed. His best attribute is probably his legs and the defense looked like they were specifically laying up and contaning him all game rather than trying to get upfield, daring him to throw.

PSU is a really good team with some incredible talent but our game plan and execution was better. Period. Yeah, maybe they’ll get another shot at us in Indianapolis.

As for the refs, given the ironic uproar in State College over such, seemed to me that the questionable calls (and non-calls) evened out for the most part. That offensive pass interference at the end, in particular, was blatant and intentional. The only surprising thing was that it was actually called. PSU got away with some blatant holds as well (I assume the Gophers did too). And it's not like PSU hasn't beaten the Gophers before on simply terrible calls. The irony of the complaining from the blue and white...

Most of what I've read has been blaming their OC, their secondary, the QB, and of course the officials.

Very few willing to credit the Gophers, with most feeling PSU shot themselves in the foot and would crush us in a rematch.

I don’t think they’d crush us but if we played them 10 times at TCF, I think PSU wins 7-8

Yeah, as far as I can tell,

1. Their coaches are hopelessly incompetent boobs, especially the OC and DC. Dismissals are overdue, particularly for the OC.
2. The gulf in talent between the two teams makes this loss unforgivable. The word “inferior” is getting used more than usual.
3. The referees screwed the Lions, as has happened too frequently since they joined the Big Ten. This is the same thing Nebraska fans often say, so you know it must be true. No mention of a certain play that began with 00 showing on the play clock but which was allowed to stand.

Maybe their OL coach could be an OL/OC but only call the running plays?

I don’t think they’d crush us but if we played them 10 times at TCF, I think PSU wins 7-8

I would say the opposite. It looked like we were ready to run away with it in the third quarter until one drive stalled with the 12 men penalty, and then we fumbled away great field position.

The ones I interacted with at the bars after the game some have said

“We almost got you guys!”
“Interference call at the end with BS” (the one that back them up to 25 yard line)
“Your QB was amazing!”
“The Stadium was awesome!”

Overall consensus were it was a great game but they were disappointed.

Loved seeing them with long faces!

I told them all that they can redeem themselves by beat OSU and plu us again in the big ten championship

I left MSP this morning. They weren’t a happy group at the airport.

People at the bars after we’re disappointed but felt it they were going to lose to someone this was a pretty cool and long overdue day for Minnesota

Top Bottom