PSU Reaction

I saw one comment that all three of our interceptions should have been PIs :clap:

Yeah, as far as I can tell,

1. Their coaches are hopelessly incompetent boobs, especially the OC and DC. Dismissals are overdue, particularly for the OC.
2. The gulf in talent between the two teams makes this loss unforgivable. The word “inferior” is getting used more than usual.
3. The referees screwed the Lions, as has happened too frequently since they joined the Big Ten. This is the same thing Nebraska fans often say, so you know it must be true. No mention of a certain play that began with 00 showing on the play clock but which was allowed to stand.

1. Just about every fan bases says this about their coaching staff after losses against teams they are favored against/ranked higher than. This really wasn’t a slight towards the Gophers, but more of coming to realization that their coaches haven’t brought them to the point they thought they were at.

2) Again, not so much a slight to the Gophers (although it sounds like one). Rather this is an acknowledgement that the reality of where they are is not as far along as they have been told by recruiting pundits and the CFP committee.

3) We all have seen this a thousand times before, losing fans blame the referees, it’s what they do. Geico could do a commercial on this.

In summary this puts their whole self image in a tailspin. They arn’t the #4 team in the nation. Further, for all the same reasons they thought they were superior to us, they recognize that OhSt is superior to them, and if they can’t beat us how are they going to beat OhSt.

Last edited:

Yeah, it must, but I wouldn’t know. The last time the Gophers were 8-1 was 1941.
At the risk of being a stickler for accuracy, we finished the season 8-0 in 1941 (as well as 1940)
I don’t know if the gophers have actually ever been 8-1 in any season. Would have to go back and look at some of those “turn of the century” teams in the early 1900’s.

Doesn’t matter anyway because we are not 8-1, but 9-0.

The sane Penn State fans did not think this was their playoff year. The ones I’ve talked to going into this game felt that they peaked too early and were nervous about this game.

I don’t think they’d crush us but if we played them 10 times at TCF, I think PSU wins 7-8

I think they were the more talented team. I would say neutral field 5-7 them, their house 6-8 them, our house 5-7 us. So slight advantage to them. First half we were the superior team, 2nd half we played to not lose for much of it and I HATE that, almost cost them the win. So maybe despite that they are more talented maybe the Gophers are the better team. I think if a couple of those PSU drops and picks don't happen it would have gone the other way. Woulda, shoulda, coulda...Gophers were better yesterday. No matter what it was the greatest game for me in my 40+ year history of Gopher fandom and I can't wait for the next one! Who Hates Iowa!!!

At the risk of being a stickler for accuracy, we finished the season 8-0 in 1941 (as well as 1940)
I don’t know if the gophers have actually ever been 8-1 in any season. Would have to go back and look at some of those “turn of the century” teams in the early 1900’s.

Doesn’t matter anyway because we are not 8-1, but 9-0.

My big mistake - we were 8-1 in 1960 and ended the year 8-2 after losing the Rose Bowl to Washington

I think they were the more talented team. I would say neutral field 5-7 them, their house 6-8 them, our house 5-7 us. So slight advantage to them. First half we were the superior team, 2nd half we played to not lose for much of it and I HATE that, almost cost them the win. So maybe despite that they are more talented maybe the Gophers are the better team. I think if a couple of those PSU drops and picks don't happen it would have gone the other way. Woulda, shoulda, coulda...Gophers were better yesterday. No matter what it was the greatest game for me in my 40+ year history of Gopher fandom and I can't wait for the next one! Who Hates Iowa!!!

We have played in four really close games this year and won them all. Had we not "played to not lose" would we have won? We might very well be writing today about the "dumb pass that cost us the game". "When you throw the ball only three things can happen and two of them are bad."

We have played in four really close games this year and won them all. Had we not "played to not lose" would we have won? We might very well be writing today about the "dumb pass that cost us the game". "When you throw the ball only three things can happen and two of them are bad."

Yeah that’s the conventional wisdom. But that assumes a) our defense is playing well and b) we have a larger lead. It worked out in the end but don’t kid yourself - that was a damn close call. Tanner has been money all season long and was very much on his game/accuracy yesterday. The guys convert one more set of downs at some point in the 4th quarter we walk away without breaking a sweat. Thinking back and they may have attempted a pass that resulted in a sack at some point...so it is what it is. PSU stepped up late in the game. Closer than it seemed.

Last edited:

I didn't see a talent disparity at all yesterday at the stadium. I would say Penn State has an advantage in the defensive front and kicking, but that's about it. To me, it looked like Minnesota's QB, WR, RB, and DBs were superior and not even that close. OL might be a push - tough to know but Minny's O-line performed well in pass protection yesterday but got stymied in the run when PSU filled the box. Minnesota's D line got pressure at times but was largely keeping gap control because of PSU's running QB.

The melt down at PSU is pretty amazing. They're still 8-1, yet a lot of the posts are saying they've got to dump Franklin as their coach. They're blaming him and the refs, but not a single mention on the entire thread of the one call that was completely missed, the delay of game penalty that should have happened on their touchdown.

The melt down at PSU is pretty amazing. They're still 8-1, yet a lot of the posts are saying they've got to dump Franklin as their coach. They're blaming him and the refs, but not a single mention on the entire thread of the one call that was completely missed, the delay of game penalty that should have happened on their touchdown.

The funny thing is, many Bama fans are saying the same thing about Saban. Let that sink in.

Top Bottom