Six Offensive Lineman Look

hungan1

Reaction score
Am I seeing things? It seems like the Gophers were using six Offensive Linemen in their obvious pass protection scheme (sometimes seven with a TE, and then the RB/FB as an extra blocker).

Yet, Penn State could not stop the Gophers passing game. My question is, why didn't the Gophers use it more instead of playing a bit conservative by using more running plays in the second half especially the Fourth Quarter?

It is effective because they formed a fortress around Tanner Morgan, and he throws those accurate missiles very quickly the Penn State Defense did not have time to react.

This is just my observation. Did anybody see it this way too?

IMHO, that's the reason the Gophers RPO Offense is so lethal with Tanner's ability read defenses and change plays when he recognizes the Defensive formation.

Now, I can see the reason behind the high scoring offense. Call me slow to comprehend I don't care. I like the results.

Last edited:

Am I seeing things? It seems like the Gophers were using six Offensive Linemen in their obvious pass protection scheme (sometimes seven with a TE, and then the RB/FB as an extra blocker).

Yet, Penn State could not stop the Gophers passing game. My question is, why didn't the Gophers use it more instead of playing a bit conservative by using more running plays in the second half especially the Fourth Quarter?

It is effective because they formed a fortress around Tanner Morgan, and he throws those accurate missiles very quickly the Penn State Defense did not have time to react.

This is just my observation. Did anybody see it this way too?

IMHO, that's the reason the Gophers RPO Offense is so lethal with Tanner's ability read defenses and change plays when he recognizes the Defensive formation.

Know I can see the reason behind the high scoring offense. Call me slow to comprehend I don't care. I like the results.

They did this quite a bit against WI last year too.

That Bubble Screen to Chris Autman-Bell for a TD was a sure thing of beauty.

They did use that look quite a bit today and both ran and passed out of it, depending upon what the defense gave them.

At one point we had 7....but the refs saw it too....

The Gophers RPO scheme with Tanner Morgan under center behind one of the biggest Offensive Lines in college and pro football is tough on defenses. That includes the talent laden Penn State!

IMG Academy - please sent us more of your behemoths.

We have a different angle of Tyler’s TD catch in this Twitter video. It’s stunning in more ways than one. The Gophers overcompensated for their elite pass rush by using 8 in protection against 5. Penn Penn state had 6 in coverage against two receivers (Johnson and Bateman). Two of them were guarding against the slant, and one deep Safety was shading toward Bateman. They even dropped a LB in coverage, even though there were only two receivers on the field, and there was nobody for him to cover. It was likely more overcompensation for a potential slant route. That left one corner on an island with Johnson. They were daring Morgan to throw an accurate deep ball. The coverage was good, and it took a perfect throw and catch.

https://twitter.com/minnesotaonbtn/status/1193638476845060096?s=21

Great game plan and execution. The teams WR talent is so elite they can get open even when outmanned.

Great game plan and execution. The teams WR talent is so elite they can get open even when outmanned.

What’s cool about that play was both sides took such extreme measures to try to eliminate their opponent’s strength...Gophers with 8 in protection and PSU with 6 players covering two receivers. On paper, that coverage PSU used on that play should have worked, but the Gophers just executed better.

What’s cool about that play was both sides took such extreme measures to try to eliminate their opponent’s strength...Gophers with 8 in protection and PSU with 6 players covering two receivers. On paper, that coverage PSU used on that play should have worked, but the Gophers just executed better.

Really amazing as I would think that in theory PSU’s approach would win this battle considering the approaches.

We have a different angle of Tyler’s TD catch in this Twitter video. It’s stunning in more ways than one. The Gophers overcompensated for their elite pass rush by using 8 in protection against 5. Penn Penn state had 6 in coverage against two receivers (Johnson and Bateman). Two of them were guarding against the slant, and one deep Safety was shading toward Bateman. They even dropped a LB in coverage, even though there were only two receivers on the field, and there was nobody for him to cover. It was likely more overcompensation for a potential slant route. That left one corner on an island with Johnson. They were daring Morgan to throw an accurate deep ball. The coverage was good, and it took a perfect throw and catch.

Dude, elite breakdown...thanks for sharing that.

Morgan makes NFL throws weekly. He's accurate, smart, and knows his WRs are good enough to make a play on the ball when they "appear" to be guarded. It's a thing of beauty.

Yeah, PSU did everything right on that one.

It shows you how great that game was, that play isn't getting a ton of discussion. It was a perfect pass and an incredible catch.

Top Bottom