Sid: It’s one of the greatest victories in program history.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

I have covered Gophers football for 75 years, and I have never seen a display like I saw after P.J. Fleck’s 17th-ranked squad defeated No. 4 Penn State 31-26 on Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

It’s one of the greatest victories in program history.

Bowl representatives from both the Orange Bowl and the Citrus Bowl were at the game and they told me the Gophers are a top candidate to play in either of those stellar games.

Fleck told me during the week that the game was going to come down to which team limited mistakes. The fact that the game was decided on a an interception by Jordan Howden in the end zone — with Penn State driving with a chance to win — showed that the Gophers coach was right.

The Gophers won the turnover battle 3-1, and that made all the difference in a game that saw Penn State total 518 yards of offense.

“We knew we had to be able to play our style of football,” Fleck said. “There was nothing different about it. It had to be us. We didn’t have to do anything different, we just had to be able to do it better than we did the week before. I know that sounds cliché and coach-speak and gimmicky, but at the end of the day it’s really not — it’s how you win football games.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-put-together-a-historic-performance-vs-penn-state/564712901/

Go Gophers!!

Speaking of Bowls, I have to think as long as we win the west that the orange bowl should be our floor.

per Sid:

I have covered Gophers football for 75 years, and I have never seen a display like I saw after P.J. Fleck’s 17th-ranked squad defeated No. 4 Penn State 31-26 on Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

It’s one of the greatest victories in program history.

Bowl representatives from both the Orange Bowl and the Citrus Bowl were at the game and they told me the Gophers are a top candidate to play in either of those stellar games.

Fleck told me during the week that the game was going to come down to which team limited mistakes. The fact that the game was decided on a an interception by Jordan Howden in the end zone — with Penn State driving with a chance to win — showed that the Gophers coach was right.

The Gophers won the turnover battle 3-1, and that made all the difference in a game that saw Penn State total 518 yards of offense.

“We knew we had to be able to play our style of football,” Fleck said. “There was nothing different about it. It had to be us. We didn’t have to do anything different, we just had to be able to do it better than we did the week before. I know that sounds cliché and coach-speak and gimmicky, but at the end of the day it’s really not — it’s how you win football games.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-put-together-a-historic-performance-vs-penn-state/564712901/

Go Gophers!!

Thank you. For your perspective, which is unlike anyone else's. Thank you, also, for telling it like it is.

Within a few days — or maybe a few hours — the rest of the Twin Cities sports media will be trying to find subtle ways to pee all over this moment.

Not you, Sid.

Sid: I salute you.

You're a guy who may have actually known Bernie Bierman, and yet you're still covering the Gophers in 2019. That's simply unparalleled in sports history.

Keep on keeping' on, Sid. We need a guy like you.

Last edited:

Thank you. For your perspective, which is unlike anyone else's. Thank you, also, for telling it like it is.

Within a few days — or maybe a few hours — the rest of the Twin Cities sports media will be trying to find subtle ways to pee all over this moment.

Not you, Sid.

You're a guy who may have actually known Bernie Bierman, and yet you're still covering the Gophers in 2019. That's simply unparalleled in sports history.

+10,000

Sid was middle-aged the last time we went to Pasadena.

Sid is a national treasure. Sid is unique. There will never, ever, be another person remotely like him.

If you're a Minnesota sports fan — especially a Gopher fan — please do yourself a favor and take a moment now and again to appreciate Sid.

He's not a saint. He's not everyone's cup of tea.

But there's never been the like before, and there never will be the like again.

I waited on him a few times, back in the day, when I was a high school kid working as a waiter at the old Decathlon Athletic Club. He was a member there. He had John Wooden in one time, and I served them.

I tell the story now, and it seems like a dream. Did I really serve John Wooden lunch? The Wizard of Westwood?

Wow.

Not you, Sid.

Nope. But, it took only hours for you to start searching for ways to get offended. Just enjoy the moment and the emergence of MN onto the national scene. The enormity of this win can not be overstated. El Sid may yet witness one more Rose Bowl...or even more. How cool would that be?

Nope. But, it took only hours for you to start searching for ways to get offended. Just enjoy the moment and the emergence of MN onto the national scene. The enormity of this win can not be overstated. El Sid may yet witness one more Rose Bowl...or even more. How cool would that be?

Thanks for the sage advice. I think I will, in fact, enjoy it.

And you keep carrying your torch for the local sports media!

Last edited:

There was a thread about who should fire the crowd up between the 3rd 4th quarters. Sid seems to fit the bill.

There was a thread about who should fire the crowd up between the 3rd 4th quarters. Sid seems to fit the bill.

Not Dan Barriero? Not 'Meat Sauce'? Not 'The Common Man'?

How about...

Oh, never mind.

Second time in Sid’s life gophers start 9-0. :)

Happy for Sid, glad he is still around for this season.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Wouldn't winning the West make us a lock for the Rose Bowl, since we've now taken down the other main candidate in that scenario?

Sid has been very supportive of Coach since he's gotten here, very vocal on his show about him. Glad at least one in the media has been for him.

Top Bottom