Limegrover: P.J. has done a phenomenal job of saying this is something built to last

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Lewis Town Sentinel (this was written before today's game):

“As with any fan base, and probably speaking more to the former players, the guys I coached and were there, they’re just so desperate for something really good to happen,” Limegrover was telling reporters on Thursday. “I think 1969 (actually 1967) is the last time they won the Big Ten and (in past years) the talk of the idea of going to the Rose Bowl or a New Year’s Day bowl, it was always, ‘That isn’t for us anymore — (or) our time has come and gone,’ and people have the feeling of ‘when’s the other shoe’s going to drop?'”

He was referring to 2014 when, coached by Limegrover colleague Jerry Kill, the Gophers started strong at 6-1 (beat Michigan) and were still in the Big Ten West race at 8-3 when Wisconsin came calling.

“We might have a chance if we beat them and some other things happened to win the Big Ten West, but we also knew we were kind of outclassed,” he said. “That’s kind of been Minnesota’s recent past.”

The Gophers lost two of their last three regular season games (Ohio State, Wisconsin) and wound up in the Citrus Bowl and lost to Missouri, finishing 8-5.

Just twice since 2000 have the Gophers lost fewer than five games — 2014 when they went 9-4 and 10-3 in 2003, Glen Mason’s best year.

Limegrover thinks the Gophers’ culture is changing under P.J. Fleck. The two coached together at Northern Illinois, under Kill.

He’s 20-13 in his third year with Minnesota after a successful tenure at Western Michigan.

“P.J. has done a phenomenal job of saying this is something that is built to last, (that) this is not catching lightning in a bottle,” Limegrover said. “This isn’t like some other Big Ten teams that win every four-five years and fall back into oblivion. I think they really believe they can beat anybody in the country, and that’s powerful. I think they have that right now, and James (Franklin) has built that here.”

https://www.lewistownsentinel.com/sports/penn-state/2019/11/limegrover-knows-the-other-shoe/

Go Gophers!!

Nice honest comments from Limegrover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading these quotes — from a former Gopher assistant, no less — is really shocking.

The "settler" mentality ran deep. It is being changed now, but it's not easy to change it.

That is a shot at Claeys.

Did you read it?

"He was referring to 2014 when, coached by Limegrover colleague Jerry Kill, the Gophers started strong at 6-1 (beat Michigan) and were still in the Big Ten West race at 8-3 when Wisconsin came calling.

“We might have a chance if we beat them and some other things happened to win the Big Ten West, but we also knew we were kind of outclassed,” he said. “That’s kind of been Minnesota’s recent past.”"

I don't think it was a shot at Claeys. That team was coached by Kill.

I think you missed the point, by a mile.

Did you read it?

"He was referring to 2014 when, coached by Limegrover colleague Jerry Kill, the Gophers started strong at 6-1 (beat Michigan) and were still in the Big Ten West race at 8-3 when Wisconsin came calling.

“We might have a chance if we beat them and some other things happened to win the Big Ten West, but we also knew we were kind of outclassed,” he said. “That’s kind of been Minnesota’s recent past.”"

I don't think it was a shot at Claeys. That team was coached by Kill.

I think you missed the point, by a mile.

You can think that. I think otherwise Mrs. Claeys. I remember your son kept pointing out all of the advantages of the other teams. I think that is what his former peer was alluding to when he said, “ This isn’t like some other Big Ten teams that win every four-five years and fall back into oblivion”.

You can think that. I think otherwise Mrs. Claeys. I remember your son kept pointing out all of the advantages of the other teams. I think that is what his former peer was alluding to when he said, “ This isn’t like some other Big Ten teams that win every four-five years and fall back into oblivion”.

I think he meant exactly what he said.

Never much enjoyed his offenses but beyond that I don't know/ think anything bad about Limegrover.

Top Bottom