***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA VS MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Hard to watch at times. Gabe must believe he needs to be alone on the court to take the shot. As does Demir. I saw countless times players were passed the ball and the ball was given back to Carr like a hot potato. Our offense was passing the ball around the perimeter. Finally Oturu was left to shoot at the top of the key because no one else would take the shot. I hope Patino learns what doesn't work. They were not aggressive in the second. four guards and no one slash to the rim except Carr. The offense looked like what the Wolves are trying to do, except our shooters were rather timid.

Gabe is finding out that shots are tougher without defenders keeping an eye out for coffey

LOL, Pitino still giving up huge second half runs; what was last night 22-4? He had no counter to defensive changes by Lon Krueger. We really are #11 in B10 from what I've seen early.

In the second half we did allow more easy baskets, but OU also started shooting lights out from 3 and the Gophers couldn't buy a bucket. Once they learn how to fight through those runs as a team we will begin to have more success. It would have been nice to win this game for sure, but I still have faith with these players and their ability to get better. Ihnen also most definitely needs to get healthy, this lingering wrist injury is very strange...

Putrid free throw shooting will continue to lose games for us...

Putrid free throw shooting will continue to lose games for us...

Yup. When Carr missed them repeatedly I thought they would lose. Mn was in the bonus with over 10 minutes remaining.

We will lose 95% of the time we give up 45+ points in the second half. That grades out as horrible defense.

We will lose 95% of the time we give up 45+ points in the second half. That grades out as horrible defense.

Same defense as the first half... what changed...maybe other team made the kind of shots they missed in the first half

There are some very talented players on this team, but only one of them is a consistent presence inside the paint. There is a glaring lack of size under the rim with this current roster. They'll be hyper competitive against smaller teams, but will get destroyed by teams with capable 4-5's.

Same defense as the first half... what changed...maybe other team made the kind of shots they missed in the first half

Way better close outs in the first half, lower stance, better gap help. Jeter will grade that defense as garbage.

We made more FG's and 3 pt FG's but got killed at the line, that did ultimately cost them the game. OU hit 12 more ft's and we lost by 9.

Correct

Mn missed many ft when in the lead. Changed the game. Changed the confidence in the players.

I am going to resist the temptation to make too many declarations after my first viewing of the team. With the benefit of knowing how the game ended, the stretch at 51-48 Gophers was absolutely huge. You had the Gophers miss thre front end of two one and one's with Gabe picking up his 4th foul on the second of the two. The next possession, Daniel Oturu had a wide open 3 from the top of the key go in and out. There was strong potential there to be up 58-48 and Gabe still having 3 fouls instead of 4. Instead the game is still 51-48 and Oklahoma would soon take the lead and never give it back.

As for the defense, I agree with builtbadgers that they gave up far too many second half points. That said, Oklahoma hit two really tough (bad) mid range shots and at least 2 really well contested 3's while Minnesota simply didn't make anything you'd consider a difficult attempt in the entire second half. An argument can certainly be made that Oklahoma made those shots because of the confidence gained by making the easier shots that some of the poorer defensive possessions allowed so I am not absolving the Gophers of blame just thought it was worth noting.

I was really impressed with Oturu as he looked like the best player on the floor by a wide margin and it was disappointing we didn't find a way to exploit that a bit more (obviously hitting more from the perimter may have been key to getting him room to work down low).

I am going to resist the temptation to make too many declarations after my first viewing of the team. With the benefit of knowing how the game ended, the stretch at 51-48 Gophers was absolutely huge. You had the Gophers miss thre front end of two one and one's with Gabe picking up his 4th foul on the second of the two. The next possession, Daniel Oturu had a wide open 3 from the top of the key go in and out. There was strong potential there to be up 58-48 and Gabe still having 3 fouls instead of 4. Instead the game is still 51-48 and Oklahoma would soon take the lead and never give it back.

As for the defense, I agree with builtbadgers that they gave up far too many second half points. That said, Oklahoma hit two really tough (bad) mid range shots and at least 2 really well contested 3's while Minnesota simply didn't make anything you'd consider a difficult attempt in the entire second half. An argument can certainly be made that Oklahoma made those shots because of the confidence gained by making the easier shots that some of the poorer defensive possessions allowed so I am not absolving the Gophers of blame just thought it was worth noting.

I was really impressed with Oturu as he looked like the best player on the floor by a wide margin and it was disappointing we didn't find a way to exploit that a bit more (obviously hitting more from the perimter may have been key to getting him room to work down low).

As hard as it is to take a lose, it is nice to see some positive aspects. With growth, hopefully we learn to keep up the defensive intensity for the whole game and gain the confidence to make those shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oturu needs to touch the ball in the lane on a lot more possessions than he does. I like how he has gotten better at both shooting and passing. He will get the other guys better shots if they are patient enough to get it into him. I like that our guys have freedom and they should shoot the open shot at any point. However, working it inside is going to get them better looks and reduce the possibility of offensive droughts.

Oturu needs to touch the ball in the lane on a lot more possessions than he does. I like how he has gotten better at both shooting and passing. He will get the other guys better shots if they are patient enough to get it into him. I like that our guys have freedom and they should shoot the open shot at any point. However, working it inside is going to get them better looks and reduce the possibility of offensive droughts.

He is better at passing but needs better awareness finding open guys once the double team comes more often. He will be seeing far more double teams this year, if not nearly everytime he touches the ball, would love to see him make the defense pay each time they do that. Pitino especially needs to find a way to take better advantage of that knowing it will come so we can turn it into easy buckets.

Top Bottom