What Was it Like at the Stadium?

My friends and I were tailgating at the Victory lot. Once we got just outside the stadium, it just felt different than any other TCF game I've ever been to (Gophers and Vikings). When I finally got inside, the buzz was crazy. But it didn't seem like a nervous buzz. The fans were READY to make noise and celebrate, almost like people were not going to allow another heartbreak this time. It was truly a different atmosphere than I've ever been a part of. Like many have said, my section didn't sit once. It was so loud, my friends and I couldn't hear the band/rouser until the crowd started with the M... all day. When the game was sealed with the interception, I felt like I couldn't move. Instead of going on the field, I got right up to the edge of the upper deck to watch the field get flooded with fans. I couldn't stop tearing up. I called my dad. We screamed, and then we were speechless. Unbelievable day.

My friends and I were tailgating at the Victory lot. Once we got just outside the stadium, it just felt different than any other TCF game I've ever been to (Gophers and Vikings). When I finally got inside, the buzz was crazy. But it didn't seem like a nervous buzz. The fans were READY to make noise and celebrate, almost like people were not going to allow another heartbreak this time. It was truly a different atmosphere than I've ever been a part of. Like many have said, my section didn't sit once. It was so loud, my friends and I couldn't hear the band/rouser until the crowd started with the M... all day. When the game was sealed with the interception, I felt like I couldn't move. Instead of going on the field, I got right up to the edge of the upper deck to watch the field get flooded with fans. I couldn't stop tearing up. I called my dad. We screamed, and then we were speechless. Unbelievable day.

We got to the stadium pretty early from the fairgrounds and, you're 100% right, the buzz around the stadium was crazy. I mentioned it several times to my group. We entered the stadium about 10:00 to get a beer and walk around. There were a lot of people in the stadium already. The seats were pretty full 15 minutes before kickoff and that was awesome to see.

I thought for sure the excitement would die down a little after the 1st quarter or so but it never did. Everyone was in the game from start to finish. Most of the stadium stood the whole game.

Best game I've ever attended in any sport. So proud to be a Gopher fan. no one sat the entire game.
I've never rushed the field before so I made sure I did.
Just an absolute great experience.
I really hope this is how all of our games can be.
P.J. always talks about 'changing culture', well he really has.

I finally now just read through all of this thread. It brought me right back. Best spectator experience I have ever had at a sporting event. The intensity and electricity, along with the undivided attention on the game action reminded me of fond memories I have from the 80's when there were only two basketball classes and the class A district and regional tourneys would have crowd roars that you could feel in your body core, except this was 51,000 people in a football stadium - not 3.5K in a basketball arena.

You could definitely feel something was in the air. Nobody had to say/explain it. We got to our seats a full 25 minutes earlier than we usually do and it felt like we were the last ones.

I have complained a lot about how this fan base doesn't "get it" and doesn't understand college football or how special it is. I have whined about how this being a pro market has messed with people's opinions. But for at least this one day, I was completely wrong. All the unfamiliar people in the stadium seemed like they had all been to every game and it meant a lot to each and every one of them.

Yeah the lead up to the game was .... we all knew some serious **** could go down and were ready.

The team starting strong really sealed the deal as far as the fans go IMO. If they didn't start hot folks would have sat down.

They never gave the team a reason to sit down.

First time poster, long-time reader of all things Gophers related news, insight, and general pulse of the program. First off, never ever under any circumstances for any reason play a game at US Bank Stadium (seen that idea float around in places). Second, while watching and soaking in the atmosphere following the game, I glanced over at the Big Ten and National Championship years that we’ve all looked at so many times since TCF Bank Stadium was built. It occurred to me that over the course of a few hours on a beautiful November day, those numbers changed, for me, from being a reminder of what Gophers Football “used to be” to a statement of what Gophers Football “is”.

The stadium vibe was so... happy? Loud and happy?

Honestly didn't realize how cool of an experience it was going to be until I got in there and looked around at the full stadium.

It was the first time it felt like a big time, home advantage, college football atmosphere and it is completely addicting to be a part of that.

Top Bottom