What Was it Like at the Stadium?

Love this video by Chris Long.

OMFG, that sends chills right up my spine. That right there is the greatest thing I've ever seen with respect to Gopher football. After all of these years, the program finally got there. Crowd totally into it, livid, and we clearly have now found our own tradition (that is seriously as cool as Jump Around @ UW and some of the stuff the Penn State student section does, for real). I never thought I'd see this day. And keep in mind, all of this was BEFORE the game.

Man, there is some real momentum in this program. First time in my life that I see the Gopher football team as a true potential power; and that includes all of the doorstep-promise of the Mason years. Row the Boat!!!

My son is in 6th grade and it has been a few years since he went to a game with me. Partly due to his soccer games in the fall, but partly because his last memories of games were not exciting enough for him. He always felt like the games were too long, too boring, etc.

We went yesterday and he was still talking this morning about how much fun the game was. He said he couldn't believe how fast it seemed to go. We were in 114 and stood the entire game.

From my perspective (I'm in my mid-40's), it was the most exciting sporting event I've been to in-person (I'll still put the 2002 Hockey National Championship game as the most exciting game I've watched, but I wasn't there in-person). From the moment we got to our seats I could tell something was different about the atmosphere. That didn't change through the whole game and storming the field at the end was the icing on the cake.

This is awesome.

I flew back into town for the game and sat with my buddies from college (two of which also flew in for the game). I met up with my dad on the field after the game. It was a great moment for us.

When I was your son's age, he was bringing me to games in the Metrodome and the one that finally hooked me was Tyrone Carter against Syracuse.

That Mini-P.J. Fleck kid was awesome and sure got a lot of airtime. Very funny.

Who says we can't have a great program and great fan support?! Because we're in a huge metro area?! Is it our fault that MOST universities back in the day were set up in smaller ag towns?! Gophers can be a Big Boy...just give us HOPE. Norman, Oklahoma may have been a prairie town back in the day, but it's just a suburb of Oklahoma City, a very big metro area, today.

Man, I wish I could have been there! I had to be in Boise this weekend so I took in a Boise State game. I wore my Gopher gear at the stadium. It was AMAZING how many congratulations I got from BSU fans. In concourses, restrooms, walking up and down stairs, everywhere. Once, as I was walking up to my seat in the upper deck, a group of fairly young guys noticed my Gopher hat. They yelled out congratulations, and all started “rowing the boat” motions with their arms. I thought to myself, is this really happening?! Did that really happen in Minneapolis? Yes! Man, I wish I could have been there, but what a rush to have so many complete strangers happy for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so happy we started doing this. I don't remember exactly when it happened, but I believe it was early last season. Never seen a video of it from an outside perspective until this one. Absolute chills, and an absolute blast to be a part of.

When Barber went down late in the 4th, a "Let's go Gophers" cheer caught on stadium wide. It didn't start in the student section; it sounded like it started near the PSU fan corner. After it ended, I realized how/where it started, relished in the stadium wide participation and thought this time.....things would end the way we've always dreamed!

PS...I was home side, mid-field and had no idea a PSU band was there.

https://gigapixel.panoramas.com/minnesota/football/20191109/

Oh, they are there! (all 3 of them) Zoom in on Section 202. I think they had a tuba, drum and trumpet. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, they were drowned out by the Gopher crowd and the HUGE speaker blaring out music from the side of the scoreboard!

Best football environment I've ever been at. Was really awesome.

What is the music from that they use before the players run onto the field? (where all the students are swaying)

What is the music from that they use before the players run onto the field? (where all the students are swaying)

Guitar riff is Killing Strangers by Marilyn Manson.

Was their with my son, daughter-in-law and a friend. Yes, I cried, not ashamed! And special thanks to my son for catching me going over the wall, no broken bones.

Okay....I’ll chime in. Our family had Viking season tickets growing up. I went to games at the Met and also several years at the dome. When I was married, my wife and I bought season tickets to the Vikings in the mid 90’s through 2005. I didn’t go to the U, but growing up in the 70’s and 80’s I was probably Vikings first....with the Twins, Gophers basketball and football just behind them. I still like the Vikings, but something changed for me in the early 2000’s with regards to professional sports.

Over the years, I’ve been to Twins playoff games during the 87 and 91 seasons. I’ve been to many incredible Viking games including the 98 NFC championship game. I stood by the first tee the Friday morning before matches at the Ryder Cup. I’ve been to many Gopher games at Williams Arena including the 1976 game against Indiana, late 80’s games against Iowa (we drove up from Luther and sat in obstructed view seats) and several Big 10 games Bobby Jackson played in. The energy at yesterday’s game doesn’t have to take a back seat to any of those events. Had the Vikings beaten the Falcons maybe that would have been bigger, but they didn’t. Every time I looked over at the student section, they were awesome. The stadium was electric....and I’m so glad I went.

The whole experience was great....from picking some students at the East Bank and having them sing “we ready, we ready, we ready...for y’all” to some Penn State fans to the field rush at the end of the game.

The only thing that could be better would be if they would play that video that Ryan Burns plays after the Gophers win each week to get us in the mood.

Best Gopher crowd I've ever witnessed

+1 - I stood all but maybe two minutes? of the game and heard no complaints! Everyone around me cheered on EVERY defensive down prior to snap.The crowd was engaged from whistle to whistle! Everyone was hugging each other on the second kneel down to end the game. Hugs all around! Nobody wanted to leave!

Awesome is an understatement!

nystrom was great and getting a good bunch of the 99 team out on the field during one of the breaks was cool

Yes! and playing 1999 by Prince during the final moments of the game was perfect!

I was one of the old guys with tears in my eyes. Stood the entire game. Yelled on every play. Absolutely exhausted after. Was impressed with how the crowd would quiet down when our offense was calling plays. And like an earlier poster said, credit to PSU for never jumping off sides with how loud it was when they were on offense.

Best crowd/experience as a ticket holder...adult or student

Commented to my buddy in 114 we could feel the cement shaking. Hadn't experienced that at TCF prior.

Everyone was there early...stayed loud EVERY play...stayed until the end

Stood the whole game.

I was one of the old guys with tears in my eyes. Stood the entire game. Yelled on every play. Absolutely exhausted after. Was impressed with how the crowd would quiet down when our offense was calling plays. And like an earlier poster said, credit to PSU for never jumping off sides with how loud it was when they were on offense.

Same with me. I was calm at the beginning thinking we've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. As it went on the nerves were taking over. It was exhausting for this old guy too. Even a Penn State fan said to me this was a once in a lifetime event.

Best crowd of any game I've ever been to.

Yep. I’ve been to meaningful games at LSU, Ohio State, and Georgia and this topped them all for atmosphere. We obviously don’t have as many seats as those places, but a lot of it was the very real sense of “this is finally our day” that filled the stadium.

I saw a lot of old timers with tears in their eyes. A beautiful sight.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started going to Gopher games in the Billy Bye, Leo Nomellini, Bud Grant era. Then Paul Giel and Bob McNamara & Bobby Cox. Then Sandy Stephens, Tom Brown, Bobby Bell and Carl Eller. In the 70s there were Tony Dungy and Rick Upchurch. And of course the Barber Maroney years. But this is the best Gopher team of all of those teams. And Tanner is the best quarterback of all of them. I was at that 1960 Iowa-Minnesota game that decided the national championship. Security prevented people from going on the field. I have NEVER seen a crowd like Saturday's. Best crowd ever. I hope fans don't sell tickets to Skunk fans. Because then that will be the best crowd ever. Row the BOAT all the way to Pasadena.

I started going to Gopher games in the Billy Bye, Leo Nomellini, Bud Grant era. Then Paul Giel and Bob McNamara & Bobby Cox. Then Sandy Stephens, Tom Brown, Bobby Bell and Carl Eller. In the 70s there were Tony Dungy and Rick Upchurch. And of course the Barber Maroney years. But this is the best Gopher team of all of those teams. And Tanner is the best quarterback of all of them. I was at that 1960 Iowa-Minnesota game that decided the national championship. Security prevented people from going on the field. I have NEVER seen a crowd like Saturday's. Best crowd ever. I hope fans don't sell tickets to Skunk fans. Because then that will be the best crowd ever. Row the BOAT all the way to Pasadena.

Wow man, respect to you! Thanks for sharing all that. Very cool to know that Saturday was such a great atmosphere -- even historic.

I was honored to be there and glad I have season tickets, whew! Thank you for this information!

Top Bottom