What Was it Like at the Stadium?

Well here we are.... guess I'll gnaw this finger nail off my finger...

Yeah I just noticed that dude in the picture is going to town on his thumbnail. Hope he doesn’t get an infection, those hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone earlier in the thread called the atmosphere electric. That was a great comment. It was electric. People were into every play and made noise nonstop when Penn State had the ball. The big thing was the Gopher fans seemed so confident. Normally in Minnesota there is this fatalistic, cynical view towards not just the Gophers but all teams in general. No one can allow themselves to really enjoy the big moments because they're too busy bracing themselves for the seemingly inevitably gut punch. By and large that wasn't present today.

When Penn State got that TD that should have been disallowed and then we got nowhere on our drive to give them the ball back at a 31-26 score, you could feel everyone's mood drop and there was a moment when that old feeling sank in, but people just got zoned in for that last Penn State drive and hope really was alive. After the INT to seal the win, people went nuts. People were jumping around and hugging. I saw a guy actually with tears in his eyes he was so happy.

Today's game was truly something special, something that Gopher fans born too late for the last great run in the 1960s never thought possible in our lifetimes. The biggest fear I had coming in was that we'd lose today and the feeling of fun would end, like how Keenum to Diggs over the Saints put Vikings fans on Cloud 9 for a week until the Eagles game brought it all crashing down. Instead we got the big win and now the feelings of joy and fun are rising even higher. Let's bring Floyd home and keep it rolling.

The best sporting event I have ever attended. The fans and team brought it. Much credit to the coaching staff and team for starting strong, and getting the fans into it right away and I felt like the fans picked the team up a couple of times in second half. Cheers to y'all!

loved the big screen cameo appearances telling crowd to go nuts...crowd went really nuts for Bobby Bell...Maxx, Cashman, Dom Barber, et al were all great...paratroopers during anthem were great to get it going right away...Winfield pick, Morgan to Bateman bomb kicked it up a notch...beer lines were insane...the hype videos were great...weather was perfect...i got hot for a while and took off two layers...thw swaying in the tunnel that PJ does with the team has spread to students, is spreading to rest of crowd...maroon participation was really good...

the kids and goldy do a row bit to florida georgia line roll song that is cool....prince music at end was cool...all we do is win is always cool...they played another modern country song in end of third quarter medley the kids loved...party like we do, freeze, zombie was timed well...

spelling out M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A at the end of the Rouser is the best crowd cheer in the Big Ten...really has to be great for the home team when as loud it was.

loved the big screen cameo appearances telling crowd to go nuts...crowd went really nuts for Bobby Bell...Maxx, Cashman, Dom Barber, et al were all great...paratroopers during anthem were great to get it going right away...Winfield pick, Morgan to Bateman bomb kicked it up a notch...beer lines were insane...the hype videos were great...weather was perfect...i got hot for a while and took off two layers...thw swaying in the tunnel that PJ does with the team has spread to students, is spreading to rest of crowd...maroon participation was really good...

Don’t forget how the Gopher media team made sure to have Dan Nystrom tell fans to do “The Gopher”. That was the ultimate troll on Penn State

Don’t forget how the Gopher media team made sure to have Dan Nystrom tell fans to do “The Gopher”. That was the ultimate troll on Penn State

nystrom was great and getting a good bunch of the 99 team out on the field during one of the breaks was cool

Did not sit at any point during the game.

I was literally exhausted after; I could not do this every week.

Wisconsin had their moment in 1993 when they beat Michigan and everything changed; I truly believe that today was our "Michigan '93 Moment."

I saw several posts on Facebook and other Social media that at times it was so loud in the stadium that it drown out the announcers on TV, makes me wish I had recorded the game just to go back and watch to see if that actually happened.

Lots of old guys with tears in their eyes at the end.

And I was one of them! I'm 69 and cannot remember a moment like this one. When Howden intercepted that pass, I broke down. I simply couldn't believe what was happening. We are in the upper deck or I probably would have jumped the wall and rushed the field. With all the games we have sat through in our lifetime, I turned to our friends that we sit with and said, " nobody, and I mean NOBODY, deserves this more than us" and by that I mean the fans, the students, the players and the coaches. I also said that if we play like we did against Penn State, and TCF is rockin' like it was yesterday, there is no way that we lose to Wisconsin, NO WAY. This team is destined for something special, and now it is within our grasp. Enjoy the ride, Gopher fans, it doesn't come our way very often. Congratulations to the team and the coaches, and also to our terrific student section. Yesterday was the VERY best of college football. It was the type of atmosphere we've seen at The Big House, and The Shoe, Camp Randall, Kinnick, and other stadiums around the BIG 10. This is what EVERY Saturday should look like. Thanks again, students!!!

I saw several posts on Facebook and other Social media that at times it was so loud in the stadium that it drown out the announcers on TV, makes me wish I had recorded the game just to go back and watch to see if that actually happened.

Completely agree. After Winfield's first interception, the announcers had to raise their voices and pause to be able to be heard which lasted the rest of the game. Did anyone have a decibel meter?

The crowd was so loud I don't think I heard the count for Goldy doing push-ups at any point.

This has been a really fun chain to read! I envy all of you who were there in person and say thanks as a fellow Gophers fan that each of you decided to bring it big time yesterday and helped to create a true home field advantage and get us the best W most of us have seen in our lifetimes. Believe me, there were tears from those of us watching at home too!

Funny how the bell doesn’t seem like such a dumb trophy this morning!

The crowd was so loud I don't think I heard the count for Goldy doing push-ups at any point.

Come to think of it I don’t remember any of the side activities from the game. None of them. It felt like non stop action. Few penalties and no review delays helped that.

The first half took forever.

The second half honestly felt like the length of a drive or two and was over in a blur.

Our crew of 8 all graduated in the late 80/early 90s. One flew in from California, one Colorado. One drove from Winona, another from Fargo. A couple still woke up in the Twin Cities and met us at the Bank. I knew we had to be there. Many of us went to every football and basketball game played while we were in school. We all still watch every game from wherever we are, across the nation.

For comparison, the barn back in our school days then was electric. I remember the game where the Fab Five from Michigan came to town, and Voshon who grew up with those guys was shooting daggers. The teams with Bobby, Sam, Courtney, JT - the place would shutter. My brother and I went to every Twins World Series game, and saw the Gophs in the Final Four in Indy (yes it happened even if they vacated it).

Yesterday was loud. Maybe not as loud as in the Dome after the "we'll see you tomorrow night" moment, or in the barn, since it was outside. But what last night had on all those games, for me, was a little more emotion.

Why are people saying this is the greatest game I've ever been to in my life, when it was midseason? How could that compare to a World Series Victory, a victory over UCLA on the national stage to advance to the Final Four?

It just was. This was a transforming victory. A lot of bottled up emotions and hopes. It will change recruiting. It will change the respect we have. We broke through with this one. The field rush was not because we haven't been there before. It was just pure emotion. My brother did "snow angels" on the field. Lots of tears, hugs, and high fives. First player I saw when I got the the field was Barber. He just looked to be in disbelief, pure joy. He was just standing there soaking it up.

Awesome scene at TCF. If you didn't make it, get out the wallet for the Wisconsin game. DO NOT LET the cheeseheads buy up our tickets. Just commit and do it. This team is one for the ages - this team is the beginning of a new age for Gopher football!!!!

Franklin in his post-game presser identified "dealing with the noise" as a huge factor in the challenge PSU faced at Our House.

It just was. This was a transforming victory. A lot of bottled up emotions and hopes. It will change recruiting. It will change the respect we have. We broke through with this one. The field rush was not because we haven't been there before. It was just pure emotion. My brother did "snow angels" on the field. Lots of tears, hugs, and high fives. First player I saw when I got the the field was Barber. He just looked to be in disbelief, pure joy. He was just standing there soaking it up.

!

The field rush looked so great on TV. Minnesotans love their Gophers as much as anyone loves their team, 50 years of crushed hopes and disappointment made us scared to commit...I didn't just "get misty" watching it from here in Oklahoma...actual teardrops fell and it was glorious.

It was pandemonium yesterday! The buzz before, during and after the game was nothing I’ve ever been a part of in all my years of going to Gopher Football games. I’ve never given so many high fives and hugged so many strangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Franklin in his post-game presser identified "dealing with the noise" as a huge factor in the challenge PSU faced at Our House.

Players were relaying play calls from the QB down the line a few times when they didn't hear the QB.

It was insane. I can barely talk. I hugged random people, I screamed and high fived and went insane. It was complete and utter pandemonium. Just insane. Words are still escaping me. Tears flowed.

I went to a wedding after the game. A lot of wedding guests wore maroon. It was intentional. And absolutely crazy.

I’m exhausted.

Love this video by Chris Long.

Amazing atmosphere. My voice is still partly missing this morning and my legs are sore from standing and jumping the whole game.

The only gripe I had is there didn’t seem to be nearly enough of the gold towels for everyone. I walked in right at kickoff and didn’t get one.

OMG that Chris Long Video of the start is awesome. That entrance was raucous! You really have to credit the Gophers execution. We came out and Antoine punched em in the mouth. Tanner to Rashad was another upper cut. If we don't come out like that and control the whole game, the crowd may not have been the same.

To compare, I was at the Twins/Yankees playoff game at home this year. That crowd was ready to erupt but there was a lot of untapped energy as the Twins did nothing to let us get into it. Absoluetly opposite yesterday- it was non-stop and we made one huge play after another all day long.

My son is in 6th grade and it has been a few years since he went to a game with me. Partly due to his soccer games in the fall, but partly because his last memories of games were not exciting enough for him. He always felt like the games were too long, too boring, etc.

We went yesterday and he was still talking this morning about how much fun the game was. He said he couldn't believe how fast it seemed to go. We were in 114 and stood the entire game.

From my perspective (I'm in my mid-40's), it was the most exciting sporting event I've been to in-person (I'll still put the 2002 Hockey National Championship game as the most exciting game I've watched, but I wasn't there in-person). From the moment we got to our seats I could tell something was different about the atmosphere. That didn't change through the whole game and storming the field at the end was the icing on the cake.

When Barber went down late in the 4th, a "Let's go Gophers" cheer caught on stadium wide. It didn't start in the student section; it sounded like it started near the PSU fan corner. After it ended, I realized how/where it started, relished in the stadium wide participation and thought this time.....things would end the way we've always dreamed!

PS...I was home side, mid-field and had no idea a PSU band was there.

Top Bottom