THIS is what changing the culture means

Gold Rush

Reaction score
PJ Fleck has constantly talked about "changing the culture" at Minnesota and I think some such as Jerry Kill were deeply offended by that. He has said this wasn't a terrible team that he took over and that Kill had a good thing going while he was here.

That is true -- to a point. But changing the culture means going into a big game not just hoping to win and then losing when all the chips are in the middle of the table. It means not just winning a stunning upset when the other team wasn't prepared or was looking ahead to the next week. It means going into a big game when the number #4 team in the country has prepared for it for two weeks - and winning. And not just hoping to win....but EXPECTING to win. It means competing on a level playing field with anyone and it means going in and getting a top recruit instead of everyone else's leftovers. It means finishing 4-4 in the Big Ten is NOT enough.

People on here know I have been saying all year you have got to pay PJ Fleck and keep him here as long as possible. NOW how much do you think he would be commanding after this big win? ALL the big boys would be looking at him right now. To be honest, if they wanted him bad enough a 10M buyout or 5M buyout isn't going to stop them in the least. But what it does is shows we are doing everything we can to keep this guy around and if he ever does decide to leave, well we did everything we could. He is the first coach I have been really excited about since Lou Holtz was here. He is indeed changing the culture here and I would be saying that even if we had lost.

You can see the team DIDN'T fold this time. They played hard all the way to the end and they showed they belonged with the #4 team in the country, not because they got lucky but because they truly believed they belonged. THIS is what changing the culture is all about and I think it is changing in a bigtime way here. If I were Iowa or Wisconsin, I would be very concerned what is going on here at Minnesota!!

VERY proud of Coach Fleck and the Golden Gopher football team!

Yeh, but 15 games in media was really tired of hearing how young they were.

Why wasn't Howden, Tanner, Bateman, etc., beating Penn State LAST YEAR and the YEAR BEFORE!??!?

/sarcasm

Why wasn't Howden, Tanner, Bateman, etc., beating Penn State LAST YEAR and the YEAR BEFORE!??!?

/sarcasm

Gopher fever is spreading - even to remote locations like KFAN on Paul Allen. It's really nice to see all the new interest in the team!

Gopher fever is spreading - even to remote locations like KFAN on Paul Allen. It's really nice to see all the new interest in the team!

That interest is going to go through the roof after this. The one thing holding it back was the schedule, now no one can say we haven't played anyone yet. This team is for real.....and there is no reason to think we won't be just as good or better next fall. Holy crap, I knew there was a chance we could win this game but deep down I don't think I truly expected it to happen. So amazing.....now let's go beat Iowa, bring Floyd home and essentially wrap up the West with a few weeks to go.

The National media is going to be on board as well after this one and the CFP committee looks really bad for putting us behind so many 2 loss teams. Bigtime correction coming on that front. Now we get to find out what it is like to be the hunted....

That interest is going to go through the roof after this. The one thing holding it back was the schedule, now no one can say we haven't played anyone yet. This team is for real.....and there is no reason to think we won't be just as good or better next fall. Holy crap, I knew there was a chance we could win this game but deep down I don't think I truly expected it to happen. So amazing.....now let's go beat Iowa, bring Floyd home and essentially wrap up the West with a few weeks to go.

The National media is going to be on board as well after this one and the CFP committee looks really bad for putting us behind so many 2 loss teams. Bigtime correction coming on that front. Now we get to find out what it is like to be the hunted....

I heard Urban Meyer saying you have to put them in the top 10 after this. He felt the voters were doing the right thing ranking them low because they had not played anyone yet but with this victory you have to bump them way up. I agree -- Sunday voting should be interesting to see where we are!!

What was Penn State’s defensive ranking?

If we are not top 5 after this, F the media. It’s about our four walls. Nothing else matters.

/sarcasm

The media loved whiney Jerry, yet railroad positive PJ for pointing out they were young.

Just had 51,400 people experience the best Gopher game in the last 30 years. A lot of old wounds healed today.

If we are not top 5 after this, F the media. It’s about our four walls. Nothing else matters.

We will not be in the Top 5. We "might" get to 8 or 9, but you know how it goes, SEC team A loses to SEC team B and the talk is all about wow Team B is better than we thought. In every other conference, it's oh, Team A maybe wasn't as good as we thought. Of course every SEC team plays ranked teams because their whole league is ranked at the beginning of every season whether it's deserved or not....

Gophers won't get to the Top 5 unless they make it to the B1G Championship undefeated. Really, who cares, just keep winning and worry about ourselves and the recognition will come.

The team played with Fleck's personality. I can't imagine being on his team and not be happy to run through a brick wall for the guy.

We are not going to be in the top 5, so don’t freak out. Remember, it really doesn’t matter where they have us, even it we are still outside the top 10. If we take care of business, they will have us were we should be when that time comes.

STAY FOCUSED ANE KEEP WINNING!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get ready to hear how the big ten is down this year. That’s the usual refrain when a non-psu, Michigan, OSU do well.

Can he name 5 current players?

Can he name 5 current players?

Yes - he used to sound very bored with the team whenever he talked about them, but he has stepped it up the last few weeks and he is covering them a lot more. Maybe he was told this or maybe he is legitimately getting into the story but even the most obstinate are coming around right now.

Yes - he used to sound very bored with the team whenever he talked about them, but he has stepped it up the last few weeks and he is covering them a lot more. Maybe he was told this or maybe he is legitimately getting into the story but even the most obstinate are coming around right now.

I love the Vikings and find 9-Noon to be the most unlistenable program on KFAN, you could literally teach a class on how not to interview with PA content.

Just got back from the game. Wonderful experience, great environment. The culture changed the day he was hired because he built a foundation of high character with a acute eye for talent and how to use. It creates a closeness of strength that can be a powerful force. This is what hiring the right coach looks . To do what he has done this quickly in football is remarkable. In basketball i have seen incredible foundations built by year three that lead to conference titles and national titles if they got that identity built early but never after. Coach Fleck just keep improving every day and never sacrificing character. He held people accountable to themselves, the team and the university. Bravo !

I LOVE his culture focus, unlike many who are annoyed by it. I’m super happy it is translating to wins. All the sour, sarcastic, negative grumps (Reusse is their leader) can go hide under their bridges for the next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Vikings and find 9-Noon to be the most unlistenable program on KFAN, you could literally teach a class on how not to interview with PA content.

Well if you are a Vikings fan he is the driver of the bandwagon, that's for sure! I like the Vikings, but have always been a Gopher fan first and foremost. The Gophers are a tremendous story this year and a lot of people are starting to see this and catch on.

After the TD on a missed delay of game I was pretty sure the Gophers would let it get to their heads, lose the game, and then (validly) complain about how a missed call that's not even a judgement call cost them the game. That's what the Gophers of a few years ago would have done. This team kept on fighting.

After the TD on a missed delay of game I was pretty sure the Gophers would let it get to their heads, lose the game, and then (validly) complain about how a missed call that's not even a judgement call cost them the game. That's what the Gophers of a few years ago would have done. This team kept on fighting.

Exactly! And I am positive Coach Fleck will let the team celebrate for a little bit and then get right down to business for the Iowa game next week. I wonder how many games the Gophers folded under pressure in the 4th quarter when they got a little adversity over the last 30 years? I bet it's a lot. And Gopher fans -- I don't even want to know so don't look it up -- it's too painful!! haha

I was at the game and missed this. Was this PSU’s last TD?
That was the best atmosphere and most fun I have had at a sporting event. I bet the miracle in Mpls or the 87 or 91 World Series runs would top it but for regular season hard to top.

I was at the game and missed this. Was this PSU’s last TD?
That was the best atmosphere and most fun I have had at a sporting event. I bet the miracle in Mpls or the 87 or 91 World Series runs would top it but for regular season hard to top.

Yes. You can see it around 1:37 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpxeHKXFZqc

Only about half a second over but still very clearly over. It's a shame that's not reviewable. Penn State fans complain about PI which is a judgment call but this was just a blatant missed call because the ref wasn't paying attention.

Top Bottom