Keep it classy Gopher fans!!

Gold Rush

Reaction score
This goes out to all Gopher fans - let's try to be the classiest fans in the country! That's not only for these message boards but at the game and everywhere else you go. Back in the day before this board was moderated very well, other fans particularly from Iowa or Wisconsin would troll these boards pretty hard and I probably engaged several myself. Kudos to the moderators on here who have done a pretty good job at making this a place for Gopher fans to share in the highs and lows we have with this team and keep the trolls out!

Let's be good winners as well as good losers. That isn't always easy to do when the trolls try to engage you with various insults directed at our favorite football team or when the opponents fans act like jerks (You know who they are!) Sometimes things are better left unsaid and deescalation is always a good choice!

Treat the opponents and their fans with kindness and respect. Engage in pleasant or funny conversations and walk away at the end shaking hands instead of exchanging blows. Take the high road....always!!!

During the game I expect our team to play as hard as they can within the confines of the rules and good sportsmanship but at the end of the day it's just a game and we will shake their hand as a sign of mutual respect. Then we celebrate or mourn and then we move on to next week.

It's easy to be a good winner - we are in a great mood and enthusiastically talk about the great game, but we don't need to rub it in the face of the other team and their fans. Remember how that feels after a crushing loss and you have some jackass from the other team piling on adding to the misery? Well, don't be that guy. It's a lot tougher to be a good loser but it's part of good sportsmanship. You have to let it go and offer congratulations to the other team because on that day they were a little better than you were. You have to rebound and maybe learn a few things to work on to get a little better as a team.

So if you see some fans from Penn St. out there today, or any other school in the future keep it friendly and keep it cool. Win or lose, life goes on and we go back to work or school or wherever else the next day -- and we try to be classy there, too!

IMHO, MN fans are pretty classy compared other fans. The only exception that can be made is hate week against Iowa and Wisconsin. Even then, Gopher fans are pretty tame.

As far as Gopherhole is concerned, this is one of the best messageboard around. Kudos to the moderators and the folks that run it. They allowed the right mix of excellent expose', humor, heart warming stories, sharing news about recruiting, breaking stories, in-depth analysis, predictions, banter, the usual cast of characters.

Even the news media pick up on Gopherhole at times.

They allowed creative freedom within reason and good taste. They also know when to pull the plug.

Thank you Gopherhole team!

Last edited:

IMHO, MN fans are pretty classy compared other fans. The only exception that can be made is hate week against Iowa and Wisconsin. Even then, Gopher fans are pretty tame.

As far as Gopherhole is concerned, this is one of the best messageboard around. Kudos to the moderators and the folks that run it. They allowed the right mix of excellent expose', humor, heart warming stories, sharing news about recruiting, breaking stories, banter, the usual cast of characters.

They allowed creative freedom within reason and good taste. They know when to pull the plug.

Well said on all accounts! This is truly a great place to go for Gopher football!

Like PJ always says, be elite in all areas of life: academically, socially, spiritually, and online.

As far as Gopherhole is concerned, this is one of the best messageboard around. Kudos to the moderators and the folks that run it. They allowed the right mix of excellent expose', humor, heart warming stories, sharing news about recruiting, breaking stories, in-depth analysis, predictions, banter, the usual cast of characters.

They allowed creative freedom within reason and good taste. They also know when to pull the plug.

+1

The biggest problems I've seen with fan behavior have been with students who were way too drunk. I've never really seen problems with anyone else. Overall the fans behave well and I think they will again today.

The biggest problems I've seen with fan behavior have been with students who were way too drunk. I've never really seen problems with anyone else. Overall the fans behave well and I think they will again today.

I think the students just don't know how to wear a thong...….

Ours is a good group of fans, if a little apathetic.

Still, the root of discontent is unmet expectations. We’re starting to get into some stuff where hearts are going to break or dreams will come true.

Last big game I attended at TCF — that heartbreaker on Halloween vs Michigan — I lost my cool. I’m pledging to do better today.

Keep it classy, but don't forget that the whole football program enabled sexual exploitation of young boys for years and swept it under the rug. Other than that nice school probably

Ours is a good group of fans, if a little apathetic.

Still, the root of discontent is unmet expectations. We’re starting to get into some stuff where hearts are going to break or dreams will come true.

Last big game I attended at TCF — that heartbreaker on Halloween vs Michigan — I lost my cool. I’m pledging to do better today.

That one was tough.

Fully expect a th(r)ong of PSU visitors where we sit today. Anyone in front of us will be deaf but otherwise the Billds will keep it civil.

I would worry more about MN endemic apathy.

Keep it classy, but don't forget that the whole football program enabled sexual exploitation of young boys for years and swept it under the rug. Other than that nice school probably

True, but is anyone that was involved even around? That's a very painful horrible thing. I'd hope that not one single fan brings this up. If people do, it's about as classless as can be.

I don't know. In my daydreams, I see my id taking over and pelting PSU with snowballs. In reality? Probably not. Probably.

As excited as I am for this game and the rest of the season, it is ultimately just entertainment and not worth starting arguments or fights with fans of another team (that's not what I consider fun). I, and most of us, have no impact on the results on the field, so there's no reason to be cocky if the Gophers win. Let's just enjoy the process!

True, but is anyone that was involved even around? That's a very painful horrible thing. I'd hope that not one single fan brings this up. If people do, it's about as classless as can be.

I went to Pitt for grad school and attended the Pitt-Penn State game in Pittsburgh a couple of years ago (when Pitt won). There was a not insubstantial number of Pitt fans who were absolutely merciless about this.

I think there is an acceptable level of good-natured banter allowed in college football. If you are going to give it out though you better be able to take it. Violence is not acceptable since this is just a game and it is not life or death. That said we can as individuals get pretty tied up in it all.

I’m not. One of the many tragedies of that whole scandal was that like most NCAA scandals, a whole bunch of innocent bystanders and amateur athletes paid the real (football) price.

I went to Pitt for grad school and attended the Pitt-Penn State game in Pittsburgh a couple of years ago (when Pitt won). There was a not insubstantial number of Pitt fans who were absolutely merciless about this.
As they should be. After what happened, the only acceptable thing to do is cut all ties, if they still want to support that school, that is on them. Covering up child molestation is not something you get a pass for.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

This goes out to all Gopher fans - let's try to be the classiest fans in the country! That's not only for these message boards but at the game and everywhere else you go. Back in the day before this board was moderated very well, other fans particularly from Iowa or Wisconsin would troll these boards pretty hard and I probably engaged several myself. Kudos to the moderators on here who have done a pretty good job at making this a place for Gopher fans to share in the highs and lows we have with this team and keep the trolls out!

Let's be good winners as well as good losers. That isn't always easy to do when the trolls try to engage you with various insults directed at our favorite football team or when the opponents fans act like jerks (You know who they are!) Sometimes things are better left unsaid and deescalation is always a good choice!

Treat the opponents and their fans with kindness and respect. Engage in pleasant or funny conversations and walk away at the end shaking hands instead of exchanging blows. Take the high road....always!!!

During the game I expect our team to play as hard as they can within the confines of the rules and good sportsmanship but at the end of the day it's just a game and we will shake their hand as a sign of mutual respect. Then we celebrate or mourn and then we move on to next week.

It's easy to be a good winner - we are in a great mood and enthusiastically talk about the great game, but we don't need to rub it in the face of the other team and their fans. Remember how that feels after a crushing loss and you have some jackass from the other team piling on adding to the misery? Well, don't be that guy. It's a lot tougher to be a good loser but it's part of good sportsmanship. You have to let it go and offer congratulations to the other team because on that day they were a little better than you were. You have to rebound and maybe learn a few things to work on to get a little better as a team.

So if you see some fans from Penn St. out there today, or any other school in the future keep it friendly and keep it cool. Win or lose, life goes on and we go back to work or school or wherever else the next day -- and we try to be classy there, too!

+1,000,000

We represent the U as much as the athletes. Represent it well! Polite, respectful, elite! Minnesota should mean class.

As they should be. After what happened, the only acceptable thing to do is cut all ties, if they still want to support that school, that is on them. Covering up child molestation is not something you get a pass for.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

The Penn state vs MSU should have been 18+, keep everyone safe from the pedos from both schools

It's like an old timer in a Nebraska bar told me when I complimented Nebraska fans as hosts. "Son, its easy to be gracious to our visiting teams when they come to Lincoln and spend aa their money here in Nebraska. Why not be nice, when we know we are going to have our opponents leaving here with their tail between their legs. We always knew we were going to win every game at home. Not so much these days"

The point is, be gracious and make sure our visitors have a good time away form TCF Stadium because we all know Minnesota's not going to be a gracious host on the field any longer. Go Gophers!

I’m with the OP. I don’t just want to be classy compared to those who aren’t. Let’s set a standard, not eye someone else’s standard to decide how far we can push it.

Top Bottom