Penn band?

MirandaB

Reaction score
A friend tells me the PSU band is at a hotel in Bloomington. Any band people know if the band is officially here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I'm a former member and part of a Big Ten Marching Band group, looks like a pep band has come, not the full band

Yes it's a partial band. They'll sit up by the scoreboard and play a bit during the game but I don't think they're ever performing on the field.

Thanks. More atmosphere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They only playing when they score?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I saw a Penn State band member say there are about 15 of them on the trip.

Yes it's a partial band. They'll sit up by the scoreboard and play a bit during the game but I don't think they're ever performing on the field.
Didn't someone bring their band to one of our games and they played together at half. I could see it as a joint effort to salute service members

Didn't someone bring their band to one of our games and they played together at half. I could see it as a joint effort to salute service members

It has happened a number of times over the years.

Usually the full band visits are planned way ahead.

Has the Minnesota band ever traveled to a non-bowl away game? It just seems like whenever we have big home games the away team gets their band but I haven’t seen reciprocation.

That was Iowa a couple of years ago. The dance teams from both schools performed together also.

Iowa came in 2016 and Northwestern came in 2018. Iowa played part of halftime and we did the national anthem together. I don't think Northwestern played at all on the field because it was the last game of the season and therefore the seniors last home game so the band didn't want their last home performances to get cut short.

I've heard that the general agreement with athletics is to host a band every other year if a band is interested. I'm not sure how well that had been kept but in recent years it has been every other.

The band traveled to away games roughly once a year until 2000 or so and then stopped for financial reasons. They went to Nebraska last year. They're trying to put together funding to go every year but they still have a long way to go for that. Bowl games have a payout that includes money to send a band so there is always funding for that. Athletics doesn't fund travel to regular away games so the band needs to raise money in order to go to them.

Penn State and Northwesterns bands typically travel as a smaller pep band. I like it, the bands are part of what makes college football unique.

Penn State and Northwesterns bands typically travel as a smaller pep band. I like it, the bands are part of what makes college football unique.

PSU brings a very small pep band to most away games. Northwestern brought whole band last year....just not too big

Riding down the hill to the stadium right now....just like Bobby Bell was talking about on radio yesterday

Top Bottom