Handlers

MplsGopher

Reaction score
(will edit this later ... in the meantime perhaps the mods will move the posts over from the Dawson thread)

(will edit this later ... in the meantime perhaps the mods will move the posts over from the Dawson thread)

I think, the majority of “handlers” are well meaning, honorable, folks offering to help with good intentions.

I’m not talking about 5 Star recruits in my hypotheticals to follow:

It can get overwhelming to deal with a lot of the chatter. I think there is some strategy involved as well. As a recruit you want other schools to know you have several schools interested in you. But, you may have no interest in a particular school as a player. The handler can navigate the dialogue so you don’t have to deal with it or just prematurely end the courtship yourself and tell them no. That also would eliminate the creation of any buzz to attract greater interest.

As a player you find out who wants you the most. Who believes in you. Who is lazy in their recruiting. The handler likely knows several of the coaches. He has been through this multiple times. Not all schools are honest. Some kids are impressed by goofy things...”Coach, every player gets an iPad at blank state!!!” The handler can share their experiences dealing with certain schools. Comes down to trust. Ideally, you are entering a relationship with this coach for four years. Ex: I can almost guarantee so and so will not be at this school in two years etc Rumors are this happened with this coach...talk to so and so they played for them. Etc Etc
Lots of ways to help.

Most AAU coaches make zero dollars. They spend money helping kids. For every top level program there are 100 AAU teams with no division one players. But several get D2 scholarships or JC invites or NAIA or some play to get recruited by D3 schools. They just want to play, to be wanted, to get better for their high school teams.

If you love to coach, if you love to help people, as hard as it is for some people to believe, there are coaches who just wanna help. Maybe their son or they themselves wished somebody would have been there for guidance so they wouldn’t have had to endure a poor situation. However honorable someone’s intentions there will be haters to criticize and make stuff up.

Handlers can be good. I believe the majority are. Some are looking to land a job or make some money.

I think, the majority of “handlers” are well meaning, honorable, folks offering to help with good intentions.

I’m not talking about 5 Star recruits in my hypotheticals to follow:

It can get overwhelming to deal with a lot of the chatter. I think there is some strategy involved as well. As a recruit you want other schools to know you have several schools interested in you. But, you may have no interest in a particular school as a player. The handler can navigate the dialogue so you don’t have to deal with it or just prematurely end the courtship yourself and tell them no. That also would eliminate the creation of any buzz to attract greater interest.

As a player you find out who wants you the most. Who believes in you. Who is lazy in their recruiting. The handler likely knows several of the coaches. He has been through this multiple times. Not all schools are honest. Some kids are impressed by goofy things...”Coach, every player gets an iPad at blank state!!!” The handler can share their experiences dealing with certain schools. Comes down to trust. Ideally, you are entering a relationship with this coach for four years. Ex: I can almost guarantee so and so will not be at this school in two years etc Rumors are this happened with this coach...talk to so and so they played for them. Etc Etc
Lots of ways to help.

Most AAU coaches make zero dollars. They spend money helping kids. For every top level program there are 100 AAU teams with no division one players. But several get D2 scholarships or JC invites or NAIA or some play to get recruited by D3 schools. They just want to play, to be wanted, to get better for their high school teams.

If you love to coach, if you love to help people, as hard as it is for some people to believe, there are coaches who just wanna help. Maybe their son or they themselves wished somebody would have been there for guidance so they wouldn’t have had to endure a poor situation. However honorable someone’s intentions there will be haters to criticize and make stuff up.

Handlers can be good. I believe the majority are. Some are looking to land a job or make some money.

Great post. Just like in every walk of life there are good and bad characters. There are other sources for parents and players besides handlers. There are consultants that get paid a flat fee for laying out facts and offering opinions. They give a honest evaluation of fit, the quality of the coach, school, depth of roster, history of development.

Top Bottom