Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 5pyker View Post
    Morgan hasn't been asked to win the game with his arm. Other than Rutgers and Georgia Southern, he hasn't thrown more than 23 passes in a game. You've had 376 rush attempts and only 174 pass attempts. PSU's #1 focus is stopping the run and I guarantee you that's what they will try to do tomorrow to force Tanner to throw the ball 30+ times.
    He threw for 396 yards and 4 TD's to zero picks against Purdue. And was 5-6 on third and 4th down against Fresno state including 3-3 on the game tying drive.

There have been several games where he was asked to and did win the game with his arm.

I've always felt this team is better at passing the ball then running it, we just choose to run it more than we pass. We certainly have more talented players in our passing game than our running game.

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    He threw for 396 yards and 4 TD's to zero picks against Purdue. And was 5-6 on third and 4th down against Fresno state including 3-3 on the game tying drive.

There have been several games where he was asked to and did win the game with his arm.

I've always felt this team is better at passing the ball then running it, we just choose to run it more than we pass. We certainly have more talented players in our passing game than our running game.
    The coaches are very good at taking what the defense gives them. If a team loads up to stop the run we pass, if they load up to stop the pass we run. If they load up to stop the run and can't stop us anyway we keep on running.

The O-Line has to hold up, if they give Morgan time to work Penn State may be surprised about what we can throw at them. They will be the best defensive team we have faced this year, on the flip side we are the best offensive team they have seen. Will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

QBR isn’t a statistic, it’s a metric

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post

It's a lot easier to play QB when are able to run the ball. Safeties come down in the box, DL doesn't rush up field, play action is more effective - there's a lot of reasons. But if PSU is able to shut down the run and make you one dimensional, which is what PSU tries to do and is very effective at doing, it's a lot harder on the QB. He hasn't done that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    The coaches are very good at taking what the defense gives them. If a team loads up to stop the run we pass, if they load up to stop the pass we run. If they load up to stop the run and can't stop us anyway we keep on running.

The O-Line has to hold up, if they give Morgan time to work Penn State may be surprised about what we can throw at them. They will be the best defensive team we have faced this year, on the flip side we are the best offensive team they have seen. Will be interesting to see who comes out on top.
    It's a lot easier to do that against the competition you have faced. All I'm saying is, Tanner hasn't been asked to win games yet. You are predominantly a running team, what will happen when you don't have success running the ball? If you have success, this discussion is obviously pointless, but that will be a very tough task running the ball consistently on this defense.

It's a lot easier to do that against the competition you have faced. All I'm saying is, Tanner hasn't been asked to win games yet. You are predominantly a running team, what will happen when you don't have success running the ball? If you have success, this discussion is obviously pointless, but that will be a very tough task running the ball consistently on this defense.
    Um, you haven't watched a single Minnesota game yet, have you.

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post

Michigan's Oline was able to hold up and Patterson was able to use his legs and make some tough throws under pressure. That's how Michigan was able to score a whopping 21 points on PSU. Morgan isn't as mobile as Shea and I don't think Minnesota's Oline is as good as Michigan's. Obviously it's CFB and crazy things happen, but I think PSU's defense will have a lot of success against Minnesota. But It all comes down to stopping the run.

It's a lot easier to play QB when are able to run the ball. Safeties come down in the box, DL doesn't rush up field, play action is more effective - there's a lot of reasons. But if PSU is able to shut down the run and make you one dimensional, which is what PSU tries to do and is very effective at doing, it's a lot harder on the QB. He hasn't done that yet.
    We averaged 2.7 yards per rush for less than 100 yards against Purdue, 2.8 yards per rush against FSU and just 3.7 against GSU. Against GSU he engineered a 13 play, 94 yard game winning drive with under 4 minutes where we only ran the ball once and against Fresno, he led an 11 play, 59 yard game tying drive where we ran the ball just 4 times.

No offense, spyker but you’re sort of outing yourself as willfully ignorant, hopefully your team feels the same way as you. Morgan has been consistently clutch in long yardage situations on passing downs going back to last year. It’s not really debatable. Whatever statistic you’re using is garbage.

Michigan's Oline was able to hold up and Patterson was able to use his legs and make some tough throws under pressure. That's how Michigan was able to score a whopping 21 points on PSU. Morgan isn't as mobile as Shea and I don't think Minnesota's Oline is as good as Michigan's. Obviously it's CFB and crazy things happen, but I think PSU's defense will have a lot of success against Minnesota. But It all comes down to stopping the run.
    Michigans offense has been near garbage up until Notre Dame. They seem to be getting things put together now but they were average at best early on. Let’s see how they finish the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    No offense, spyker but you’re sort of outing yourself as willfully ignorant, hopefully your team feels the same way as you. Morgan has been consistently clutch in long yardage situations on passing downs going back to last year. It’s not really debatable. Whatever statistic you’re using is garbage.
    Fleck & Co have done a great job of continuing to open up the offensive playbook in the last several games...adding nice wrinkles here and there to further expose the defense. I expect that to continue tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Yep, he is willing to totally discount what our offense has done based on who we have played yet at the same time assumes their defense won't have any trouble at all against the best offense they have faced all year.

I'm not taking anything away from their defense but they have not exactly taken on great offensive teams to this point in the season. He may not want to give our O credit based on who we have played but I think it is very clear we have one of the best offenses in the Big Ten with the ability to hurt teams through the air and on the ground. Guess we will find out for sure tomorrow.

Yeah...the Gophers didnít start running the ball effectively until the 5th game of the season, yet Morgan still had efficiency and YPA stats that ranked up there with Tua, Burrow, and Hurts. The pass blocking wasnít very good either until around that point in the season. Morgan was sacked something like 16 times in the first 4 games, yet he was putting up these numbers. Heís only been sacked once in the last 4 games to give you an idea of the improvement weíve seen in that area.

Tanner Morgan is second in the conference on third down passer rating. If we isolate only 3rd and 10+ he’s still second with a 204.43 and a 64.3% completion rate. Clifford is 105.14 and 57.1%.

For 3rd and 7-9 Clifford is at 40%. Morgan 67%.

I can cherry pick stats as well. Of course MN hasn’t played anyone yet...PSU’s secondary full of high draft picks? Serious question.

What will happen when PSU can't stop the run? See, we can speculate too.

It's a good thing for PSU that your coaches will be better informed than you are. The game tomorrow should be a good one.
    Iím a light eater. As soon as itís light, I start to eat. And I'm on a seefood diet. If I can see food, I'll eat it.