Gophers-PSU on ESPN.com Front Page Right Now

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...te-minnesota-college-football-monster-weekend

Connelly with a solid and fair write-up. Predicts a close game and only gives PSU a 55% win probability. I will take a 45% chance at a win!

We have quickly risen up the metrics in SP+, something about their formula really loves our offense and thinks our defense is pretty solid. On paper, we are the best offense the Lions will have played all year so it should be a good match-up.

"Plus,
Tanner Morgan
throws a pretty deep ball, and he has a lot of WRs capable of running underneath them."

Nice comment about Tanner.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...te-minnesota-college-football-monster-weekend

Connelly with a solid and fair write-up. Predicts a close game and only gives PSU a 55% win probability. I will take a 45% chance at a win!

“We’ve analyzed their attack and there is a danger. Shall I have your ship ready?

Huge game. I was thinking about the weight of expectations when I woke this morning. The biggest game in a generation, a packed house, national ABC coverage, former players and coaches in attendance. Some people might pucker under that pressure. Think of times in your life where the rubber met the road - competitions, missions, tests, interviews, presentations, and the list goes on. How do you respond under pressure?

We have a winner under center. He’s been a winner for a long time and I don’t think he’s going to fold up. The defense is senior led and have seen a lot. It doesn’t mean we’ll necessarily win, because PSU is really good and we may lose if they’re on their top game. But I like our chances. Flip a coin.

"
The Gophers do what they do (but will it work?)

The Minnesota offense is straightforward and effective. The Gophers will run inside zone as much as you'll let them, mix in some outside zone or split zone as a change of pace, and maybe throw occasionally -- probably either go routes or slants against wrong-footed defenders.

It's predictable, but it works because the Gophers have exactly the pieces they need. The offensive line is hilariously big -- anchored by mountainous right tackle Daniel Faalele, the two-deep up front averages 6-foot-6, 326 pounds -- and the running back corps is deep and talented. Plus, Tanner Morgan throws a pretty deep ball, and he has a lot of WRs capable of running underneath them.

That's all well and good, but the Gophers haven't faced a defense anywhere near the caliber of Penn State's. They've averaged 41 points per game since Big Ten action began, but Illinois' defense (51st in SP+) has been the best on the docket so far. Penn State's D ranks sixth.

Even more worrisome: Penn State is first in rushing SP+. The tackles occupy blockers, and the ends and LBs (Yetur Gross-Matos, Shaka Toney, Micah Parsons, Ellis Brooks) swarm.

Minnesota will probably ask Morgan and dangerous receivers Tyler Johnson, Rashod Bateman and Chris Autman-Bell to carry more weight in this game. So far, they've passed their exams with flying colors, but this is a huge test.

SP+ projection: Penn State 28, Minnesota 26 (PSU's win probability: 55%)

"

Giving us a 45-50% chance to win the game, at home, sounds right to me.

Carter's comments about when Fleck took over are interesting:
"He told me my leadership was terrible and the leadership on the team was terrible, and when I see what it's actually supposed to be, I'll look back," Coughlin said. "I thought he was full of it. Looking back where I'm at right now and where a lot of guys on the team are where right now, it's night and day different."

Carter's comments about when Fleck took over are interesting:
"He told me my leadership was terrible and the leadership on the team was terrible, and when I see what it's actually supposed to be, I'll look back," Coughlin said. "I thought he was full of it. Looking back where I'm at right now and where a lot of guys on the team are where right now, it's night and day different."

Oh boy, ol' Jer and Tracy aren't going to like this one:

When Fleck arrived in 2017, Coughlin questioned the coach's messages and methods. Minnesota was coming off of a 9-4 season -- its most wins since 2003 -- and a Holiday Bowl win. Coughlin had been a solid freshman contributor (25 tackles, two sacks) and, in his mind, an aspiring leader.

Although Minnesota had been winning before Fleck showed up, the team threatened to boycott the Holiday Bowl after the university suspended 10 players during a sexual assault investigation. Coach Tracy Claeys tweeted his support for the players, a factor in his eventual dismissal.

"Any time there's a boycott, that's complete separation," Fleck said. "You've got a team that, wins aside, is completely divided, somehow, some way. When you're walking into that, just like our first team meeting, not every player showed up."

Oh boy, ol' Jer and Tracy aren't going to like this one:

When Fleck arrived in 2017, Coughlin questioned the coach's messages and methods. Minnesota was coming off of a 9-4 season -- its most wins since 2003 -- and a Holiday Bowl win. Coughlin had been a solid freshman contributor (25 tackles, two sacks) and, in his mind, an aspiring leader.

Although Minnesota had been winning before Fleck showed up, the team threatened to boycott the Holiday Bowl after the university suspended 10 players during a sexual assault investigation. Coach Tracy Claeys tweeted his support for the players, a factor in his eventual dismissal.

"Any time there's a boycott, that's complete separation," Fleck said. "You've got a team that, wins aside, is completely divided, somehow, some way. When you're walking into that, just like our first team meeting, not every player showed up."

Yeah, I kind of wish we could put a pin into some of the comments that have been floating around this week so that we can fight about them in February or March. You can tell how pumped up GH is for this game, we aren't fighting.

So will Clifford be injured in the 1st quarter or the 2nd quarter?

And will Hamler be hurt on the same play?

MN Defense has a bodycount (Sindlar, Moore, Vedral, Robinson, Peters, Pigrome...). It has helped us win our games, but has ironically kept us low in the CFP rankings.
If I was PSU, I'd be worried.

MN Defense has a bodycount (Sindlar, Moore, Vedral, Robinson, Peters, Pigrome...). It has helped us win our games, but has ironically kept us low in the CFP rankings.
If I was PSU, I'd be worried.

Don’t forget about the SDSU QB, J’Bore Gibbs. He got injured late in our game and missed the next couple games. RIP your QB against this squad.

From the article: "If No. 1 LSU vs. No. 2 Alabama weren't also happening this Saturday, Minnesota's game against No. 4 Penn State"...... shameless with the rankings. Get that crap out of here, ESPN.

Great ESPN reading! Super exposure for the Gophers!:clap::clap::clap:

And last night on Sportscenter, Ryan Leaf broke down some game film of our passing attack before predicting a Gophers upset. He said there's no reason for the Gophers to not believe in themselves and that he believes in the Gophers too.

Who'd have thunk that Ryan Leaf and Jesse Palmer would be my two favourite college football analysts this year!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

And last night on Sportscenter, Ryan Leaf broke down some game film of our passing attack before predicting a Gophers upset. He said there's no reason for the Gophers to not believe in themselves and that he believes in the Gophers too.

Who'd have thunk that Ryan Leaf and Jesse Palmer would be my two favourite college football analysts this year!

Palmer for sure picked Penn St last night

Palmer for sure picked Penn St last night
Ah....I didn't see that. But he's been on the Gopher bandwagon pretty much all year. Picking Penn State to win doesn't feel like a slight to me.

Is it possible this game is one where the crowd really matters? Loud on defense on 1st down versus just third?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom