Ohio State DE Chase Young suspended indefinitely for potential NCAA violation

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Buckeyes Wire:

Ohio State has confirmed the suspension of arguably the best player in college football per a release.

“Ohio State’s Chase Young will not play in this Saturday’s game between the Buckeyes and the Maryland Terrapins due to a possible NCAA issue from 2018 that the Department of Athletics is looking into.”

Letterman Row, first confirmed the story that Ohio State defensive end Chase Young is facing an indefinite suspension. The official details of why have yet to be confirmed, other than the possible NCAA issue so we’ll have to wait to get further news when the investigation concludes.

There are rumors, and we must point out that they are only rumors at this point, so we’ll refrain from commenting further until something more concrete becomes available.

According to sources close to Letterman Row, and now Ohio State, the suspension will begin for the Heisman Trophy candidate and potential top pick in the NFL Draft starting with the Maryland game this weekend.

Ohio State has been utterly dominant through the first eight games of the year, and has positioned itself as the odds on favorite to get to the College Football Playoff and potentially bring home the national title.

This of course is the last thing anyone in the program needs.

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/2...tate-football-indefinite-suspension-maryland/

Go Gophers!!

Big news. It'll be interesting to see what he/they did.

He's still gonna go top 3 in the draft, so maybe it's time to quietly disappear and prepare for that till this all blows over.

Bleed is too honorable to post a rumor - but I'm not.

Sounds like he took money from an agent.

If true, how does that affect his draft stock? Question is how could someone that highly regarded in the draft do something like that unless it doesn't matter.

Edit: Never mind. Looks my question was already answer as I was typing.

Last edited:

All season long, a college football show, podcast, or news segment can't progress longer than a few seconds before everyone turns to discuss Chase Young and how good he is. Now this? Amazing. It didn't seem like there was anything that could screw up Ohio State's season and perhaps losing their best player isn't enough to do that, but it certainly makes things more interesting.

If they have the vacate wins/forfeit games, it could have a big impact on the Big 10 Championship Game.

If they have the vacate wins/forfeit games, it could have a big impact on the Big 10 Championship Game.

As jaded as I am with the NCAA, I'm doubting a blue blood like Ohio State would ever get its wins vacated. Especially in a potential undefeated season. If this was anyone other that Ohio State, Alabama or maybe Clemson, then yeah, the violating school would get the axe. It's all about the $$.

Last edited:

A Buckeye involved in an inappropriate/illegal activity? I better sit down.

Wow. Boy, he must have some pissed off teammates.

Should the ccg come down Gophers/Buckeyes, no Chase Young makes me feel better. The guy would be in Morgan's grill the whole game.

The NCAA will be in a tough spot to void the tOSU wins but it is easier with PSU in the top four. That way they cannot be accused a bias against the BIG.
tOSU was on probation for a while after the cover up by Tressel of players receiving benefits. That may induce the NCAA to drop a dime on them. I would love it for it means a West team has a better chance of winning the BIG championship game.

Knowing how slow the NCAA moves, I'm guessing this won't be figured out in time for the conference championship game. If they were to vacate games, I'm thinking it won't happen until after the season.

Knowing how slow the NCAA moves, I'm guessing this won't be figured out in time for the conference championship game. If they were to vacate games, I'm thinking it won't happen until after the season.

I know it's not how it works but IMO OSU shouldn't have to vacate wins just because Chase Young was playing when he shouldn't have.

OSU still wins every single game easily without him. If it were him, Field's and Dobbins then I could understand but nobody was beating OSU in any of their games with or without him.

Usually you meet family friends during childhood, not the summer before college

Just happened to meet a family friend when he was a 5 star recruit committed to Ohio St. what luck!

Color me cynical, but...

... this just happens to break before a game against Maryland, a team the Buckeyes could beat with their second team. Maryland game, then the Buckeyes play Rutgers.

... I'll wait and see if he misses any more games than just this one (or this one and Rutgers). After Rutgers comes Penn State; if he's out for that one, then I'm convinced that there's no bias in favor of blue blood programs.

I know it's not how it works but IMO OSU shouldn't have to vacate wins just because Chase Young was playing when he shouldn't have.

OSU still wins every single game easily without him. If it were him, Field's and Dobbins then I could understand but nobody was beating OSU in any of their games with or without him.

He cheated, which means they cheated. Why would they not be punished?

I doubt they would vacate wins unless there is evidence that OSU knew about it before last week and didn't self report until now (i.e. they intentionally played an ineligible player).

He cheated, which means they cheated. Why would they not be punished?

I'm fine if they are punished to an extent but it should not come in the form of vacated wins. Vacating wins implies they wouldn't have won those games had they not cheated which certainly isn't the case.

Top Bottom