Ohio State DE Chase Young suspended indefinitely for potential NCAA violation

Whether or not any Ohio State administrators or coaches knew about this earlier this year will probably be the deciding factor in getting wins vacated. I'm sure sufficient document shredding and email deleting was done before this revelation.

OSU would have 100% beat Wisconsin without Young.

And you don't know that they would've lost without him. Which is why their wins shouldn't be vacated.

Good take.

Same thing for sprinters and cyclists and home run hitters on steroids. How can you know?

Yeah, I generally agree with this, and don't see the point in trying to change the past when teams cheat.

If a team cheats, you cripple their future in a punitive way. Make it painful to recover as a program if you get caught cheating.

And what, punish the guys who were not guilty of anything? This is why rules and laws exist, so the guilty get punished. It is part of the coach's job to know which of his players is a cheat. Otherwise, everything is denied "We did not know where the money for his diamond ear rings came from." Or, in the SEC case, where he got the new Cadilac.

I don't know if it's different in college, but in High School, if an ineligible player appears in the game, you have to forfeit the game. It doesn't matter what the player did in the game. If he just ran down the field on a kickoff, but was ineligible, that is a violation.

In my experience covering HS sports, this comes up in transfer situations. I know of a couple of situations in recent years in SW MN where schools have had to forfeit multiple games after using a player who should not have been eligible.

Again, don't know the college rule, but in HS, the school and AD are presumed to know and follow the rules, so you can't plead ignorance. ineligible is ineligible. can't say "gee, we didn't know."

But in my experience, there are set penalties for a rules violation. it's not a Chinese menu. you don't get to pick one from column A or one from column B.

Yep, this happened at the high school down in Kansas or Missouri recently. Coach fired for changing the ineligible kid’s number, vacated wins. Swift justice. The NCAA does not do anything swiftly. They will study it, gather witnesses, hold committee meetings, and some time in 2021 will mete out harsh justice

/s

I guess a “cheat” is a “cheat”, a violation is a violation, but let’s be honest a lot of these kids came from tough economic family situations and “borrowing” money is a lot less of an offense in my option than let say he doped in enhancement drugs or stole money.

If you believe that story, I have a few bridges I can sell you.

Loan my behind. I'm certain is was pay for play just like has always gone on at Ohio State. Throw the book at them. Give them to death sentence. Actually dig into this a little more and I will be he wasn't the only one receiving "benefits" or "loans".

On the plus side, this can't hurt the Gophers at all, should they get the chance to face them in the BT final.

My hope is now that they look into this so that they find any of the rest of their players did the same thing. We all know at the very last half a dozen of their guys are on the dole somewhere, somehow. Ohio State is one of, if not the dirtiest athletic department in all of college sports.

The money was a loan used to get his girlfriend to the Rose Bowl last year according to BTN.

Last edited:

The money was a loan used to get his girlfirend to the Rose Bowl last year according to BTN.

I wonder if it also included lodging at a fancy hotel and some nice jewelry, because she needs to look good if she's representing her boyfriend at the game. ��

Top Bottom